he grew a beard
- Member for
- 5 years 46 weeks
- View recent blog entries
|9 hours 59 min ago||Harris and Campbell||
Harris and Campbell de-committed before the season started, didn't they?
|4 days 4 hours ago||You can think whatever you||
You can think whatever you would like but you would be wrong. And I am thrilled that I have a new team, thank you very much.
You are the sort of fan that inspired me to drop Michigan two years ago.
|4 days 8 hours ago||I'm not a UM any longer, so||
I'm no longer a UM fan (dropped the team after 2012), so Hoke didn't lose me this season (I hated the hire from day one, btw) but I present my comment I made in the discussion about Morris starting over Gardner for the Minnesota game which I feel turned out to be pretty prescient:
|5 days 6 hours ago||I remember being befuddled by||
I remember being befuddled by native Floridians complaining when the temps dropped below 45 after I moved to Tampa (later Orlando) from Ohio. Personally, I hated the Florida summers (basically May through October) and thought the winters were the most pleasant season down there.
|1 week 4 days ago||Minnesota won't seem so "top||
Minnesota won't seem so "top tier" after they get destroyed by OSU, Wisconsin (on the road) and Nebraska (also on the road) in the next three weeks. Michigan is actually Minnesota's 2nd best win this season. Let that sink in for a moment...
|2 weeks 1 day ago||Is there any way that his||
Is there any way that his Heisman could be taken away retroactively? This kid is the epitome of everthing that is wrong with "amateur" athletics.
|2 weeks 1 day ago||The stats (both offensive and||
The stats (both offensive and defensive) for OSU and MSU are surprisingly similar. People still think of MSU as a grind-it-out defensive team but they are scoring nearly as many points as OSU this year, oddly Sparty's defense isn't quite at its usual dominating level.
The biggest difference in the two teams is that MSU has played two good teams (Oregon in Eugene and Nebraska in EL) while OSU's best opponent thus far has been...Maryland. Add in OSU's loss to a bad Va Tech team, the near loss to a bad PSU team and that the game is a night game in East Lansing and I think the Spartans take this one. MSU by no more than a TD.
|3 weeks 3 hours ago||Counterpoint: The only two||
Counterpoint: The only two teams with good defenses OSU has played (VaTech and PSU) both shut down the OSU offense. In addition, MSU's lone loss was to a very good Oregon team on the road, OSU's lone loss (and they should have a 2nd loss to PSU but for the terrible officiating) was at home to a bleh VaTech team.
|4 weeks 6 days ago||If I were still a betting||
If I were still a betting man, I would take MSU all day long at that line. Spartans will probably win this game by 24-28 pts. Under Hoke UM gets up for the rivalry against OSU and plays well, against Sparty...not so much.
|5 weeks 6 days ago||Mississippi State is to the||
Mississippi State is to the SEC what Indiana is to the B1G: consistent cellar dweller. If Indiana had a coach who had won 7-8 games a year for several years in a row and had his team 6-0 and ranked #1 in the country right now most UM fans would be salivating at the thought of stealing him away from IU.
|7 weeks 5 days ago||I don't believe anyone feels||
I don't believe anyone feels Mullen should be UM's first (or even second) option but he seems to be a solid option.
It seems a little unfair of you to only turn the microscope of "Which teams did this coach beat?" on Mullen yet ignore it for the other coaches you have examined. I suspect you would find a lot of baby seal wins for those coaches as well.
Also, you need to remember that Mississippi State is historically the WORST team in the SEC. Yes, they have a lower all-time winning percentage than either Kentucky or Vanderbilt. Winning 7 games a season at MSU (NTMSU) is a significant accomplishment regardless of who those wins come against. It would be like pooh-poohing the fact that a 14 year old was only beating 17 year old boxers and not Mike Tyson/Muhammad Ali.
