- Member for
- 8 years 22 weeks
- View recent blog entries
|4 weeks 5 days ago||It has been 20+ years since||
It has been 20+ years since I've lived in Ann Arbor, so I recogonize virtually none of those restaurants.
My drunk food was always Back Room Pizza. Tried it sober once, almost put me off it forever.
Most of my go to places are now closed. I loved La Pinata when I was growing up. I'm sure if it still existed and I went there now, I wouldn't think it was very special, but man did I love that place.
I'm fairly certain everyone in my family induced labor by going to Szechuan West. Take that however you want.
For the upscale, I don't think I had as many options as there are now. Plus I was either A) a minor or B) poor. That said when we went "upscale" Palio's was the place or any of the Main Street ventures. I was never a fan of Gandy Dancer. Don't even remember why.
For alcohol, I never really went more upscale than Mitch's. I went to a brew pub once, I don't even remember the name -- I think it was on Liberty St. I did like that place, but at the time I didn't spend money on good beer. Nowadays I would love that place, if I could remember the name.
|5 weeks 2 days ago||Thanks for putting this||
Thanks for putting this together. A little suprising that ESPN is the leader. My only comment about the ratings is that it seems that you get the same amount of points for being the least wrongest as being dead on about a prospect.
|11 weeks 4 days ago||1. Team MVP - Peppers 2.||
1. Team MVP - Peppers
2. Offensive MVP - Darboh, picked up Chesson's slack, and was our go to guy in big situations.
3. Defensive MVP - Peppers, his versatility allowed UM to do all kinds of wonderful things.
4. Special Teams MVP - Kenny Allen -- UM was one of the best if not the best in Average starting field position and Allen was a big reason why (Peppers is the other, but didn't do much the last 3 weeks). Allen also didn't miss a FG after the Wisconsin debacle
5. Best Offensive Player - Butt.
6. Best Defensive Player - Lewis. Peppers was more important, but you simply couldn't throw on Lewis
7. Most Improved - Offense-Mangnuson, he was probably our best lineman week in week out. Defense - Gedeon hard to believe he didn't get more playing time in previous years.
8. Freshman - Evans. Added explosive plays to our offense which we needed. Gary was great but seemed to hit the freshman wall.
9. Coordinator/Position Coach of the Year: Brown
10. Most Underrated: Magnuson -- we're going to miss him next year.
11. Favorite Offensive Player -- Butt
12. Favorite Defensive Player -- Charlton -- he was a beast by the end of the year.
13. Play/Highlight of the Year -- Train formation
14. Game of the Year -- Michigan vs OSU. Despite the outcome, these were clearly 2 of the top 4 teams in the country.
15. Favorite Moment -- Peppers returning the 2-pt conversion against MSU because Dantonio is a prick. I would have laughed so hard if MSU recovered the on-side kick.
|14 weeks 2 days ago||I think he means that if the||
I think he means that if the OSU team that played Northwestern shows up we would likely beat them. [Unless of course the UM team that played Iowa shows up]
|14 weeks 3 days ago||They tried that a few years||
They tried that a few years ago. UM always lost straight up when they strayed from the Kenpom prediction. Now they always pick whatever Kenpom does, lest they anger the baskeball gods.
|16 weeks 1 day ago||Probably the same way that||
Probably the same way that Iowa has the best OL in the country.
|16 weeks 1 day ago||Yes, I was thinking of Oregon||
Yes, I was thinking of Oregon State, and spelled his name wrong.
Gary Andersen is the coach of Oregon State and Mike Riley is the coach at Nebraska.
|16 weeks 1 day ago||1. I think it has to be||
1. I think it has to be someone from the west, thus Wisconsin is my pick -- I think it will be too difficult to beat Harbaugh and Meyer in the same year.
