The nutty Michigan coverage isn't so much about Harbaugh as it is a signal to the Big Ten that Fox wants to party.
- Member for
- 6 years 34 weeks
- View recent blog entries
|1 week 5 days ago||I'm guessing he has a really||
I'm guessing he has a really BIG...sense of humor.
Fun fact: Olivia Wilde's real last name is Cockburn...so maybe that dude isn't so lucky after all. Ouch!
|8 weeks 14 hours ago||I just figured he decided to||
I just figured he decided to stay at OSU when someone in the AD pointed out that he would have to return his "signing bonus" and other goodies if he voluntarily left OSU.
|11 weeks 5 hours ago||Yeah, but none of the "cool"||
Yeah, but none of the "cool" gamers (oxymoron?) today use alignments; they're just, like, too restrictive, man. Personally, I always preferred alignments like lawful neutral with neutral evil tendencies. That way you had the whole gamut pretty much covered, or, you could just play Chaotic Neutral and do whatever the h*ll you wanted.
As a long lapsed gamer who has just gotten back into the game very recently (via 5th Edition), I am curious to know what you have written for WOTC & Paizo. Magazine articles, supplements, adventures?
|18 weeks 6 days ago||Wouldn't a fight between||
Wouldn't a fight between Batman and Superman last, like, one panel (or approx. 3 seconds) due to Superman crushing Batman's face with one punch?
|25 weeks 1 day ago||I couldn't even recall who||
I couldn't even recall who the villain was in Quantum of Solace which was just a horrible, horrible movie. The only good thing about QoS was that it introduced us to Olga Kurylenko.
|25 weeks 5 days ago||As a (David) Lipscomb grad,||
As a (David) Lipscomb grad, Belmont will always be the hated Rebels to me!
Actually, I never cared that much about the Battle of the Boulevards stuff when I was attending (David) Lipscomb but I am surprised at how easily Belmont made the transition to the NCAA from the NAIA while Lipscomb's once proud basketball program is now a complete joke after making the same transition.
|28 weeks 3 days ago||Since this is a Way OT||
Since this is a Way OT computer related thread and my question doesn't merit making it's own Way OT computer related thread, I'll just ask it here:
I am considering a career change (actually don't have a career right now, alas) into computer programming and have only recently learned about coding bootcamps. Are there any MGoUsers who have attended a coding bootcamp (or know anyone who has) and could offer any insights into their experiences? Are there any people who are involved in hiring programmers who could comment on their opinion regarding the desirability of coding bootcamp graduates as potential employees versus more traditionally schooled applicants?
|38 weeks 5 days ago||Personally, I still don't||
Personally, I still don't consider Nebraska to be a "real" B1G team, let them go back to the Big XII, I say.
|39 weeks 14 hours ago||In Florida's case wasn't it||
In Florida's case wasn't it actually the AD Foley who didn't like Mullen? If so, then it would make sense for his opinion to matter since he is...you know, the guy doing the hiring. What Carr thinks about UM football and who the next coach should be should mean less than nothing to anyone.
|39 weeks 14 hours ago||Sure looks like it, doesn't||
Sure looks like it, doesn't it? Fallout FTW!
|39 weeks 2 days ago||I will be disappointed if||
In the immortal words of the Dread Pirate Westley: Get used to disappointment.
Acutally, I think UM might be able to beat MSU next season if a bunch of Sparty's good juniors leave for the NFL. OSU...not so much.
|39 weeks 5 days ago||I haven't followed the NFL in||
I haven't followed the NFL in years; when did coaches start getting "traded"? I have never heard of a coach being traded before.
|40 weeks 4 days ago||Based on that schedule and||
Based on that schedule and UM's roster (specifically the weaknesses at the skill positions on offense), I predict a 6-6 or 7-5 regular season for UM in 2015.
|40 weeks 5 days ago||Harris and Campbell||
Harris and Campbell de-committed before the season started, didn't they?
|41 weeks 2 days ago||You can think whatever you||
You can think whatever you would like but you would be wrong. And I am thrilled that I have a new team, thank you very much.
You are the sort of fan that inspired me to drop Michigan two years ago.
|41 weeks 2 days ago||I'm not a UM any longer, so||
I'm no longer a UM fan (dropped the team after 2012), so Hoke didn't lose me this season (I hated the hire from day one, btw) but I present my comment I made in the discussion about Morris starting over Gardner for the Minnesota game which I feel turned out to be pretty prescient:
|41 weeks 3 days ago||I remember being befuddled by||
I remember being befuddled by native Floridians complaining when the temps dropped below 45 after I moved to Tampa (later Orlando) from Ohio. Personally, I hated the Florida summers (basically May through October) and thought the winters were the most pleasant season down there.
|42 weeks 2 days ago||Minnesota won't seem so "top||
Minnesota won't seem so "top tier" after they get destroyed by OSU, Wisconsin (on the road) and Nebraska (also on the road) in the next three weeks. Michigan is actually Minnesota's 2nd best win this season. Let that sink in for a moment...
|42 weeks 6 days ago||Is there any way that his||
Is there any way that his Heisman could be taken away retroactively? This kid is the epitome of everthing that is wrong with "amateur" athletics.
|43 weeks 4 hours ago||The stats (both offensive and||
The stats (both offensive and defensive) for OSU and MSU are surprisingly similar. People still think of MSU as a grind-it-out defensive team but they are scoring nearly as many points as OSU this year, oddly Sparty's defense isn't quite at its usual dominating level.