The fact that MSU (NTMSU) fans wanted to get rid of him only proves that people 1) have short memories and 2) are stupid.
|7 weeks 6 days ago||I did not see this hit on||
I did not see this hit on Morris live (only saw part of the first half), so I have two questions:
1) Was the Minnesota player ejected? This was an obvious case of targeting.
2) Did Kalis, who appeared to be looking right at the play, do anything in retaliation to the Minnesota player who cheap-shoted Morris? I'm surprised this play did not elicit a brawl between the two teams.
|8 weeks 4 hours ago||How you like me now?||
How you like me now?
|8 weeks 8 hours ago||Presented without comment...||
Michiganman14's pre-season prediction for UM:
I remember having this same feeling after the 1996 and 2005 seasons. Both were dissapointing to say the least but there was a cool confidence and workmanlike approach to the seasons that followed both of those campaigns......eerily similar to this off-season.
Michigan is going to be a vastly improved football team this fall ladies and gentlemen and I will tell you why I think 10+ wins is not only possible...but likely.
1. We have a great quarterback situation. Last season Devin was under seige...still put up admirable numbers despite his inconsistency. Few Qbs in the entire country can play at his ceiling. Devin is back for his 5th year and poised for a monster season. If he should falter......I feel very comfortable with Sugar Shane rifling the pigskin to our arsenal of Man-Sized targets.
2. We have some tremendous size on the edge. I counted 6 wideouts over 6ft2 and all around or over 200lbs. That is not found very many places. We simply have some grown ass men catching the pigskin this year. I truly believe "Funchise" will dominate and the tandem of Darboh/Chesson will be one of if not thee most formidable set of starting WRS in the B1G. Let's not forget the promise Freddy Canteen has shown or the fact that Jake Butt will be back by B1G play. Blocking will not be a problem with this group either which makes way for all types of fun on the edge with sweeps and screens. (Cue the music for Norfleet and Mr. Peppers please)
3. We have Running Backs. Derrick Green has dropped 20 lbs and looks primed to live up to his lofty recruiting ranking. De'veon Smith looks primed to prove that Mike Farrel and company don't know what the hell they are talking about. Neither is a homerun threat which is problematic but there is some hope with Justice Hayes. I'm not certain what the status is with Ty Isaac but if he is eligible.....good lord. I think this set of backs will fit the hard-nosed style that coach Nuss is looking for and given our conference....I think the "home-run" back aspect is slightly negated. Nobody runs 4.3 in the winter time.....nobody.
4. There is too much talent in our O-line segment meeting room and too much pressure on Coach Funk and company to repeat last year's abysmal performance. There needs to be an edge to this group and I believe there will be. They may not be elite this year but I thoroughly expect above average line play. If this happens....our Offense will cruise to around 35-40 ppg. Thats some serious numbers and when you look at our personnel...it's very do-able.
5. Our D-line is deeper than it has been and features a potential B1G DPOY in Frank Clark. I expect a breakout year from our Senior and his bookend teammate Beyer will be serviceable at least. I prefer Charlton (6ft6 275) and Ojemudia due to their explosiveness/size but all 4 will play. Strongside ends will feature a rejuvinated and healthy Chris Wormley (295lbs) along with highly rated Henry Poggi. I am very excited to see Lawrence Marshall in action also.
6. Linebacker play will be a strength this season and likely a top unit in the B1G. James Ross...Joe Bolden....JMFR for God's sake. Nothing but quality behind them:Gedeon, Morgan, McCray, Jenkins-Stone, Gant, Wrangler and Mikey Ferns (6ft4 235). You will be hard-pressed to find a more talented group in the nation...let alone the B1G My only concern is how many of them can truly cover out of the backfield and what mismatches might be presented against the Ohio's of the world.
