OT: What font is used in Michigan endzone

Submitted by sum1valiant on October 11th, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Thus far i've invested about 30 hours into creating a portable beer pong table to unveil at the game this weekend (this is what an extra week of vacation in October produces).  I'm about to get started on the top, which will be the field, but I cannot figure out what font is used for "Michigan" in the endzones.  From what i've found, it looks like Book Antiqua, but that just doesn't look right on paper and I know the entire thing's going to look a little goofy if this font isn't correct.  Thanks for the help, I'll put some pictures up when i've got it all wrapped up.      



October 11th, 2010 at 10:24 AM ^

This is a very interesting question that I have never thought of but am now very interested to know. FWIW, I always thought the block M was a unique creation by the university. That's complete speculation though.


October 11th, 2010 at 10:42 AM ^

I'm old enough to remember when coverage of Michigan football for out-of-staters was limited to a paragraph in the local paper, and a half hour college football preview on CNN with odds-maker Danny Sheridan.  Then you got 2 games on TV on Saturday.

Now we're discussing the font of the letters in the Michigan end zone on a Monday morning.  And there's nothing even unusual about this.  Cool.


October 11th, 2010 at 11:48 AM ^

My guess is that most likely it's a proprietary font, designed especially for the University of Michigan.  I used to work in brand management, and that is one of the tactics we use to protect our brand.