- Member for
- 4 years 21 weeks
- View recent blog entries
|6 weeks 4 days ago||GBOD79....please don't think||
GBOD79....please don't think that I am attacking you. I do agree that there needs to be some form of opportunity for these students to make some spending money. I agree 100% with TennBlue that unfortunately the autograph sessions would lead to boosters paying for hundreds or thousands of autographs they may or may not ever receive. A more realistic approach is to give these athletes on campus job opportunities where the school can manage their schedules, standardize their pay and keep it as clean as possible. Not every athlete is going to need to work and not every athlete is going to want to work. They can also keep it confined to the offseason so the player won't be "overwhelmed" while in school.
|6 weeks 5 days ago||Since you want to go down||
Since you want to go down that road, I was an academic scholarship kid who had to maintain a 3.6 GPA. I also walked onto a D1 basketball program my freshman year. After 6 weeks of practice I was encouraged to change my Pre-Med major to a sports science major or a communications major. When I refused I was encouraged to leave the team. I was able to maintain my academics and still do all the necessary work the other guys on the team were doing. The difference was that I was taking a larger class load than they were. Maybe I am the exception, but from my experience there was plenty of time to work a few hours on campus and make a little spending money. Might just mean you not able to party it up every weekend during the off season.
|6 weeks 5 days ago||Or...the fact that these||
Or...the fact that these students really don't pay a dime to attend these schools as D1 athletes, maybe their families could pony up some of that spending money since they don't have tuition payments.
I grew up dirt poor and my parents couldn't afford to pay for college. I worked my butt off each summer, each christmas break and every spring break. That money earned was used to pay for my "fun" and extra living expenses while I attended school. In the end I came out $140k in debt from school and still managed to have a good time. These kids have ways to make legitimate money and most of them won't. Let's start focusing on what they are allowed to do by fhr NCAA and less on what they want to do to earn money.
|6 weeks 5 days ago||So instead of doing the right||
So instead of doing the right thing and being more selective with their Heisman pick, they just remove the criteria for which one should be selected to pick the popular guy....lol....this doesn't save them any embarrassment, it just proves what a joke the award has become. If I am a former trophy winner I would be upset at what a joke it has become and now to see them water it down even more. How about they grow some balls and do their due diligence when selecting a candidate. It never was about being just the best athlete.
|8 weeks 2 days ago||You are correct that the||
You are correct that the Medical Team should get props for checking out the health of Morris. Getting the diagnosis right it way more important than the image for the University. As for Brandon, he is am idiot. He just threw his head coach under the bus to make himself come off as a caring individual. He let his head coach do multiple interviews and media requests yesterday while answering questions about the incident. If they were truly doing more testing to diagnose Hoke should have responded that there is further testing being done and we do not have the results yet. Now he is on record saying he only had an ankle injury and lookng like a fool. Dave Brandon is trying to save his own neck.
|8 weeks 3 days ago||So his health was of their||
So his health was of their utmost priority, but they put him back into the game, after being pulled for his health, when Gardner lost his helmet......makes sense to me. TERRIBLE!!!!
|8 weeks 4 days ago||I know that you left Saban||
I know that you left Saban off the list, but for a couple of reasons I feel he might be worth taking a second look at. Let me pose this.
1. He is familiar with the state of Michigan.
2. He was treated poorly by MSU and has a severe dislike for Urban Meyer.
3. His ego is large enough that you could sell him not on just ressurecting Michigan, but the entire Big Ten Conference. He has ressurected multiple programs and the next logical step for his ego is a conference.
4. His previous OC is already here and his current OC would jump at the chance to take over Alabama so the system wouldn't be a complete rebuild.
5. He has built his connections in the south so recruiting would get a lot easier, not to mention all the NC he has won.
6. $$ should not be an object. Charlie Strong was given $5 Mil to go to Texas, John Harbaugh is making $7 Mil, Jim Harbaugh is making $5 Mil, and Les Miles is making $4.5 Mil. Urban Meyer just got $4.8 Mil for OSU.
Play with his ego and pay the man, can't hurt to try.....but you better turn over the AD before this happens.
|9 weeks 4 days ago||I have been thinking about||
I have been thinking about this since the ND game and I think there are a few names that come to mind. Everyone is looking to Jim Harbaugh when in reality there is a bigger storm brewing in Baltimore. John has an owner and a GM entangled in the Ray Rice mess and they are gonna have fallout. John is familiar with Mattison so it isn't a complete stretch. $$ has to be comparable to his deal now, but given the fact that Meyer, Strong and Sumlin are all making roughly $5 million and Saban makes over $7 million it isn't out of the realm.