2. Improves the most, I'll say Illinois. Lovie can coach and the west will be the easier division. [Though Purdue can make some noise with the right hire]
3. I'll be contrarian and say Nebraska will be the team to slide. They are recruiting low 3-stars and Gary Anderson will turn Nebraska into the Oregon State of the B1G. I don't believe that Dantonio/MSU will slide despite this year.
|16 weeks 2 days ago||I think I got the Refs at||
I think I got the Refs at -22, which is easily the worst number I've seen by a factor of 2. It doesn't even include the OPI that Brian referenced or the first Lewis PI. That is insane.
|16 weeks 3 days ago||I, for one, will not miss||
I, for one, will not miss Alex Olah one bit. That dude destroyed Michigan every single time.
|16 weeks 4 days ago||I hate MSU -- they are||
I hate MSU -- they are obnoxious losers and even worse winners. 1990 tripping Desmond to win the game. 2001 Spartan Bob blatant cheating. 2011 delibrately trying to injure our players. 2014 running up the score.
Also, I've mentioned this before, but I hate Indiana basketball so much that I want their football team to lose every game.
|16 weeks 4 days ago||From a pure SOS standpoint,||
From a pure SOS standpoint, Clemson > Alabama=Michigan, plus Clemson has already played their 3 toughest games. From a performance standpoint Alabama=Michigan>Clemson. With Alabama as defending champ, they will be #1. Depending on the weight they give the SOS vs performance Clemson and Michigan will be #2 and #3. Washington will be a distant #4 with Louisville and OSU right behind.
|17 weeks 2 days ago||They also have Simone Manuel||
They also have Simone Manuel and Ella Eastin; beating Stanford will be very difficult come NCAAs.
|18 weeks 2 days ago||1. Being a Lions fan||
1. Being a Lions fan automatically lowers my interest in the NFL.
2. Officiating sucks. A few years back when the replacement refs were there, everyone got all up in arms at the bad calls, but I didn't notice a difference. Hell, it feels like every other week the NFL is apologizing to the Lions for whatever they effed up that week. Top that off with "What is a catch?" It should be simple, but they have mangled it so badly that no one knows any more. [Like targetting on steroids]
3. Commercials combined with the blackout rules. I can't watch the NFL anymore -- TD - Commercial while they review - XP - Commercial - KO - Commercial - Run a play - Injury time out. I watch for 10-15 minutes and see about 2 real plays.
As everyone correctly points out, it can be nearly as bad in College, but with the college game I just flip it over to one of the dozen other games being televised. CBS, ABC, FOX, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, (ESPNews), CBSSports, BTN, SEC Network, PAC-12 Network, (BTN-Alternate), (SEC-Alternate) could all be showing a game. It gets tricky around halftime of the noon window trying to find the game that isn't at halftime, but once you cycle through everything the 2nd half is about to start.
If you're lucky there will be a whopping two games on at the same time in the NFL. (And good luck being able to watch my Lions out of market). I sure as heck am not going to pay $350 to watch a couple more games (because see 1-2).
|18 weeks 3 days ago||PFF lost a ton of credibility||
PFF lost a ton of credibility with me when they named Iowa the #1 Offensive Line in the country. Iowa. 56th in Adjusted Line Yards and 107 in Adjusted Sack Rate.
|19 weeks 3 days ago||1. Pleasant Surprise?||
1. Pleasant Surprise? Linebacker play -- Our supposed weak point coming in to the season, is actually a strength.
2. Downer? Speight. He is the ceiling of this team. His accuracy is not what I thought it would be. [Newsome injury question: if Michigan plays 15 games this year, wouldn't the 30% threshold be 4.5 games - and he can apply for a Medical hardship?]
3. Most improved? Kalis, even to my laymen eyeballs he has improved a lot.
4. 2nd Half Emergence? Chesson, I think the injury got him out of sync with Speight and he will continue to get better as the season goes along.
5. Expectations relative to preseason? On track to slightly above, since it appears as though UCF and Colorado are significantly better than I thought and we stil won by a large margin. [You can probably add PSU and Wisconsin to the better than expected]
6. Biggest Surprise of Conference? Up: OSU (pissing me off) Down: Iowa: They were 12-0 and returned almost everyone, but they look downright bad. [I expected MSU to be mediocre, but I did think it was too much to hope for this type of performance. They were an 8-4 quality team last year with a golden horseshoe up their ass and they lost their best players from that team.]
7. National? Up: Louisville - Lamar Jackson is freaking amazing. Washington - Thought they would be very good, but they look like they legitmately belong in the CFP. Down: Oklahoma - Preseason I thought they would beat Houston and OSU, weren't close on either.
