Yo this is going to be some #content right here, since I don’t have time for nothing else. I was going through our lists in preparation to transfer the tertiary things to the new site (don’t ask) and this reminded me it had been a long time since we cleaned up the links on the sidebar.
I’ve done so, but it hurt to remove some old bookmarks I used to check every day. So they don’t all just get summarily dumped, I figured a thread in tribute to some great Michigan writing during the formative years of blogging was in order. If you joined the sphere too late for the age when 20-something Michigan fans all had blogspots and tried to invent our own shticks so as to not come off as LiveJournals, some of them are worth going back and reading.
A top three:
An X’s and O’s Michigan blog. Chris Gaerig is one of those guys I keep meaning to contact about writing for HTTV sometime because he was a fantastic writer as well as a deep thinker about specific Michigan plays. His posts used to get linked regularly in UFRs. Neck Sharpies exists because I set out myself to fill some of the void he left. Also: basketball.
There are two types of MGoBlog readers: those who think we have too much hockey, and those who think it’s awful how little we cover hockey. Tim Williams started his site because we didn’t have enough hockey coverage at MGoBlog and if he still had time to write he’d be a regular here, since we’re all among the former as well.
Though he has a far better writing gig these days, I still think of him as Johnny RBUAS. If you have ever wanted to feel very emotional about a beloved Michigan player’s fictionalized stream of consciousness, this site was for you. If you haven’t, really that’s okay, I won’t curl up in a ball and cry, unless Johnny RBUAS writes about it. Bonus: the url was umichedme dot blogspot.
Others I remember and don’t:
- The Ace of Sports—His name was Ace (actually Harry), and he liked M and Detroit sports. Get it?
- Autumn Thunder—The half-assed Michigan blog. MS Paint, Hart, and more Hart. Still occasionally useful, though some of his best work has grown outdated.
- Bitter Rivals—Short-lived M v MSU site, beat Mike Hart to the fraternal metaphor.
- Blah Blah Blah—2008 was not the year to start blogging about Michigan.
- Hokeamaniac—That didn’t last.
- In Rod We Trust—That didn’t last either.
- Maize Wings—Very late to the very late-‘00s blogging party
- MGoBlue Football
- Michigan Football Recruiting—Guy I grew up with made a crootin site.
- Michigan Football Saturdays—Dedicated blogger in the era of everyone had a blog
- Michigan Hockey Net—Covered M hockey, Red Wings
- MMMGoBlueBBQ—Joe Pichey wrote for himself before he wrote for us.
- Stadium & Main
- The Diag—MLive tried to have a blog
- The Game—Can’t think why a M fan wouldn’t want to post daily about the M-OSU rivalry anymore.
- The M Zone—Humor site, now a worthy follow.
- The Michigan Faithful
- The Wolverine Blog
- Three And Out
- UMGoBlog—Annoyingly, would get our traffic. Annoyingly, UMGoBlue.com took his twitter handle.
- Victors Valiant—Had useful previews.
- When Carcajous Attack!—Used to have some great previews, joined Maize ‘n Brew for a time.
- Wolverine Liberation Army—Only the unicorns remain of the once proud proletariat
- Wolverines Daily
What did I miss? What do you miss?