Umm, I'm not sure anyone is hiding behind a computer if his name is on that.
I did not make this headline up
Umm, I'm not sure anyone is hiding behind a computer if his name is on that.
Joey Bosa can back that shit up in about 8 weeks? I wonder?
So, we don't want to fire Mattison this week? Okay, maybe next week we can all call for his head again.
with Mattison was on UCONN's one td, the playcall was asking Wormley to cover the RB out of the backfield. That defensive playcall was doomed before the play even started.
They had one real drive and we played pretty damn well considering the positions turnovers, punts and kicks out of bounds put the defense in. They clearly made adjustments from last week and improved.
My only nitpick is Bolden (and maybe other LBs) still is not carrying the TE down the seam. We gave up a few throws as a result. Otherwise it was a solid performance and the win belongs to them.
You guys are homers
our D gave up 24 to one of the worst teams in football
it's going to be a long season
agree but devin gave the 7 on the fumble. they locked up in the 4th, uconn was bad on offense though, early we sucked.
They had like 4 3 and outs in a row before they gave up the one drive.
Eric mangusson, devin and Borges " scored" one of the Tds and the other one was the carom of our punt return team. I would put the first td on the d but the other two were largely do to other folks.
post sarcastic. 14 of those points were not on the defense, the defense gave up one scoring drive the entire game. 206 yards allowed for the game is a good defensive effort.
are pathetic we should be shutting out teams like akron and uconn
206 yds for the game almost beat us.
game you were watching, the pass rush looked much better tonight. It was only UCONN, but at least it is a start to give the d-line more confidence.
Take the rest of the night off. Things will feel better in the morning.
. . . we might have a shutout. You keep giving them the ball in good field position without scoring, you build their confidence.
But that's the offense fault 4 TO and u still win the game u shut up and take the win defense played the best game of the season in my opinion
EDIT: Whoops, thought you were talking to me.
May be time to step away from the keyboard for the night.
(1) UConn scored 21, not 24; (2) if you take out the last play, where we were playing to keep them short of 29 yards, the D gave up less than 200 yards. That is a good performance against anyone; (3) 7 points came off a fumble, so now it's own to 14; (4) another 7 came with them starting at our 11 yard line.
In summation, you are wrong.
no, i am not
our D can't make plays
hurries? sacks? 1 a game maybe?
3rd down stops?
Our D had a ton of 3rd down stops tonight. And at least two sacks.
Have you had too much to drink by chance? If people want to panic over the offense after the last 2 weeks that is reasonable, but the defense played well tonight.
One third down conversion one too many
Morgan content to go down in a heap at the 12 after that pick? WTF
Can't hold opposing offense to under 200 yards?
Team is 5-7 at best.
Pipkins lacking top-end speed.
Same with QWash.
Especially 2nd half. You didn't even have the score right, guy.
4 sacks. Held UConn to 1-11 on 3rd down. Put down the bottle friend.
R u fuckn kiddn me the defense gets A after this game the offense has been screwing them over the past few weeks and ur blaming them??
Greg Mattison did his job this week.
we should be putting up 70 like that team down there did
and the MSU ND shows ND was overrated as was our win
the defense. The defense played well tonight. Pass rush was actually there, which was nice to see.
Offense was horrible, no doubt about that, the D saved UM from an upset.
MSU's defense was expected to be very good, and there hasn't been any evidence to reject that notion yet.
If the MSU's defense is real, they'll stay in some games against top competition. On the flip side, the MSU offense will keep some otherwise inferior teams in games, and a few Sparty, No!s are almost a given this year.
is that you can switch "MSU" for "Michigan" and it applys. We are State this year. I have to go cry.... Our offense is totally allowing teams to become confident.
and I don't think today counts because Towson had a sack-a-palooza on UConn, we are as good as we were last year on D. If Jake Ryan comes back to 100%, our defense will be Top 20 again. If he doesn't, we need a few guys to step up consistently (maybe Clark, Wormley, Godin, Ojemudia, and Beyer) to be able to put teams away and cause turnovers.
Good. 1TD came on an offensive Fumble. Another was set up by that punt that bounced off one of our guys..... Got to figure on giving up at least one per game..