The biggest difference in the two teams is that MSU has played two good teams (Oregon in Eugene and Nebraska in EL) while OSU's best opponent thus far has been...Maryland. Add in OSU's loss to a bad Va Tech team, the near loss to a bad PSU team and that the game is a night game in East Lansing and I think the Spartans take this one. MSU by no more than a TD.
|43 weeks 5 days ago||Counterpoint: The only two||
Counterpoint: The only two teams with good defenses OSU has played (VaTech and PSU) both shut down the OSU offense. In addition, MSU's lone loss was to a very good Oregon team on the road, OSU's lone loss (and they should have a 2nd loss to PSU but for the terrible officiating) was at home to a bleh VaTech team.
|45 weeks 4 days ago||If I were still a betting||
If I were still a betting man, I would take MSU all day long at that line. Spartans will probably win this game by 24-28 pts. Under Hoke UM gets up for the rivalry against OSU and plays well, against Sparty...not so much.
|46 weeks 4 days ago||Mississippi State is to the||
Mississippi State is to the SEC what Indiana is to the B1G: consistent cellar dweller. If Indiana had a coach who had won 7-8 games a year for several years in a row and had his team 6-0 and ranked #1 in the country right now most UM fans would be salivating at the thought of stealing him away from IU.
|48 weeks 3 days ago||I don't believe anyone feels||
I don't believe anyone feels Mullen should be UM's first (or even second) option but he seems to be a solid option.
It seems a little unfair of you to only turn the microscope of "Which teams did this coach beat?" on Mullen yet ignore it for the other coaches you have examined. I suspect you would find a lot of baby seal wins for those coaches as well.
Also, you need to remember that Mississippi State is historically the WORST team in the SEC. Yes, they have a lower all-time winning percentage than either Kentucky or Vanderbilt. Winning 7 games a season at MSU (NTMSU) is a significant accomplishment regardless of who those wins come against. It would be like pooh-poohing the fact that a 14 year old was only beating 17 year old boxers and not Mike Tyson/Muhammad Ali.
The fact that MSU (NTMSU) fans wanted to get rid of him only proves that people 1) have short memories and 2) are stupid.
|48 weeks 4 days ago||I did not see this hit on||
I did not see this hit on Morris live (only saw part of the first half), so I have two questions:
1) Was the Minnesota player ejected? This was an obvious case of targeting.
2) Did Kalis, who appeared to be looking right at the play, do anything in retaliation to the Minnesota player who cheap-shoted Morris? I'm surprised this play did not elicit a brawl between the two teams.
|48 weeks 5 days ago||How you like me now?||
How you like me now?
|48 weeks 5 days ago||Presented without comment...||
Michiganman14's pre-season prediction for UM:
I remember having this same feeling after the 1996 and 2005 seasons. Both were dissapointing to say the least but there was a cool confidence and workmanlike approach to the seasons that followed both of those campaigns......eerily similar to this off-season.
Michigan is going to be a vastly improved football team this fall ladies and gentlemen and I will tell you why I think 10+ wins is not only possible...but likely.
1. We have a great quarterback situation. Last season Devin was under seige...still put up admirable numbers despite his inconsistency. Few Qbs in the entire country can play at his ceiling. Devin is back for his 5th year and poised for a monster season. If he should falter......I feel very comfortable with Sugar Shane rifling the pigskin to our arsenal of Man-Sized targets.
2. We have some tremendous size on the edge. I counted 6 wideouts over 6ft2 and all around or over 200lbs. That is not found very many places. We simply have some grown ass men catching the pigskin this year. I truly believe "Funchise" will dominate and the tandem of Darboh/Chesson will be one of if not thee most formidable set of starting WRS in the B1G. Let's not forget the promise Freddy Canteen has shown or the fact that Jake Butt will be back by B1G play. Blocking will not be a problem with this group either which makes way for all types of fun on the edge with sweeps and screens. (Cue the music for Norfleet and Mr. Peppers please)
3. We have Running Backs. Derrick Green has dropped 20 lbs and looks primed to live up to his lofty recruiting ranking. De'veon Smith looks primed to prove that Mike Farrel and company don't know what the hell they are talking about. Neither is a homerun threat which is problematic but there is some hope with Justice Hayes. I'm not certain what the status is with Ty Isaac but if he is eligible.....good lord. I think this set of backs will fit the hard-nosed style that coach Nuss is looking for and given our conference....I think the "home-run" back aspect is slightly negated. Nobody runs 4.3 in the winter time.....nobody.
