this may be of some local interest
- Member for
- 8 years 8 weeks
- View recent blog entries
|5 days 15 hours ago||Happy Friday||
|1 week 3 days ago||Relax a bit, Hemingway||
While you may not care for the style, the OP wrote a post that included actual facts and an honest questioining of the current situatioin. You wrote a very strong (and might I add "douchey" if it is a word) post alleging something and provided zero evidence to back it up.
|1 week 5 days ago||Not sure on the 1500, but my||
Not sure on the 1500, but my assumption is that it is a remant from the bad ole days when womens events were designed to be less strenuous than mens. Perhaps I'm dating myself a bit, but I can remember the first Olympic women's marathon won by Joan Benoit. It was way back in 1984. That's right, a mere 40 years ago we still didn't let women run a marathon in the Olympics.
|1 week 5 days ago||A couple comments from a||
A couple comments from a former swimmer:
(1) The IM argument isn't realy the best argument to make. Competing in the IM doesn't require some type of additional level of skill, time to train, or effort to be good. In general you can think of it like this: IM swimmers are just swimmers that decide to train for the IM. The winner of the IM events is no more special than the winner of any other event.
(2) Competing and winning in multiple strokes is little more difficult than just swimming one, as a swimmer may find themselves competing against other swimmers that concentrate on only one stroke. For example, Phelps is going up against guys in the 100 Fly that are exclusively Flyers. That being said, there is quite a bit of carryover between Free, Back, and Fly so while it is a bit more impressive its not excactly multi-sport, Bo jackson territory. So we can give Hosszu some props for being a winner in the IMs and the 200 Back (assuming she takes gold).
(3) What is probably the most impressive feat in swimming is being good across muliple and/or large distances (this is the same as track and field). Looking at Ladecky, her gold in the 200 combined with a gold in the 800 is impressive by itself, but when you consider that she holds the WR in 1500 (which they don't have for women in the Olympics) she is a much more impressive swimmer that Hosszu.
By the way, 528.com did a pretty good piece on Ladecky. They looked at historical data across the events she swims and it shows some pretty eye opening thinngs.
|1 week 5 days ago||Bang Bang||
Happy Friday All
Last weekend before I start a new job.
I can smell football in the air.
Great to be alive.
|1 week 6 days ago||I think what makes you a bad||
I think what makes you a bad American is that you care about Olympic basketball.
|1 week 6 days ago||Another Reason||
I think that in swimming there is another big factor at play and that is the fact that a swimmer's time serves as a de-facto drug test. In baseball, football, and others there is a ton of subjectivity involved when we start suspecting players of doping - "player X gained 35 lbs after his rookie year", "player Y looks way too ripped", etc. Its very hard to be 100% (or even 95%) certain that doping is invloved. With swimming there is an absolute objective measure of performance - the clock. World class swimmers have a long history of competition and swimmers are well aware of each other's times, so when all of sudden a swimmer suddenly sees a huge drop over a short period of time its a pretty dead give away that they were doping.
|3 weeks 5 days ago||Welcome to the weekend||
Cup of joe at 7:00 AM
Bottle of beer by 5:00PM
Last days of July 2016!!!
|4 weeks 15 hours ago||1. Best helmet? U of||
1. Best helmet? PSU
2. Fan of alternate uniforms? No
3. Big Ten favorite? OSU
4. Best mascot? Sparty
5. Loudest stadium? The horseshoe is the loudest I've been to
6. Best locker room? not qualified to answer
7. Coach you'd most like to play for? Fitzgerald
8. Best social media site? My local brewpub
9. Best pre-game music? M-Fanfare / The Victors
10. Do you play Pokemon Go? No
|4 weeks 15 hours ago||Sample size||
I get that these types of things are essentially clickbait, but cumong man. A poll of 13 people?
|5 weeks 6 hours ago||Please stop drinking and go||
Please stop drinking and go to bed.
. . . and pick another school to root for
|5 weeks 5 days ago||Good Morning all. Enjoy your||
Good Morning all. Enjoy your upvotes.
Another summer weekend.
Another weekend closer to football.
Cheers to everyone.
|6 weeks 5 days ago||Bang Bang||
Fridays are good
|7 weeks 3 days ago||Nope. Its a reference to the||
Nope. Its a reference to the Bowl games I attended when I was in school.
|7 weeks 4 days ago||Nice Job Magnus||
Normally I don't post to say thank you, but going into the 4th of july weekend I had to get a couple more points.
|7 weeks 5 days ago||Pos Bangin' for the USA||
Happy B-day America!!!
Thank you to all that have served our country. Now go get your weekend on!!!
|8 weeks 2 days ago||Ed Davis???||
What's the deal Ed Davis? Have seen a couple posts pointing out that (A) he really doesn't qualify for a 6th year, and secondly, MSU has yet to even put the application into the NCAA. Seems like the rest of the world is taking for granted that he will play this fall.
|8 weeks 5 days ago||Where are they taking their||
Where are they taking their talents to???
|9 weeks 5 days ago||Pos Bang Time!!!||
Son's Graduation Open House this afternoon
Probably a beer or three soon after
|10 weeks 5 days ago||Tis Better to pos bang late||
Tis Better to pos bang late than to never have pos banged at all
|12 weeks 5 days ago||Happy Memorial Day||
Nothing more patriotic than pos bangin' for the USA. Well, actually, there is . . .
Big THANK YOU to all the men and women that have served or continue to serve our country!!!
|19 weeks 5 days ago||Opening Day Pos Bang||
|20 weeks 5 days ago||My Observations||
1. Wyatt Shallman still has the flow goin
2. All your Wanglers and Glasgows are belong to us
3. We got a walk on from Malaysia
|20 weeks 5 days ago||Happy Friday||
Spring Break, staying in MI, watching the Spring Game
|24 weeks 5 days ago||Its Friday||
One more youth hockey tournament, perhaps a few irish stouts
|26 weeks 5 days ago||I'll take a free bangin' when||
I'll take a free bangin' when I can get it
|27 weeks 5 days ago||It's Friday and this weekend||
It's Friday and this weekend we have . . .
Not a whole lot going on.
|27 weeks 6 days ago||Pretty Simple||
The answer to question #2 is Yes.
That is all.
|27 weeks 6 days ago||Dammit!||
You beat me to it jdon. I was just going to write that there is no way you can put a guy in the hall of fame with such poor field awareness.
|29 weeks 9 hours ago||GARY!!!!!!!!! POS BANG!!!!||