7. Secondary...meet Nitros aka. Jabril Peppers. He is every ounce of 201 lbs and in the neighborhood of 6ft1. Might possibly be the most heralded talent to don the maize n blue in 15 years. Excitement level = through the roof....and rightfully so. Now think about a seasoned tandem of Blake Countess and Raymon Taylor returning. Channing Stribling has elite lenght and was thrown into the fire last season. Jourdan Lewis had a breakout spring and I've been hearing that the competition is fierce at the corner spot. Brandon Watson enters camp at 190...if he can run and flip his hips at that weight...call me giddy. The safety postion looks solid as long as a few rotation players step up. Wilson, Dymonte Thomas, Jeremy Clark and Reon Dawson will fill the depth chart. Wilson and Thomas stand out to me. Peppers may very well see his Nickel role expanded if either should open the door.
8. Special Teams is a bit of a question mark because of the kicking game. Is Hagerup back to full punting duty? Can Wile make the crunch time kicks? I think our return game will be electric if Hoke puts Peppers back there. Norfleet is still a decent option if not. Overall I look at the talent and athleticism of our roster and cant help but think how good our special teams could be if outfitted appropriately. We have a lot of good football players that are dying to make an impact. If we approach special teams with a Beamer Ball mentality, we could really improve as a team and slide into that 10+ win category.
9. The Schedule will be tough as usual but there is NOT ONE SINGLE MISMATCH on the schedule. We have more overall talent than Michigan State and simply need to match their fire. It has to mean as much to us as it does them. I think you will see that this year. Notre Dame is just a matchup that I always feel confident in. It will be close in South Bend any way you slice it. I don't see an upset happening this year. We get Penn State at home and they simply do not have the depth to match us for 60 minutes. We can match Ohio talent for talent everywhere. They do not have a Jabril Peppers on their team and we have played them to a draw 2 years in a row and come up just short. There will be no fear factor heading into Columbus.
I see us with a 12-0 ceiling and a 9-3 floor. This team will not lose more than 3 games this year. It's too talented and there is too much pressure on the program in general. We have a great blend of proven talent and incoming talent. We have the most electric freshman in the country. We have a chip on our shoulder and a fiery new coordinator who is a winner. We've played a brand of football that has not been Michigan level the last few years. This season is one in which we get back to the standard of Michigan football. I won't gurantee anything as I am just a rabid Michigan fan and average poster......but I wouldn't plan too much around early December and early January. There just might be some extremely important Michigan Football games that you might have to catch a plane to go see. I predict an 11-2 record. What say you MgoFamily?
|8 weeks 1 day ago||If Morris starts and plays||
If Morris starts and plays the majority of the game againt Minnesota, UM will very likely lose the game and almost certainly seal Hoke's fate. Morris and Derrick Green were the two highly rated recruits UM has landed in the last few years that I felt were horribly overrated.
|8 weeks 2 days ago||Correct. Amazingly this game||
Amazingly this game is going to be broadcast across the country (ABC in B1G country and ESPN2 everywhere else). I think it might be a case of ESPN hoping that UM will lose and Hoke will get fired on air during the post-game on-field interview.
|8 weeks 3 days ago||I agree that starting Morris||
I agree that starting Morris seems like a very bad move for UM. I think the best option would be to continue to start Gardner but let him play "backyard football" which is what he seems to do best. Utilize his athleticism and have him run the ball 12-15 times per game via QB iso's, QB draws, zone-read plays and run-pass option rollouts. It's possible he will get injured doing that but then they would just put Morris in like they are thinking about doing anyway.
|8 weeks 3 days ago||23-13 Michigan||
|8 weeks 4 days ago||nevermind....my reply was far||
nevermind....my reply was far too harsh.
|8 weeks 6 days ago||Mullen would be a very solid||
Mullen would be a very solid hire for UM. He has coached MSU for 5 full seasons and has won 56% of his games in those 5 years. The last MSU coach to post a better winning % was Darrell Royal (the legendary coach of Texas) who coached MSU for 2 seasons and went 12-8.
