if you seek an image of the most Wisconsin OL ever, enter here
- Member for
- 4 years 29 weeks
- View recent blog entries
- Arrive 2+ hours before kickoff
- Use the public parking garage by Nickels Arcarde, 324 Maynard Street, $8-10/all day
- Walk thru Nickels Arcade for a 1 hour pre-game beer(s) at Ashleys, voted one of the Top 100 Beer Bars in America
- 1 hour before kickoff, walk thru campus down State St and follow the crowds on Hoover to the Stadium. 20-25 minute walk, 1+ miles. The walk will keep you wam and it's a great way to take in the crowds, pre-game festivities and campus.
- Michigan/Detroit Bias - Michigan, Olympia, Tiger; not to be cliche, but really, how do you not put these iconic venues at the top of your list?
- Rose Bowl - saw a USC/UCLA game and a couple of UM Rose Bowls here. Classic football stadium design in a beautiful CA setting with the San Gabriel Mountains in the distance.
- Camp Randall - best College Football pre-game atmosphere ever (sorry UM, but gotta be honest here).
- Camden Yards - first of the new "retro parks", they got it right the first time and provided the gold standard for all ensuing new baseball stadiums.
- Superdome - OK, it's a dome, but great NOLA vibes, music, food and drink. They really know how to throw a party, which more than compensates for the dome stigma.
- Kingdome/Metrodome - only saw baseball games at both muti-purpose monstrosities. Both stadiums were grey, depressing, lifeless, soul-sucking. Worst-ever venues for baseball.
- Silverdome - in the middle of God-Fersaken Pontiac MI. Watched Bengals v 49ers in the XXII Super Bowl along with several Lions games and misc Stadium Concerts. After 20+ years of vacancy, the CIty of Pontiac eventually sold the property to a Candian investor for $583K?!?
- Riverfront/Veterans - two God-Awful early 70s Multi-Purpose Stadiums (Pittsburgh and St Louis also come to mind) void of any personality, local character, unique features or grass.
- RFK - saw a couple Redskins games and Grateful Dead shows too numerous to mention/remember. Another early 70s multi-purpose stadium, conveniently located off the Metro but in a bad DC neighborhood. The only improvement over Riverfront/Veterans was their natural grass field.
|3 days 20 hours ago||My first Friday Posbang post....||
....Tighty Whitey Style!!
|5 days 7 hours ago||Gotta admit the Home Unis also look great.....||
....with the classic white socks:
|5 days 7 hours ago||How about we go full-on Classic Old School..||
...and bring back plain white socks ala Alabama and PSU:
|1 week 2 days ago||You can't drink all day....||
....if you don't start in the morning
|2 weeks 2 days ago||Rhinegeist Truth IPA||
|2 weeks 3 days ago||Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx||
|2 weeks 3 days ago||Jack Daniels & Vernors||
...and 100 Points!!!
|2 weeks 4 days ago||well played....||
|2 weeks 5 days ago||Agree...||
...I've lived in Cincinnati for 19 years (yikes!), and there's plenty of unnatural Buckeye love going on in the area. Our inner circle of neighborhood friends (~15 couples), almost all born and raised in Cincinnati, are ALL Buckeye Football fans. Curiously, maybe 1/3 actually attended OSU, with the rest going to schools like Dayton, Ohio U and Miami (NTM). All colleges with football teams, yet they are all diehard, Walmart Buckeyes. Attending last week's neighborhood Alabama/OSU party was insufferable. My only saving grace was a palpable curiosity and concern from everyone over HARBAUGH!!
|5 weeks 3 days ago||Tito's, highly recommended...||
....reasonably priced, award-winning and Made in America (Austin, TX)
|5 weeks 3 days ago||Tito's...||
...Dirty Martini w/Blue Cheese Olives
|9 weeks 2 days ago||Agreed...||
....UM v OSU should consider color-on-color games with their standard uniforms
|9 weeks 4 days ago||Third this.....||
...decidedly off the Bourbon/Canal Street beaten path, but an easy street car ride to the end of the St Charles line. Great NO-style food at reasonable prices, a deep selection of regional craft beers, and a friendly, enthusiastic and well-educated football crowd.
|9 weeks 5 days ago||Another take on parking and pre-game||
|15 weeks 3 days ago||Bulleit Frontier Whiskey....||
.....Manhattan - Hello Old Friend
|18 weeks 12 hours ago||Surreal Stadium Picture.....||
....once play resumed followig the rain delay - supplying the Cherry on top of Saturday's Turd Sundae.
