Needs to be replaced. His offensive line play is atrocious for the 3rd consecutive year.
Official Snowflake Thread: Offense
The way this team looks now, MSU, Iowa, NU, and Ohio are all losses. The 2009 team started out 5-0 too, so none of us should be feeling very confident right now with 4-0. I hate to say it, but Gardner simply might not have the mental toughness to become a championship QB. Other teams have figured out he's very easy to rattle and get out of sync.
I actually am trying to still be optimistic, but when the team follows up one bad effort with another against very undermanned teams, something is wrong. Our only hope is we get things fixed in the next two weeks somehow.
1. Devin needs to learn to throw the ball away when there is pressure and his first read is not open. The 10 yard losses just kill any momentum that offense has going, and it might make sense to go to a quicker, 3-step drop passing game for him with Gallon, Dileo and Funchess running combination routes from a stack. I would also ditch the waggle or any play that causes Devin to actually turn his back to the D. Simplify the game for him.
2. I'd like to see more of Funchess and Butt in the short-to-intermediate passing game.
3. Chesson is a joy to watch as a blocker, and I love that they are starting to target him.
4. I like that Borges has a package with 3 OT, because that might allow us to be a decent off-tackle team by the end of the year. MSU has a 300-pound 3rd OT that smoked ND continually, and, given our youth and lack of push on hte interior, this might be a decent option.
5. Fitz really impressed me tonight, and I simply cannot believe how quickly and well he has recovered from his horrific injury. It is a testatment to him and the training staff at Michigan.
6. The break comes at a good time, and I think that Chris Bryant should get a very long look at LG this week. If Glasgow can even be passable at center, this seems like a sensible option given how easilly Miller has been mauled this year. Kugler will put on the requisite weight this offseason, and he should be our center starting next year.
Coach Hoke already said they would look at the o-line during the bye week. I'm hopeful they can figure out a better configuration. Execution is still an issue - did anyone else see Lewan totally allow that 16 yard sack? He barely touched the guy!
I'm really worried about Devin's mental state right now. I feel awful for him, and this season depends a lot on him so I hope he can get his confidence back, get better at knowing when to throw the ball away and realize he's not going to make a play every single down, and start looking more like the Devin we saw and loved last season. I also question the play calling, but I don't know enough about football yet to know if Borges is good generally or not. I hope Coach Hoke will make coaching changes, if necessary. Passing on 3rd and 2 when we had a chance another first down seems like a strange decision. Also, why aren't they using Green more in those short yardage situations? Can't he be our new Grady until he takes over as starter, whether it's this season or next?
Mostly I blame the coaches, which makes me so sad. I love Coach Hoke's enthusiasm and passion. I thought he would be more effective than Coach Carr and Rich Rod. I'm getting concerned now though, because I don't think our team is effectively using their talent, and that seems like a coaching thing to me. Does Alabama ever execute this poorly, even in a loss? That's an honest question, not rhetorical. It seems like Coach Hoke's first season, the coaches got the very best out of everyone, and they had a good season as a result. That wasn't the case last season or apparently this season. It makes me nervous for his longevity. Good coaches who last seem to always get the best from their players.
It seems like there's a trust thing on two levels: Devin doesn't trust himself and he doesn't trust the line. And he's putting all the presure on himself to make things happen. The problem is, only winning and success fix that. I'm sure they've had great practices where he feels he's back to his old self, and then he gets into a game, and the head issues creep back in. It's a tough situation to be in.
Another poor performancre, but another W on the schedule.
- Obligatory blame for the interior oline. They played like crap ... again. Although they showed flashes I can no longer say it was great offensive execution, rather poor defensive execution by UConn with the way they have played of late.
- Gardner's confidence is in the dirt. His decision making is absolute sh*t. Needs to throw ball away and not turn his back to the line of scrimmage when scrambling ffs. He also needs to stop zeroing in on Gallon and make better throws. Too many times as I'm sure everyone has noticed Butt/Fucnhess/Dileo are wide open but he chooses to not go through his progressions. Gardner also needs to learn how to properly tuck the ball when running. It pains me to see how he holds the ball away from his body like a loaf of bread.
Funk - why you no shuffle oline ...... ever? why players get no push ever?
Hoke - I love his cool demeanor but he's not getting the players to respond... at all. While I never saw him as the great coach that some view him as,I see nothing more than a great motivator and people person.
Most of our problems our on the O line. Defenders pour through like water and w/o a running game they don't respect our play action. Turnovers are killing us.
Devin is the reason we have been terrible. He's shell-shocked or something with the turnovers, and it's affecting him badly.
Get the guy to calm down and just play the game. Stop throwing to Tacopants, Gallon is not that tall. Secure the football. Stop running backwards. Throw the ball out of bounds. Do those things and we'll be a-okay.
none the less; i am hoping for improvement each and every game from this point on. That being said, I am starting to become concerned.
This bye week comes at a good time, I am hoping we see some changes on the oline, however, i just don't think it will make a huge difference, I'm sure there is a reason why guys like Bryant aren't starting. At this point, I wonder if Schofield could move back to guard and shift Braden to RT, Glasgow to center? I don't know, something has to start clicking.
For now, I think Funchess needs to be used more, I said it last week, we seem to target him early, he makes plays, and then we go away from him...I also like Jake Butt, he needs to be targeted more. My hope is that Chesson gets better every week, he seems to be heading in that direction. If teams continue to throw 8-9 in the box, Gardner has to find these 3 guys consistently. Chesson has got to learn how to stretch the field, if he and Gardner can connect a few times, this will help tremendously. Overall, the lack of use with Funchess is puzzling, he's not a great blocker, but with Williams back, try putting Funchess in motion, move him around, I liked how they used him as a H-back early in the game, but then they went away from it...did Funchess play in the 2nd half?
Backfield, including Gardner:
If we can get a game like Fitz had last night, over time, this will help Gardner. We have to get Gardner confidence early by running quick slants, screens, and allowing him to pick yards up with his feet, this should help his confidence, he has to start learning to manage the game better. I would still try to find a couple of plays per game for Derrick Green, I know the interior has struggled, but give him or Deveon some plays up the middle and let them bang a little. Fitz still dances too much, i know he needs to in the backfield, but even some of the runs past the LOS, he still seemed bouncy instead of just running forward.
My thoughts are still a jumbled mess. I might still be drunk.
Right now Michigan can't run up the middle because the interior line can't block. Michigan can't run outside because the Tight Ends can't block. Michigan can't throw deep because the O-line can't block long enough to give Gardner time to throw it, plus we don't have anyone getting seperation. That leaves the short passing game, which teams can sit on. So Michigan isn't even 1-dimensional, they are half a dimension. Gardner needs to calm down and not try to do everything on 1 play.
Everything starts with the offensive line. If we don't improve the B1G will eat us alive.
That is all