- Member for
- 45 weeks 3 days
- View recent blog entries
- First thing's first. We creamed App State. Yes, in the manner in which we WANTED to--getting holds in the OL and on the ground, but it's still App State. As others have said, we could also beat ND and we really won't know much until Penn State and MSU.
- If this does bring a new era of success at Michigan, and Nuss is in fact a major part of that, then good for him and us. If another program poaches him for a HC spot in a few years because Michigan is now suddenly a national power and in the 4 team playoff, then that's a high class problem for us to have. As others have said, I think Hoke could develop a reputation of attracting young coaching talent, giving them room to succeed on their own, thus creating a launching platform/pipeline for future HC's around the country. That would not be a bad thing. Maybe Nuss gets poached by, say, a Purdue or Northwestern as a HC, and then in 8-10 years Hoke steps back and we bring Nuss back as the next HC.
- Ideally though, this is what I'd love to see---we experience a return to greatness under Hoke. Other programs come sniffing around for Nuss in 2-3 years, and we essentially lay out a 5 year plan. Don't even let Nuss get off campus because there's no guarantee we would ever get him back. He's got three young kids in grade school or younger. Make the sales pitch that rather than being a journey man coach, he should stick around Ann Arbor--a GREAT place to raise a family--at least until his kids are grown and out of the house. Make Nuss one of--if not the--highest paid coordinators in college football, and add the title of Assistant Head Coach to his job description so he starts seeing the other elements of the team in a more holistic way. Mattison has no designs on ever being a HC, so essentially make Nuss the heir apparent. But do it WITH the explicit understanding that Hoke would be stepping back in another 5 years (7-8 years from now). It wouldn't be some vague promise. Hoke would be in his mid-60's and you'd obviously have to get buy-in from him. Dave Brandon will have completed his massive $$ raising and infrastructure building campaign, so much of the difficult-yet-necessary-work will have been already done. At some point he'll want to leave to run for governor or US senator or something anyway. The athletic facilities will be set for a generation, and yet the student & season ticket holders will need some serious fence-mending once Brandon is gone. Hoke is known as a "player's coach", so you get him to step back and become a "fan's AD" to basically rebuild the goodwill of the fans. People say one of Hoke's greatest assets is just being a giant cheerleader for Michigan. I could see him being an excellent "peace ime" AD for the school.
|1 week 3 hours ago||Marcus did quite well.||
Marcus did quite well. Explained a lot, but knew when to just let his PBP guy talk. Not too homerish, but I couldn't help notice his subtle maize & blue outfit in the booth. Blue jacket, blue dress shirt, and maize tie & pocket square.
|2 weeks 1 day ago||Kind of crazy, I'm actually a||
Kind of crazy, I'm actually a bit more worries about JMFR at MLB and our front four containing Golson than I am about our OLine at this point.
|2 weeks 1 day ago||Upvote Collector Post||
So apparently up votes get counted inky in replies and not OPs? I guess you learn something new every day.
I'm not at a computer right now and only know how to post a photo from that (not my ipad or mobile device).
Once the UofM onesie is on, I'll post a photo prior to the game.
As for the "take the first feeding" advice---she is breast feeding. Although I've got Man Boobs, sadly, I can't help her directly in that department yet. Maybe we get bottles once were home but we don't get discharged from the hospital until tomorrow morning.
|2 weeks 1 day ago||To be fair, the Irish Envy||
To be fair, the Irish Envy guys I think were not sure what it meant. They spent a good couple of hours over analyzing and debating the emoticon that he used. Some said it meant happy/grinning. Others said it meant angst and nervous anticipation. I don't think they have any idea.
|2 weeks 3 days ago||I don't know. Usually when I||
I don't know. Usually when I see athletes get the yips, it's in the context of a very isolated motion that is preceded by relative inaction. So a golf swing, tennis serve, baseball pitch, basketball free throw, etc. Allows a person to think about what they're going to do. All eyes are on them at that moment and they know it, etc. With a pass in football through, it seems like a movement that simply takes place after much more dynamic play--rolling out, dropping back, going through progressions, scrambling, etc.
|2 weeks 3 days ago||That was my bachelor party.||
That was my bachelor party. Couldn't have picked a better one. I'll never forget it. Absolutely electric that night.
|2 weeks 5 days ago||I tend to agree. You'd think||
I tend to agree. You'd think if they were going to clear one or more players, they'd have sped up that process so they could fully rejoin the teamp ASAP prior to Michigan week.
But, out in the ND forums, there's a ton of wishful thiking that one or more players will be let off the hook once anything is officially announced this week. Particularly Russell.
|2 weeks 5 days ago||Good to know. Still getting||
Good to know. Still getting the hang of this creating threads thing.
For reasons that will become clear later this week, I'm not going to be around a ton in the next few days, so what I've done is just make this the "rampant speculation" junk thread, and then when real news comes out, maybe somebody else just makes a fresh thread with the actual links/updates on Tuesday or Wednesday whenever it hits. That way nobody has to remember to dig this thread up from the 2nd or 3rd page.
Or, you could always delete this one if you don't think the topic merits its own thread this soon.
|2 weeks 5 days ago||It's all just speculating||
It's all just speculating right now. Some wishful ND forums are saying that one or more will be exonerated. But others in ND forums are saying Williams basically admitted he cheated and will be definitely be out at least for the UofM game. Most ND fans are saying that Russell is the real blow to their strength, and they're hoping he's cleared this week.
