Sorry I know there are several other threads, but given our junkie nature I thought many would still want to see. Plus I disagree w/ some of the other scrimmage updates. Pardon any spelling errors, have to post this and get to work
- Nothing original on Denard: looks comfortable, made some nice throws, seems in charge of the O. Wouldn't want to have to tackle him
- It doesn't look like they have any intention of redshirting DG. Looked great, made one very poor decision. He can't have the O down yet, can he?
- Tate ran with the 3's, but later with the 1's and 2's. He has the best touch of the three, though the least zip. Still feel most comfortable with him at the helm, though Denard did nothing to lessen my confidence in him. Tate did NOT overthrow any fades: on 3 pass plays from the 2 yard line, he threw the ball away (the one running play was stuffed). Great because 1) this was the first string D, and they had everyone covered, 2) Tate did not try to shoehorn the ball in. He's taking care of the ball. Rejoice. He had one classic improvised TD pass where he motioned the receiver over, and the lone long pass of the scrimmage was on the money. The receiver dropped it / pass interference.
- Unfortunately, it still looks to me like none of the 3 are naturals at the zone read.
- At the end of the scrimmage, RR has them run laps around the field. Denard first every time by a wide margin. Tate working hard, but last nearly every time (sometimes getting in front of DG). In an offense when the QB is expected to run, this explains the wings thing. Denard is in outstanding shape.
RB's - Also differ here, I didn't think Hopkins looked as great as everyone else did. Not a diss (dis? sp?) on his play - he ran very hard - but I didn't see the world beater others did. Much like the other scrimmages, all the RBs looked good, but none really stood out. We have options in Cox and Shaw. Though V. Smith, as reported, looks great - no noticeable effects from the injury.
Yes, Kelvin Grady everywhere. He looks calm, matter-of-fact and natural. WTF after being nearly invisible in the spring. We have lots and lots and lots of slots
Huyge and D'stein are your starting tackles at the moment. And I'm fine with that. Omameh is gd beast, and Schilling looks all-conference.
Defense: They look more smash-mouth in the Front 7. Moundros starts in the middle, looks like he's been playing there for a while. A run stuffer certainly. Middle zone coverage? Not enough data. Ezeh also stuffed the run and took on blocks at Mouton's spot. Roh will be a beast, but given almost all of the throws were short, his pass rush didn't have time to get home.
Vlad will hit you, but we all knew that. Cam Gordon is going to be very good, I think. Big boy. He was in position to make two great tackles, but unfortunately didn't wrapup and was pulled off the field. Later returned with the 1's. Going to take some time
JT Floyd looks good, Rogers looks big. Teric Jones and Christian are your 2's. Talbott and Avery don't look undersized, and don't look overwhelmed. Again, hard to judge corner play given the nature of the throws. But Christian has a way of moving that reminds one of Woodson. He moves like he knows he's good. I think Marvin Robinson will be helping the team very soon.
We look Bend But Don't Break, which we all knew, and we'll have to be at least early
Field goals looked a bit worse than average. Hagerup boomed one, short-legged two
Based on pathetically little evidence: It did appear that Big Will was running with the 3's, but he also looks very tough to block. Don't know if he's turned the corner to actually making plays yet. Davion Rogers is skinnier than you imagine. Open that time capsule up in 2011 at least if you're hoping to see him play. Jake Ryan looks like a good MLB at some point. Josh Furman passes the eyeball test. Didn't see Carvin Johnson on the field, and was looking for him (may have been banged up). Noticed a #67 jersery (Nathan Brink?) more often than I noticed LaLota in the second and third teams. Shook RR's hand, seems like a good man.
Overall, O looks great and D not bad. I am beyond excited for this season.