I have scanned the latest list of hot coaches and the cupboard is close to bare. Not sure they should experiment again. The other option is go after a huge winner with a huge ego and bet the farm. You sell it based on the chance to single handedly bringing the Big Ten back to prominence and the chance destroy his rival. That is Saban. He is connected to the south now, wins and instantly brings a credibility to the team and conference....kind of like Meyer. I know it is far fetched, but Michigan needs to get over that hump and has a bankroll to do it. We also need to get over the thought that Saban cheats. He may or he may not, point is that he hasn't been caught and even bigger is that the NCAA has shown they just don't care.
|9 weeks 5 days ago||My son is named Braylon too.||
My son is named Braylon too. My wife fell in love with the name while we were dating and I was in the Dental School.
|10 weeks 5 days ago||Desmond hit the nail on the||
Desmond hit the nail on the head. It all comes down to development. Herbie is usually OK, but his homer minute saying the Big Ten went 0-for during the 2011 January Bowls was down right disgusting. He blatantly called out U of M and completely passed on the fact that OSU won, but vacated the win and hasn't won a bowl game since. The Big Ten is terrible because they haven't adopted the win at all costs mentality that the SEC and Pac-12 have.
I don't get his Lee Corso has any room too talk about how the Big Ten hasn't adapted to today's college football. That man was past his prime 20 years ago and still doesn't know when to quit.
|13 weeks 1 day ago||I would suspect this is his ride.....and outfit||
|14 weeks 4 days ago||Nope. Those who had season||
Nope. Those who had season tickets got in at 6:30. Everyone else got in at 7:00 regardless if they had a ticket or not. I think the students got in earlier too.
|14 weeks 4 days ago||My observations from last||
My observations from last night at the sUTL.
1. Attendance was pretty good. You didn't need a ticket to get in, they just opened the gates and let people walk right it. Tickets were just for their estimation of interest.
2. Student turnout didn't seem all that high even though they aren't back to school yet. The opportunity to get on the field didn't pull many in.
3. There was a guy who proposed to his wife on the field. She said yes I would assume as they walked off together. Unless she is into odd situations because he drove her there.
4. Shane M. and Devin G. both look good. While warming up Shane seemed to take things very serious and he seems to want to start. Devin was a little more relaxed and playful. Shane throws a heck of a spiral.
5. Your initial starting line was Cole, Magnuson, Miller, Glasgow, Braden. Dawson did make an appearance for Glasgow after some reps.
6. Your line for Morris was LTT, Burzynski, Kugler, Bosch, Dawson.
7. I expect your kick/ punt returners to be Norfleet and Peppers. Douglas took some snaps as well, but there is too much potential with the other two.
8. Mo Ways, Bo Fever and DeMario Jones all had some nice catches. Canteen had a great sprint and catch down the sideline. Our receiving corp is deep and good. Mo Ways had a heck of a block on one of the passes that went for some yards.
9. Our RB's all looked like we left off close to last year. No large gaping holes to run through, but they seem to know where they were supposed to be running through. Green, Smith and Johnson could all potentially start. Hayes looks good hitting the edge and his hands look good. Shallman is a stud. He is just hard to stay with, always finds a way to make a play and is just hard to bring down. He could be a ton of offense if nothing else seems to work.
10. Devin still has a tendency to not stand in the pocket and try too much. He did throw a couple into the stands to save the sack, but he also let one fly before that just over a defenders head that should have went into the stands...and Nuss gave him a talking to about it. I hate to say it, but he hit his ceiling last year. His decision making skills will make or break our close games and I am not sure he has matured in that area from last year.
11. Shane has crisp passes, more so than Devin. Shane reminded me a lot of watching AJ Mccarron run that offense the first year. He was mechanically sound, doesn't quite have the full grasp of checking at the line and stuff, but could run this offense because Nuss will get him through it. Shane has potential to be really good without being the athlete that Gardner is. Shane does have a tendency to stare down receivers on almost every pass, this could be an issue.
12. Our defense is tough. They are not the laid back bend don't break defense of last year. They are swarming to the ball...everyone. Our DEs are extremely quick. Clark and Charlton both were able to blow by guys and get into the backfield. They weren't afraid to send DBs either. This defense could keep us in games and definitely played more aggressive.
13. Our O-line... I sat in front of them as they waed up and did the drills at the behinning of practice. I think the problem here is that they are still young and learning. Good news is, I am not sure Glasgow is our best lineman anymore because the others have begun to catch up. Cole wasn't terrible, but he is a little undersized for the position. He has a bright future ahead of him. Braden and Magnuson looked the most polished of the bunch and they still were being coached a good deal. For the most part, they seemed to give Devin enough time to throw, but not much push to let the RBs through. I don't remember seeing Kalis at all last night, could be I just missed him. It was at times hard to tell if the D-line was just that good that they overshadowed the O-line or is the O-line still just that bad.