|21 weeks 5 days ago||Agreed...||
....also the M is trending closer to traditional Maize vs neon adidas Sun
|23 weeks 3 days ago||Indeed....||
Bulleit Frontier Whiskey with a couple cubes - outstanding. Ran out of Sweet Vermouth for my go-to Manhattan, but really enjoying some top shelf KY bourbon in its pure form.
|34 weeks 5 days ago||Recent First Pitch Fails||
Baba Booey (nee Gary Dell'abate)/Howard Stern:
Mark Mallory/Cincinnati Mayor:
|43 weeks 20 hours ago||Couldn't agree more....||
....I really wanted to like adidas, but between the cut/quality of the uniforms, their intepretation of Maize (aka adidas Sun, nee highlighter yellow) and their cookie-cutter approach with our basketball unis, I'm ready to move back to Nike.
Our current basketball uniforms = Wisconsin = NC State = Nebraska, only with different colors + jersey school name/mascot.
|1 year 1 week ago||Much Appreciated||
Sounds like I need to head over to Mason Whole Foods for lunch on Monday.....
|1 year 1 week ago||Where in Cincy?||
What Pubs/Retail Outlets in Cincy carry Hopslam?
|1 year 9 weeks ago||M has to go back to White Socks!||
Watching last weekend's Tiebreaker and remembering how great our unis loooked with the black shoes and white socks makes me wish for UM to resurrect this traditional, classic look. Like most everyone on the blog, I will always maintain that UM Football has the best uniforms on the planet regardless of sport, but I'm not a big fan of the blue socks/black shoes. Alabama, PSU and USC still sport the white socks which fully preserves all components of their traditional uniform and distinquishes them from everyone else.
|1 year 25 weeks ago||Zing Zang = best Bloddy Mary Mix on the market||
An excellent take on a morning tailgate requirement. I trend towards Tito's Vodka (great taste, resonably priced and American-made) + plenty of horsradish (that's where you get your heat/spice, NOT from a hot sauce) + a liberal amount of Worcestershire + garnish of your choice (I like pickled green beans and olives).
|1 year 26 weeks ago||Jack Daniels & Vernors||
....a much improved twist on a Jack & Ginger
|1 year 31 weeks ago||Variation on #1....||
1. Why do dogs lick their balls? Because they can't make a fist.
|1 year 31 weeks ago||These Two....||
1. An old man walks into a pub in Scottland, his feet shuffling, his back bent. He drags himself onto a stool and orders a beer. Placing the full glass in front of him, the bartender inquires upon his sad face.
2. There were these two guys having lunch one day when the first guy says to the second one, "Have you ever made a Freudian Slip during a mundane conversation?"
"What's a Freudian Slip?" asks the second one.
"Have you ever said one thing subconsciously to someone when you meant to say something else?"
"I'm still not clear." replies the second one.
"Well last week I was at the airport in Philly and I wanted to come back here to Pittsburgh and the women at the counter had these enormous breasts so instead of asking for two tickets to Pittsburgh, I asked for two pickets to Tittsburgh."
"I now I know what you mean.", says the second guy. "Why just this morning I was having breakfast with my wife. Instead of asking 'Honey, please pass the sugar' I said, 'YOU FUCKING BITCH, YOU'RE RUINING MY LIFE!!'"
|1 year 32 weeks ago||For Your Consideration.....||
|1 year 35 weeks ago||Dennis Franklin||
....followed closely (in no particular order) by Tom Brady, Rick Leach and John Harbaugh. Dennis Franklin was Michgan's QB when I first fell in love with UM Football. Back in the glory days of the Big 2/Little 8 and the 10 Year War, he had an astounding 30-2-1 record as a starter yet never went to a bowl game. Unfortunately, the 2 losses and 1 tie were all against Ohio, with the two loses by a combined total of 5 points. He didn't have gaudy stats, but was a great leader and clutch performer - a true Michigan Man.
|1 year 36 weeks ago||What is planned for the dirt...||
....portion of the field at Ray Fisher and Alumin Field? Will these be real dirt cut-outs around a traditional infield or base areas? Or will they do they take the still-getting-used-to-approach of inserting brown Field Turf to simulate infield dirt ala Indiana or Minnesota?