Here's a form of questions that developed in my mind over the last few days reading the board.
The format isn't perfect, but it's all I can do on Turkey Day.
For the 1st few questions, please note:
- The divisions change to an E-W grouping beginning next year: M, OSU, PSU, MSU, Maryland, Rutgers in the east.
- The 2014 CFB playoff begins next year: top 4 teams selected by committee, two semifinals played in bowl games, and a national championship game played in a different city each year. AFAIK, a conference title is NOT required.
For the last several questions:
- By accountability, I mean: how much blame and/or credit to you assign for each of the 2011-2015 seasons (as a %)?
- For a given year, please try to have your total add up to 100%.
Thanks in advance. I typically welcome constructive criticism, but please be advised in advance that:
- I know it's not a scientific poll and I am not a psychometrician nor do I play one on TV
- I'm probably not going to make any changes (typos or otherwise) b/c I don't have the time nor inclination to do so.
- The board has been very toxic recently- I'm just asking for your input. If this generates discussion fine, but if you don't have something constructive to say, don't bother.
Thanks for your time and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Edit: At a response count of 230, I played with some of the data: that's the .XLSX file (2nd link above). The graphs show histograms of each accountability in each of the 5 years 2011-2015: % of total responders VS accountability as a decimal. Basically, if the peaks are leftward, the coach was not held accountable. Peaks on the right indicate high accountability.
Most of the accountability (as you look from 2011-15) is what you'd expect, but the interesting thing (IMO) is how the RR & Transition (labelled as O, for other) accountabilities are fairly static from 2011 to 2012 and even for 2013 a bit. Clearly, after 2013 it's all on Hoke. Apparently people hold the previous coach consistently accountable for 2 years, then in year 3 an "accountability transition" takes place and by year 4 & beyond the overwhelming majoriety of people don't credit/blame the previous coach.
AFA the division, B10 title and playoff expectations: you can always look at the pie charts on the google response form - just submit a blank response and click 'view previous responses." Peolpe expect M to contend for the division every year or most years, win the division every other year (or most years!), win the B10 every 3-4 years and enter the playoff system every 4-5 years. Expectations are actually below what I expected, b/c thinking about this in the abstract is MUCH less emotional- since we haven't experienced the missed opportunities 1st hand, we seem to have more reasonable expectations. IMO, if M wins the B10 every 3-4 years that's a reasonable expectation, but I don't think most people will be all that pleased with that as an OUTCOME. Also, I kind of doubt we reach that title rate with OSU in the division, MSU performing well and PSU not bottoming out quite as much as expected.
People at this point are not confident that BH will reach their expectation levels: about 50% of people were basicailly 50-50 (maybes), UNLESS a change in offense is made. Again, you can see the Google results for this as well.
There are now 300 responses in the raw google forms spreadsheet- that's the 1st link. Feel free to create more eye-friendly charts and view the data as you wish. Thanks for the responses!