200 yards and 12 first downs is fine good against anyone. Good job defense. Way to show up against a terrible second string RT, Frank Clark. Please do that against you know, good players. And nice catch, Desmond Morgan. And you executed a zone drop!
I said the dline would come out looking good, akron and nd were short quick pass teams. its not pressure that's our issue, its not playing press coverage much if at all.
I hope the coaches see that every team we have played has attacked the soft zone behind the LB,s. it seems J Ross is getting picked on a lot, It was great to see Morgan get back and steal one, but we have a lot so work to do. GO BLUE!!
Defense did their job today. Played tough and brought pressure.
Pass rush was vastly improved. Only gripe was Avery at corner really.
But they are hardly to blame for tonight's debacle. In fact, one of the only bright spots tonight...the only time I was really disappointed was UConn's second TD drive. Michigan very nearly gave up the TD that was overturned by video review...and then responded by giving up the TD anyway.
But yeah, other than that, defense was not the problem tonight.
Also, thank God for Morgan's INT. And Clark's pass rush. Finally.
Morgan, fantastic! Bolden take notes.
- He has more opportunities to make stops there but teams are going to continue targeting the long ball that should have been a TD against Avery.
- That said, I'm glad Avery is back.
- Bolden is also being targeted in pass coverage for the second straight game
- 4th and 30, why did our coverage guys all play on the line of scrimmage? Serious question.
- I don't know which play but at one point it looked like we had two linebackers standing at the line of scrimmage spying the QB with no eligible receivers within a mile.
- Unfortunately, a very quiet game from Ross
Frank Clark was the one dropping back in coverage as an adjustment to receivers finding seems, correct? Was that the same adjustment that got Wormley burned for the TD?
Desmond Morgan. Quite aside from a truly spectacular interception tonight, I've been very impressed by him so far this season, even if the UFRs don't agree as much. He seems to be in position to make a lot of plays, I don't see as many stupid mental errors, and when he makes contact, that ball carrier go backwards.
This. Times 10. Desmond appears to be turning into a reliable and sturdy MLB. He doesn't seem to have the flash all the time (fabulous interception tonight aside), but he is always around the ball carrier and making plays. Additionally, I completely agree with what you said re: when he makes contact. He's one of the first LB's I feel like we've had in a while that really does DELIVER the blow to the opponent. He always seems to be screaming to his assignment. One thing I will always remember from my cfb days was that coaches would say "If you're going to make a mistake on a play, make the mistake at 90 MPH." Desmond seems to be living that type of mantra, and that is what I want from my MLB.
The defense showed up tonight. Countess played great like always, and we started seeing some pressure on the QB. They are hardly to blame tonight. I really only attribute 7 of UConn's points as being on the defense. They got screwed and put in a bad spot with that muffed punt, and obviously Gardner's fumble 6 accounted for the other 7.
Mattison's boys rebounded tonight. They get my stamp of approval.
1. Desmond Morgan is maturing into a good leader in the back of the D. Great hands on that INT. Good vision on the return, also.
2. We have very good young talent on our roster. Ojemudia and Wormley were a nice change of pace, along with Frank Clark in the 4th Quarter.
3. Still a little concerned that we're playing such soft coverage on the outside. When we've pressed, we haven't been beaten, and we've gift-wrapped lots of yardage with underneath throws to the sideline. The CB is right there when the ball comes, but he's always on the other side of the receiver. Easy catches for 8-13 yards regularly.
4. Everyone will bitch about giving up 26 on a 4th and 29, but the play worked exactly as drawn up on defense. The safeties stayed on the down line and met the receiver at the point of the catch. No chance to make it past them because they allowed the play to be in front of them. I know it was close, but it worked just as it was drawn up. Good patience on that one. A Hail Mary would have scared me more. Too many chances for weird catch, PI, etc.
5. This defense is only going to get better in a few weeks when Jake MF Ryan returns. Thankfully, that's right about when I get really nervous about our opponents.
Get any pressure on Akron or Uconn, but Gardner always seemed to be under pressure.
Pressure was much better tonight. Front four was doing a much better job of getting off blocks.
The defense played pretty good against a bad team with two of its best players out with injury. Not the most glowing review. Still think we just have a bunch of guys on D this year. Countess may be a playmaker.