MSU is a historically bad program and the SEC West is currently the best division in CFB, so he is fighting an uphill battle just trying to get 7 wins a season in that division. If he came to UM he could probably win at least 8 games a year pretty easily. In addition, I believe he is from Pennsylvania, so he would probably be amenable to moving back to the Midwest.
|9 weeks 19 hours ago||Has anyone mentioned Bret||
Has anyone mentioned Bret Bilema as a possible hire for Michigan? I know most fans consider BB a meathead/douche but he runs a style of offense that seems to work pretty well and would probably result in a relatively painless transition. He played for Iowa and coached Wisconsin so he has the B1G cred.
|9 weeks 1 day ago||I agree. I don't think this||
I agree. I don't think this "incident" warranted any suspension whatsoever. Are we really going to start supsending players for saying stupid sh*t in public? If so, get used to seeing lots of 3rd stringers on the field for teams across the country.
The alleged sexual misconduct surrounding Winston has no bearing on this issue. If he is guilty of whatever he is accused of, then I hope he rots in prison for a long time.
|9 weeks 3 days ago||My 5 picks from the games you||
My 5 picks from the games you covered:
Minnesota to cover -- Minny has beaten their other two lousy opponents at home by 10+, they'll do the same to a lousy SJSU squad.
UMass to cover and the under -- PSU is the worst undefeated team in the country. UMass gave Vandy a tough game in Nashville and "only" lost to BC 30-7 (BC is better than PSU).
Under in the EMU / Mich St game -- I see a 48-0 or 48-3 type score here. The bye week will leave MSU a little rusty as I doubt they spent much time prepping for EMU and a lot more time partying (McDowell will be happy...), otherwise this would probably be much worse.
Navy to cover -- Rutgers will get run over by the Middies.
|9 weeks 3 days ago||I guess I know what user name||
I guess I know what user name Brady Hoke is posting with on this site now...
|9 weeks 3 days ago||Michigan 27 Utah 34||
Michigan 27 Utah 34
|9 weeks 5 days ago||Idaho State is definitely||
Idaho State is definitely worse than Miami U. ISU plays in the FCS and still puts up terrible records every season. They were 3-9 last year and that is one of their better seasons in recent years. They haven't had a winning season since 2003.
Idaho State is turrible. (Apologies to Sir Charles)
Fresno on the other hand went 11-2 last season and 9-4 in 2012, so I don't know if they have just fallen off a cliff this year or if the teams they have played (USC, Utah and Nebraska) are just awesome.
|9 weeks 5 days ago||I'm an OSU fan (now). I made||
I'm an OSU fan (now). I made a post about this just before the start of the 2013 season: I was a lifelong UM fan for no reason other than I just wanted to be a contrarian. I grew up in Columbus, Ohio and my father was an OSU alum. I just like cheesing my dad off so in typical teenager fashion, I decided to be a UM fan.
Now that I am older (42 yo), I simply want to enjoy myself when I watch CFB and watching UM has NOT been enjoyable for the better part of 10 years, hence the switch to my "hometown" team. I am in no way a UM "hater" (just as I didn't "hate" OSU when I was a UM fan), I hope UM gets back to a level that UM fans are hoping for and I enjoy the writing on MGoBlog...thus my contintued participation on this site.
|9 weeks 5 days ago||Interesting, I love Craig||
Interesting, I love Craig Ross and always miss him when he is not on the show (as he wasn't this past Thursday). I think he and Brian usually have a nice repartee.
|9 weeks 6 days ago||I'm no longer a UM fan and I||
I'm no longer a UM fan and I agree that it appeared on replay that Darboh's knee was down before the ball came out, so I think this is a case of an actual "derp" moment by the officials rather than any maize and blue homerism on your part.
|9 weeks 6 days ago||Chaotic Neutral||
Chaotic Neutral: when you absolutely, positively have to play a schizophrenic psychopath but the DM says, "No evil PC's allowed."
Unfortunately for UM fans, I think Utah pulls off another "stunner" (see Uath vs. UM 2008) in the Big House this coming Saturday. Utah 31 UM 27