this guy evidently hired to work for AD
- Member for
- 4 years 23 weeks
- Arrive 2+ hours before kickoff
- Use the public parking garage by Nickels Arcarde, 324 Maynard Street, $8-10/all day
- Walk thru Nickels Arcade for a 1 hour pre-game beer(s) at Ashleys, voted one of the Top 100 Beer Bars in America
- 1 hour before kickoff, walk thru campus down State St and follow the crowds on Hoover to the Stadium. 20-25 minute walk, 1+ miles. The walk will keep you wam and it's a great way to take in the crowds, pre-game festivities and campus.
- Michigan/Detroit Bias - Michigan, Olympia, Tiger; not to be cliche, but really, how do you not put these iconic venues at the top of your list?
- Rose Bowl - saw a USC/UCLA game and a couple of UM Rose Bowls here. Classic football stadium design in a beautiful CA setting with the San Gabriel Mountains in the distance.
- Camp Randall - best College Football pre-game atmosphere ever (sorry UM, but gotta be honest here).
- Camden Yards - first of the new "retro parks", they got it right the first time and provided the gold standard for all ensuing new baseball stadiums.
- Superdome - OK, it's a dome, but great NOLA vibes, music, food and drink. They really know how to throw a party, which more than compensates for the dome stigma.
- Kingdome/Metrodome - only saw baseball games at both muti-purpose monstrosities. Both stadiums were grey, depressing, lifeless, soul-sucking. Worst-ever venues for baseball.
- Silverdome - in the middle of God-Fersaken Pontiac MI. Watched Bengals v 49ers in the XXII Super Bowl along with several Lions games and misc Stadium Concerts. After 20+ years of vacancy, the CIty of Pontiac eventually sold the property to a Candian investor for $583K?!?
- Riverfront/Veterans - two God-Awful early 70s Multi-Purpose Stadiums (Pittsburgh and St Louis also come to mind) void of any personality, local character, unique features or grass.
- RFK - saw a couple Redskins games and Grateful Dead shows too numerous to mention/remember. Another early 70s multi-purpose stadium, conveniently located off the Metro but in a bad DC neighborhood. The only improvement over Riverfront/Veterans was their natural grass field.
|18 hours 50 min ago||Tito's, highly recommended...||
....reasonably priced, award-winning and Made in America (Austin, TX)
|20 hours 2 min ago||Tito's...||
...Dirty Martini w/Blue Cheese Olives
|3 weeks 6 days ago||Agreed...||
....UM v OSU should consider color-on-color games with their standard uniforms
|4 weeks 1 day ago||Third this.....||
...decidedly off the Bourbon/Canal Street beaten path, but an easy street car ride to the end of the St Charles line. Great NO-style food at reasonable prices, a deep selection of regional craft beers, and a friendly, enthusiastic and well-educated football crowd.
|4 weeks 3 days ago||Another take on parking and pre-game||
|10 weeks 17 hours ago||Bulleit Frontier Whiskey....||
.....Manhattan - Hello Old Friend
|12 weeks 4 days ago||Surreal Stadium Picture.....||
....once play resumed followig the rain delay - supplying the Cherry on top of Saturday's Turd Sundae.
|16 weeks 2 days ago||Agreed...||
....also the M is trending closer to traditional Maize vs neon adidas Sun
|18 weeks 17 hours ago||Indeed....||
Bulleit Frontier Whiskey with a couple cubes - outstanding. Ran out of Sweet Vermouth for my go-to Manhattan, but really enjoying some top shelf KY bourbon in its pure form.
|29 weeks 3 days ago||Recent First Pitch Fails||
Baba Booey (nee Gary Dell'abate)/Howard Stern:
Mark Mallory/Cincinnati Mayor:
|37 weeks 5 days ago||Couldn't agree more....||
....I really wanted to like adidas, but between the cut/quality of the uniforms, their intepretation of Maize (aka adidas Sun, nee highlighter yellow) and their cookie-cutter approach with our basketball unis, I'm ready to move back to Nike.
Our current basketball uniforms = Wisconsin = NC State = Nebraska, only with different colors + jersey school name/mascot.
|48 weeks 22 hours ago||Much Appreciated||
Sounds like I need to head over to Mason Whole Foods for lunch on Monday.....
|48 weeks 1 day ago||Where in Cincy?||
What Pubs/Retail Outlets in Cincy carry Hopslam?
|1 year 4 weeks ago||M has to go back to White Socks!||
Watching last weekend's Tiebreaker and remembering how great our unis loooked with the black shoes and white socks makes me wish for UM to resurrect this traditional, classic look. Like most everyone on the blog, I will always maintain that UM Football has the best uniforms on the planet regardless of sport, but I'm not a big fan of the blue socks/black shoes. Alabama, PSU and USC still sport the white socks which fully preserves all components of their traditional uniform and distinquishes them from everyone else.
|1 year 20 weeks ago||Zing Zang = best Bloddy Mary Mix on the market||
An excellent take on a morning tailgate requirement. I trend towards Tito's Vodka (great taste, resonably priced and American-made) + plenty of horsradish (that's where you get your heat/spice, NOT from a hot sauce) + a liberal amount of Worcestershire + garnish of your choice (I like pickled green beans and olives).
|1 year 20 weeks ago||Jack Daniels & Vernors||
....a much improved twist on a Jack & Ginger
|1 year 26 weeks ago||Variation on #1....||
1. Why do dogs lick their balls? Because they can't make a fist.
|1 year 26 weeks ago||These Two....||
1. An old man walks into a pub in Scottland, his feet shuffling, his back bent. He drags himself onto a stool and orders a beer. Placing the full glass in front of him, the bartender inquires upon his sad face.
