Air Force Head Coach Troy Calhoun had some interesting remarks about Michigan's football team post-game.
Link here because my embedding skills suck. Sorry guys.
1. On the Speed of Michigan
“It was a factor…..High quality players…..They are an exceptional group”
2. On Michigan’s physicality
“They’re a stout group. I mean, an impressive squad. Certainly are going to win a bunch of football games this year. It’s just their size, their athleticism, and a pretty complete group.”
3. Game plan-wise, you didn’t complete a pass in the first half…were you concentrating on establishing the run?
“Well, they are a little bit different. They probably don’t have to quite commit as many guys to the run as maybe some of other squads we’ve faced. It’s not like there were 11 guys within 4 yards of the line of scrimmage, so they had something to do with that (lack of success throwing).
4. About getting outside on Michigan in the 2nd half
“Well, we probably blocked a little bit better. And then, candidly, in the first…especially the first 25 minutes of the game, we’ tried…..but.... to block bodies that size, that move that well and that play blocks as well as they do, again…I mean, that’s a credit to their guys.”
5. Was their anything about Michigan that surprised you, that you didn’t expect to see today that you didn’t see on film?
“Um, I wouldn’t say surprise. But I think once you get on the field and you recognize with whom they are playing, it’s impressive. It is. You know, they’ve done a super, super job in recruiting, it does hurt a bit when you get a chance to play a game here (Ann Arbor) where they’ve been pretty fair the last 2 ½ years.”
6. What did you see on the punt return. Did your kicker sort of outkick the coverage there?
“Uh no sir. I think the returner, like a said a bit earlier, he’s a…..he’s not small, and he does have some decent feet, any time you got that kind of combination with a returner, they have good strength in order to break some tackles. They did a good job with three key blocks and once he’s got a little bit of room, he’s gonna go.”
7. You held them mainly to field goals, you weren’t giving up touchdowns until the very end…your defense….you held them to 5 field goals.
“We did. We gave up some yards. Like I said we’re going to dissect and debrief and learn from this and keep developing. That’s what we really, really have to do."