8. 3 Stats? 1. Only Lewis & Peppers makes 1st team all B1G from the defense. Nine others make either 2nd or 3rd team.
2. Speight finishes <60% completion, 20TD, 5INT (2 in The Game)
3. Michigan finishes with over 3000 yards rushing (first time since 2010)
|19 weeks 5 days ago||Worst||
Worst: I don't know how much we learned about the team. It was less instructive than Baby Seal U. Rutgers is bad.
|19 weeks 5 days ago||I remember the play, iIt was||
I remember the play, iIt was definitely McCray.
|20 weeks 3 days ago||This is going to be one of||
This is going to be one of those games where I will be upset when Rutgers crosses the line of scrimmage.
|21 weeks 2 days ago||The quotes about Kenny Allen||
The quotes about Kenny Allen are concerning -- sounds like he has the yips.
|22 weeks 6 days ago||I'm not as concerned with||
I'm not as concerned with Speight as others. Yes the 3/12 start is ugly, but Colorado had the #1 Passing Efficiency Defense coming in, with a legitimate lock down corner. After Speight's 3-12 start he went 13-18 for 200+ yards 1 TD and 0 INT. I am willing to say that this might be the best secondary we see all season.
|22 weeks 6 days ago||Special Teams probably won us||
Special Teams probably won us the game -- we had at least 14 points and it set up another 7-10.
Kenny Allen had a horrible day -- I almost hope he was injured or sick.
|22 weeks 6 days ago||F for game planning and||
F for game planning and preparation
The players did not look ready to play at the start of the game -- Darboh's drop, terrible punt and coverage, missed assignments on offense.
I don't know why we kept throwing the fly pattern when it wasn't open. I didn't like the QB shuffling at the start -- it didn't allow Speight to get into a rhythm.
A for adjustments.
They saw what Colorado was doing on defense and attacked the edges in the running game and started hitting Butt underneath instead of trying a hopeless deep ball.
On defense they started hitting the QB and forced him out of his rhythm -- even before we knocked him out of the game.
I'm glad Butt said that they had a terrible week of practice -- it means that they will prepare better now.
|25 weeks 2 days ago||For Game 1. What about the||
For Game 1. What about the other 14 games?
|25 weeks 2 days ago||I think the over/under on||
I think the over/under on USC is because of their schedule. Alabama, Notre Dame, @ Stanford, @ Washington are all going to be very difficult games. They would basically need to sweep the rest of their schedule to hit the over.
Surprised your model likes the Texas A&M defense -- I thought their defense was their weak point a year ago (if I am remembering last year and S&P+ numbers correctly -- and it is entirely possible I'm not). [Looks like their run defense was bad last year]. They also have a tough schedule.
I am glad that both you and S&P hate MSU. Please let this happen. Maybe they can have the opposite luck as last year and miss a bowl game altogether. Though that seems farfetched.
|25 weeks 4 days ago||Comcast can call themselves||
Comcast can call themselves Xfinity all they want, I still hate them and will do everything in my power to not give them money.
|25 weeks 4 days ago||I've not watched UNC-Duke||
I've not watched UNC-Duke basketball because Vitale was on the call.
If I have a choice between OSU trouncing someone 55-0, Memphis vs Army, and Pam Ward calling a competitive game between Iowa-Wisconsin, I know which game I'm Not watching.
|26 weeks 1 day ago||I was one of the few that||
I was one of the few that went to Scorekeepers. And I forgot about Backroom. I loved that place.
|26 weeks 1 day ago||I think my week in Senior||
I think my week in Senior Year was something like this:
Tuesday -- Touchdown Cafe for 25 cent wings
Wednesday -- Back to Touchdown Cafe for $1 pitchers
Thursday -- I remember leaving my apartment the second Seinfeld ended to make it to Scorekeeprs just before the cover charge started @ 10 and I just needed to wait 5 minutes before the $5 pitchers of Leinenkugel started also @ 10.
Friday -- Mitch's
Saturday -- Usually a house party
Rick's was never a consideration.
|26 weeks 4 days ago||Michigan: Anthony Carter,||
Michigan: Anthony Carter, Charles Woodson
Non-Michigan: As others have said Vince Young, and N. Suh
I'll also say that Christian McCaffrey's performance against Iowa was insane. I very much look forward to seeing what he can do this year.