13. I was looking at the schedule and 9-3 looks achievable outside of ND, MSU, Penn St and OSU. We can win one of those. Everything else looks pretty weak. If the line starts to get push 10-2 or higher could be possible. The O-line is gonna be the key.
|15 weeks 2 days ago||He probably is pissy that he||
He probably is pissy that he was expected to go deep into the later innings tonight with little to no help from the bullpen. He wasn't exactly chipper last night watching everyone on the team throw for 19 innings and leaving nobody for tonight. The manager better put him in check quickly or else this could spread fast.
|15 weeks 2 days ago||I know the OLine doesn't, but||
I know the OLine doesn't, but the team in general has been given the warning. Hoke was smart in getting his seniors to buy into his system the first year and maybe the second. By his third the mood had changed and I firmly believe the players assumed that no matter how hard they worked the seniors would be given playing time over everyone else. Hoke is smart to evolve that mentality and maybe should have started last year. No one player should ever be more important than the team.
|15 weeks 3 days ago||Completely agree with what||
Completely agree with what you said. The one thing I am most excited about is that Hoke has finally admitted a little bit that he is done giving seniors the "job" just because they are seniors. I like the idea of playing with the line a bit to see how it mashes out. I don't know why eveyone is freaking out about starting a freshman on the line, this wouldn't be the first time Nuss has used one and done just fine. Maybe he really is that good of a player or maybe he hasn't bought into the whole "I will get to start cause I am a stud recruit" and is out there busting his butt. Either way, I want the best 5 on the field....and by best five I mean mentally and physically the best five.
|18 weeks 2 days ago||Wonder what the response||
Wonder what the response would be from the same group of kids when asked if they would rather just skip the NCAA and head right into the NFL?
|19 weeks 2 days ago||If you want to try some great||
If you want to try some great beers from the local Michigan breweries, check out Bonteboktoberfest at Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek. They open the zoo for an evening and many of the breweries come to serve their beers. You buy a ticket and you get to sample 10-12 glasses of beer (4-6 oz each) and you get to keep your glass. Not gonna get you wasted, but a great place to sample some of our local stock. They also have live music as well. Just an FYI.
|1 year 2 weeks ago||I would have to agree here||
I would have to agree here with Seth. I expect a different kind of standard and Lewan would have taken it for the better of the team. I was disappointed that Hoke was so quick to make the "no suspension" statement at the presser. He should have at least elaborated that it was being handled internally and that there would be discipline of some sort. I felt as though he just brushed it off.
|1 year 10 weeks ago||One could assume that since||
One could assume that since they did the Manning passing camp together that they could be acquaintences or even friends. So I don't find this to be patronizing at all or out of the realm of just being a friend. While I am not a fan of Manziel's media hype, he does seem to find a way to win. Gotta give the kid credit.
|1 year 10 weeks ago||Winning cures all. All it||
Winning cures all. All it takes is another conference to win a couple and the SEC is best will even itself out. My complaint isn't that they win, but that the preseason rankings give the SEC an unfair advantage to hold onto top spots without always earning them. Rankings shouldn't start until week 4 or 5 so we can fairly assess teams baeed on performance and not where they finished last year or how they look on paper. Giving any team an unfair ranking only helps them to stay at the top after beating up on cupcakes.
|1 year 12 weeks ago||M-41 CMU-7||
|1 year 19 weeks ago||Only bothers me when they try||
Only bothers me when they try to lessen my degree of fandom while they can't name more than 4 players on the current team, don't know who we play next week and can't name on recruit we have committed. You don't get to tell me I am less of fan when you can't do those things. If you aren't doing that then you are fine.
|1 year 29 weeks ago||Bluiett Highlights||
Watched the Bluiett highlights and I am not terribly impressed. He looks like an average shooter who takes a large amount of shots and has little if any idea on how to follow up a missed shot. He has an awkward release and looks like he has a be clearly set before he can shoot. He does like to pull the trigger though. For 6'6" I would like to see more inside work and rebounding.
|1 year 30 weeks ago||We had quite a few undrafted||
We had quite a few undrafted free agents signed. Is this a normal number for a Div 1 school or is this year an anomaly?
|1 year 32 weeks ago||Not sure who is was, but||
Not sure who is was, but there were 3-4 men and a group of young boys. The boys ran all over the place up and down the bleachers in front of people. The men hooped and hollared all while cussing and being very loud. As an adult, I could tolerate it....but not with my kids and wife. I was pretty shocked with the rather Family environment that we seen around us. No big deal, we just moved.
|1 year 32 weeks ago||Can't just appreciate the||
Can't just appreciate the genuine Thank You that people are giving. I have a last name that is never pronounced correctly and I never see the problem when I am being praised or thanked for doing good. You complainers must all work for Dick Sporting Goods.
|1 year 32 weeks ago||Took the wife and kids to the||
Took the wife and kids to the spring game for the first time. Kind of expensive to get all 6 of us at a real game and wanted them to see the Big House. They absolutely loved it. Motts was great, the volunteers and staff were great. Only downside we had were a group of guys who insisted on cussing every other word while watching. We moved after a bit and the kids didn't even care. Overall a nice experience. Wish they would at least simulate a game in full, even if it was only for a half. We will definitely go again.
|1 year 33 weeks ago||I find it terrible that ESPN||
I find it terrible that ESPN interviewed and put Jalen through the ringer all week about the Fab Five, only to make sure he couldn't be at the game. I know he gets paid to work for them, but this is a rare occurrence and to "use" him for their ratings all week is terrible. At least give the man a chance to see his school play.
|1 year 36 weeks ago||Looks like the first and||
Looks like the first and second OL that we can see in that video is around 301+ average in weight. Let's hope there is some strenght to go with all that beef. We need bigger holes.