2. There were these two guys having lunch one day when the first guy says to the second one, "Have you ever made a Freudian Slip during a mundane conversation?"
"What's a Freudian Slip?" asks the second one.
"Have you ever said one thing subconsciously to someone when you meant to say something else?"
"I'm still not clear." replies the second one.
"Well last week I was at the airport in Philly and I wanted to come back here to Pittsburgh and the women at the counter had these enormous breasts so instead of asking for two tickets to Pittsburgh, I asked for two pickets to Tittsburgh."
"I now I know what you mean.", says the second guy. "Why just this morning I was having breakfast with my wife. Instead of asking 'Honey, please pass the sugar' I said, 'YOU FUCKING BITCH, YOU'RE RUINING MY LIFE!!'"
|1 year 27 weeks ago||For Your Consideration.....||
|1 year 29 weeks ago||Dennis Franklin||
....followed closely (in no particular order) by Tom Brady, Rick Leach and John Harbaugh. Dennis Franklin was Michgan's QB when I first fell in love with UM Football. Back in the glory days of the Big 2/Little 8 and the 10 Year War, he had an astounding 30-2-1 record as a starter yet never went to a bowl game. Unfortunately, the 2 losses and 1 tie were all against Ohio, with the two loses by a combined total of 5 points. He didn't have gaudy stats, but was a great leader and clutch performer - a true Michigan Man.
|1 year 31 weeks ago||What is planned for the dirt...||
....portion of the field at Ray Fisher and Alumin Field? Will these be real dirt cut-outs around a traditional infield or base areas? Or will they do they take the still-getting-used-to-approach of inserting brown Field Turf to simulate infield dirt ala Indiana or Minnesota?
|1 year 39 weeks ago||Got Chalk?||
POTUS Sweet 16 = 1-4 Seeds in 3 Regions + 1-3, 5 Seeds in West
|1 year 44 weeks ago||Note the "Maize-like" color....||
....on the uniform piping. Outstanding!! Not one bit of eye-blinding adidas Sun highlighter to be found. However, the Sun-like color striping on the socks doesn't seem to match the Maize-ish trim on the uniform.
|1 year 46 weeks ago||Great line from a Feb/2000 SNL Weekend Update||
"And I'm Tina Fey. And here are tonight's top stories..."
FEY: "Despite being named Super Bowl MVP, controversial linebacker Ray Lewis was rejected by both Disney and Wheaties for their post-Super Bowl ad company's endorsements. However, Lewis did get an endorsement with Double Murder Brand Peanut Butter."
|1 year 51 weeks ago||Bulleit Bourbon Manhattans....||
...over crushed ice
|2 years 19 weeks ago||White Socks...||
...for both away and home uniforms. This is a critical component to maintain UMs traditional uniform legacy. The contrasting white socks just look better, are more traditional and is unique when compared to what everyone else wears.
Back in the 70s and 80s, UM was one of the few teams along with USC and PSU that bucked the previaling football fashion trend and continued to wear black vs white shoes. At some point during the late Carr era, UM players started wearing black/blue socks while USC and PSU maintained their traditional black shoes/white socks. Blue socks, even with the home uniform, IMO puts UM in the "me too" category for college football uniform trends as it relates to shoe/sock combinations (see Ohio, Nebraska and Wisconsin).
|2 years 36 weeks ago||Jack Daniels & Diet Vernors....||
|2 years 47 weeks ago||Totally agree....||
...I'm surprised that all of the focus has beeen on possession rather than establishing that he was in bounds in the first place.
I attended this year's Sugar Bowl and finally got around to watching the replay this week on TiVo. Overall, the game looked much worse from a UM perspective the second time around on TV than in person. Our offense was absolutely overmatched and we were fortunate to get the win, so I can understand VT's lingering sour grapes on the game, but their "solution" for a second replay official is ridiculous.
Reading today about the extent of Molk's injury, it's amazing he was able to walk that night let alone play the entire game, and provides a significant reason why the offense was so ineffective. Also, I remember reading that Lewan wasn't 100%? Was there a UFR completed for the game? (couldn't find one in a site search)
|3 years 11 weeks ago||Bring back white socks...||
....to complete the classic UM uniform
|3 years 27 weeks ago||Lookin' like a brown liquor evening...||
....Jack and Vernors