But at this point I don't think anybody knows anything definitively. It's all just rampant (but amusing) speculation.
|2 weeks 5 days ago||You are not high. No new||
You are not high. No new information. But I figured I'd create this pre-emptively, since:
1) My understanding is they are going to announce something in the next day or so, at which point the OP title will be updated and links to actual news provided, and
2) The general game week thread was getting polluted with people asking/speculating about the ND academic investigation, so I figured it'd be best to carve it out into its own topic.
If the mods hate the idea, they can delete it.
|2 weeks 5 days ago||Tom Hammond||
Tom Hammond has always given me the willies when I watch his broadcasts. Football, Olympics, you name it. Every time he stops talking and turns to look at his broadcast partner, he just stares at them in the strangest way and invades their body space.
|2 weeks 6 days ago||I think that's the nature of||
I think that's the nature of the position. WRs are more inherently downfield while RBs blocking are often in the backfield or at the line. So really there's more opportunity for Chesson to pick up speed and really clock somebody. But I agree whoever said it earlier in the thread--pound for pound maybe the best blocker on the team.
|2 weeks 6 days ago||And imagine our backfield is||
And imagine our backfield is strong enough now that we can afford to redshirt Weber next year.
|2 weeks 6 days ago||Chesson = the WR version of||
Chesson = the WR version of Vincent Smith
|2 weeks 6 days ago||A few things: First||
A few things:
But this was App State. Things are looking about as well as we would have expected in the most perfect scenario. Only time will tell, but it is fun to fantasize/speculate about being at the dawn of a successful era of Wolverine Football.
|2 weeks 6 days ago||The other thing that just||
The other thing that just occurred to me is ---if we win and the offense performs well at ND next week---how valuable the additional BUY-IN will be from the players. Up to now it was just kids wanting to win and being good players and dutifully listening to their new coach. But it was largely faith based. But you get a few 200/300 rushing yard games against ND and big ten teams, and it will accelerate.
They'll be like fat kids eating snickers bars as they devour every morsel of WIN from Nussmeier's offensive scheme--both on the practice field and in the film/meeting rooms.
|2 weeks 6 days ago||Agree on Nuss being on the||
Agree on Nuss being on the sideline. They way Hoke said it, it sounds like it may be temporary or situational. Definitely good in our case--installing a new system, young OLine etc. It also seems like Gardner has a tendency to beat himself up too much when errors are made, and then want to play hero ball to make up for it. I think Nuss being on the sideline to put his arm around him and coach him up will help when the chips are down.
If/when we get the offense fully installed and our OLine and QB play is steady & veteran, I could see him being up in the booth so he can get a better over all view of things.
As everybody's said, next week will be a much truer test, but if like what I see.
|3 weeks 6 hours ago||Although true RE: ankles||
Although ankles injuries do manifest their true severity after another day or two, the fact is it can't be that severe. With a massive ankle sprain, a person isn't able to even walk or put pressure on it at all pretty much instantaneously. He would've needed help off the field and wouldn't have been trying to run out there for another punt return.
So unless something happened more severe off-screen later on, my bet is this is a relatively minor "boo boo" in Hokespeak, and he'll be on the field for ND, just as Hoke said in the presser.
|3 weeks 6 hours ago||Kalis got burned once because||
Kalis got burned once because he didn't have the abiltiy to adjust laterally when a defender blew buy him. But I thought he regrouped nicely later on and started opening up those holes.
I especially loved that 12 yard push blocking for Smith for that touchdown late in th 2nd Quarter. Love seeing our O-Line ride donkeys down the field.
|3 weeks 6 hours ago||Agreed. Chesson also had a||
Agreed. Chesson also had a great blocking play to help extend on of Green's longer runs another 10-15 yards I believe. Pound-for-pound, maybe one of the best hitters/blockers on the squad. Nowhere near as good as the guys who's JOB it is to block/hit, but certainly one the toughest in the receiver corps.
|3 weeks 8 hours ago||Don't know of this was posted||
Don't know of this was posted earlier, but the announcer says that one of the ND defensive starters got injured in practice on Thursday. If it's more than a minor ding, it'll deplete their defense beyond just what the academic suspensions have done.
|3 weeks 1 day ago||DVR the game. So long as the||
DVR the game. So long as the radio isn't faster than the TV, you should be able to sync it up.
|3 weeks 1 day ago||KLS KLS KLS. I'm greedy.||
KLS KLS KLS. I'm greedy. Already a great class will be even stronger with KLS. Although small in number, it will be big in quality.
|3 weeks 1 day ago||HELLO!||
|3 weeks 1 day ago||Working livestream on||
Working livestream on Rivals:
|3 weeks 1 day ago||Some random guy on twitter||
Some random guy on twitter reporting the positioning of the hats--- Overanalysis, but it's a slow work day...
|3 weeks 1 day ago||There's also a free/non-sign||
There's also a free/non-sign up livestream from a local news outlet:
|3 weeks 2 days ago||Love that one even more than||
Love that one even more than the other one. Combines my love for Woodsen and my distaste for Johnny Football.
Actually, they're kind of ripping on him a lot in these spots. I assume his agent told him to poke fun at his party-boy/immature reputation, but it kind of hits too close to home. I can't imagine John Daly routinely making fun of his behavior/antics. Granted, Johnny Football hasn't hit the depths of John Daley.....yet. But if he ends up burning out, my bet is his agent won't be encouraging him to do much self-satire as he currently is.
|3 weeks 3 days ago||Great write up, although I||
Great write up, although I don't have time to read the entire thing either. As a non-technical guy, I did appreciate the breakdown of how Inside Zone is supposed to work.
|3 weeks 3 days ago||Ditto on the recruiting. He's||
Ditto on the recruiting. He's young so high schoolers can relate. But he's also a living example to them on how things can work out even if the NFL doesn't. Getting a degree and sticking with the program can have big benefits.