With the endless CC & recruiting threads, something obvious just struck me. Not only has DB done a great job of not wavering and staying on message, he has also done a great job of maintaining an invulnerable cloak of silence. So often, someone in the office blabs what is going to happen. To be true, this often is caused by someone at the top sharing info with someone who can't be trusted. I think that there may have been some version of this that happened in the coaching search after Carr. (Specifically, in regards to Les Miles.) Perhaps DB learned from that debacle. Regardless, he has done a masterful job of keeping his own mouth shut.
DB's ability to keep his own counsel and keep his mouth shut will pay dividends in various ways. He is sending a clear message to the entire athletic program.
- First, he is a man of his word.
- Second, he will not be swayed by the masses or by media pressure.
- Third, if he is willing to act this way with the football program, no less can be expected all the way down through all sports teams at Michigan.
- Fourth, there are very limited backdoors in the athletic administration. Often, there are toadies or folks behind the scenes who spill the beans. Having a united front and lack of loose lips in the admin is very impressive.
- Fifth, no one in the media can expect special treatment from DB.
I'm reminded of the scene in "The Right Stuff" where John Glenn refuses to cave to media whore pressure from LBJ. By DB taking heat now, and yes, causing some discomfort for RR & for the recruiting world, healthy patterns are being set that will pay significant dividends throughout all sports at Michigan for years to come. I salute him, and have full confidence in the process as regards RR & our football team.