Pretty incredible statistic if you think about it.
When Michigan is NOT in the Top 10 and Penn State IS in the Top 10, we have a 5-1 record against the Nittany Lions with our only loss to them being Rich Rod's 3-9 team in 2008, when #3 Penn State beat unranked Michigan 46-17. These weren't fringe Top 10 UM teams either; none of the 5 Michigan wins came when Michigan was in the Top 15, their average ranking was below where we will be this week at #19.
- 2007: Unranked Michigan defeats #10 Penn State 14-9
- 2005: Unranked Michigan defeats #8 Penn State 27-25
- 1999: #16 Michigan defeats #6 Penn State 31-27
- 1998: #22 Michigan defeats #9 Penn State 27-0
- 1993: #18 Michigan defeats #7 Penn State 21-13
Overall, Michigan is 6-2 against Top Ten Penn State teams, including a 3-1 record in Happy Valley.
The teams have only met twice with both in the Top Ten (both were actually Top 5 matchups), with PSU taking a victory in The Big House in 1994 and Michigan throttling the Nittany Lions on Judgment Day in 1997 at Beaver Stadium.
Obviously, none of this has any direct bearing on Saturday's game; but it has certainly been done before. With a defense like ours, we have a chance, even if it's not a big one. Let's not give up hope yet.