4. There is too much talent in our O-line segment meeting room and too much pressure on Coach Funk and company to repeat last year's abysmal performance. There needs to be an edge to this group and I believe there will be. They may not be elite this year but I thoroughly expect above average line play. If this happens....our Offense will cruise to around 35-40 ppg. Thats some serious numbers and when you look at our personnel...it's very do-able.
5. Our D-line is deeper than it has been and features a potential B1G DPOY in Frank Clark. I expect a breakout year from our Senior and his bookend teammate Beyer will be serviceable at least. I prefer Charlton (6ft6 275) and Ojemudia due to their explosiveness/size but all 4 will play. Strongside ends will feature a rejuvinated and healthy Chris Wormley (295lbs) along with highly rated Henry Poggi. I am very excited to see Lawrence Marshall in action also.
6. Linebacker play will be a strength this season and likely a top unit in the B1G. James Ross...Joe Bolden....JMFR for God's sake. Nothing but quality behind them:Gedeon, Morgan, McCray, Jenkins-Stone, Gant, Wrangler and Mikey Ferns (6ft4 235). You will be hard-pressed to find a more talented group in the nation...let alone the B1G My only concern is how many of them can truly cover out of the backfield and what mismatches might be presented against the Ohio's of the world.
7. Secondary...meet Nitros aka. Jabril Peppers. He is every ounce of 201 lbs and in the neighborhood of 6ft1. Might possibly be the most heralded talent to don the maize n blue in 15 years. Excitement level = through the roof....and rightfully so. Now think about a seasoned tandem of Blake Countess and Raymon Taylor returning. Channing Stribling has elite lenght and was thrown into the fire last season. Jourdan Lewis had a breakout spring and I've been hearing that the competition is fierce at the corner spot. Brandon Watson enters camp at 190...if he can run and flip his hips at that weight...call me giddy. The safety postion looks solid as long as a few rotation players step up. Wilson, Dymonte Thomas, Jeremy Clark and Reon Dawson will fill the depth chart. Wilson and Thomas stand out to me. Peppers may very well see his Nickel role expanded if either should open the door.
8. Special Teams is a bit of a question mark because of the kicking game. Is Hagerup back to full punting duty? Can Wile make the crunch time kicks? I think our return game will be electric if Hoke puts Peppers back there. Norfleet is still a decent option if not. Overall I look at the talent and athleticism of our roster and cant help but think how good our special teams could be if outfitted appropriately. We have a lot of good football players that are dying to make an impact. If we approach special teams with a Beamer Ball mentality, we could really improve as a team and slide into that 10+ win category.
9. The Schedule will be tough as usual but there is NOT ONE SINGLE MISMATCH on the schedule. We have more overall talent than Michigan State and simply need to match their fire. It has to mean as much to us as it does them. I think you will see that this year. Notre Dame is just a matchup that I always feel confident in. It will be close in South Bend any way you slice it. I don't see an upset happening this year. We get Penn State at home and they simply do not have the depth to match us for 60 minutes. We can match Ohio talent for talent everywhere. They do not have a Jabril Peppers on their team and we have played them to a draw 2 years in a row and come up just short. There will be no fear factor heading into Columbus.
I see us with a 12-0 ceiling and a 9-3 floor. This team will not lose more than 3 games this year. It's too talented and there is too much pressure on the program in general. We have a great blend of proven talent and incoming talent. We have the most electric freshman in the country. We have a chip on our shoulder and a fiery new coordinator who is a winner. We've played a brand of football that has not been Michigan level the last few years. This season is one in which we get back to the standard of Michigan football. I won't gurantee anything as I am just a rabid Michigan fan and average poster......but I wouldn't plan too much around early December and early January. There just might be some extremely important Michigan Football games that you might have to catch a plane to go see. I predict an 11-2 record. What say you MgoFamily?
|48 weeks 6 days ago||If Morris starts and plays||
If Morris starts and plays the majority of the game againt Minnesota, UM will very likely lose the game and almost certainly seal Hoke's fate. Morris and Derrick Green were the two highly rated recruits UM has landed in the last few years that I felt were horribly overrated.
|49 weeks 9 hours ago||Correct. Amazingly this game||
Amazingly this game is going to be broadcast across the country (ABC in B1G country and ESPN2 everywhere else). I think it might be a case of ESPN hoping that UM will lose and Hoke will get fired on air during the post-game on-field interview.
|49 weeks 1 day ago||I agree that starting Morris||
I agree that starting Morris seems like a very bad move for UM. I think the best option would be to continue to start Gardner but let him play "backyard football" which is what he seems to do best. Utilize his athleticism and have him run the ball 12-15 times per game via QB iso's, QB draws, zone-read plays and run-pass option rollouts. It's possible he will get injured doing that but then they would just put Morris in like they are thinking about doing anyway.