- Member for
- 8 years 34 weeks
- View recent blog entries
- Denard's arm vs. 8 men in the box. I think MSU will crowd the box early, and roll #9 down as an extra man. Press coverage on the outside opens up 3-step slant/fade routes with a single safety. Completing some passes early will keep the OLBs honest in their alignment, usually splitting the distance on the slot receiver. Michigan receivers getting good releases against press coverage is also important.
- Michigan OL vs Gholston and Worthy. The other D-linemen don't worry me, but these two will make some plays. Worthy is going to get a couple TFL's, but getting doubles on him when he doesn't get a good jump could keep him under control in the running game. Getting linemen off ot Bullogh will also be important as he reads and reacts very quickly. Controlling Gholston on the pass rush and at least chipping him on backside pursuit is also important.
- RVB and Mike Martin vs double teams. MSU had a hard time single blocking OSU's dline, and did not do a good job blocking linebackers when they managed to get to them. Holding up to doubles and winning single battles will allow the LBs to flow to the ball and hopefully not bite on play action with receivers and TE's running crossing routes.
- Cunningham vs Michigan Secondary. This is the guy MSU wants to hit on a big play. Even when he's covered, he can make a play on the ball. I would feel pretty good about this matchup if Woolfolk were healthy. Michigan also cannot let guys get open when MSU goes max protection and its 2 on 7 in the secondary.
- New packagaes. I have a feeling Borges and Mattison have a few things they've been working on but haven't unleashed. Mike Martin could be moving around a bunch at the line like we saw in the spring on passing downs. I could see Borges giving some looks they haven't seen, such as bubble screens if alignment allows, speed option out of the I, or triple option out of the gun. MSU has seemed to have something ready for M they hadn't shown in previous games the last few years.
- I think MSU gets a big play from Cunningham, and has a couple frustrating long drives using 3 step drops, short play action passes, and 3 yard runs. I also think/hope/pray that Denard finally puts an entire game together with good mechanics, and loosens up the MSU D so the ground game gets going in the second half. I'll take Michigan 24-20.
|7 weeks 4 days ago||Michigan didn't have Peppers.||
Michigan didn't have Peppers. He would have made a two point swing in the game in my opinion.
|7 weeks 4 days ago||Offsides?||
|21 weeks 3 days ago||He tried to cut on his inside foot and fell down||
He tried to cut on his inside foot and fell down
|1 year 4 weeks ago||He said he has had little to||
He said he has had little to no contact with the staff for 7 months. Did he ever take an official visit to Michigan or try to set one up during the season?
|1 year 11 weeks ago||We get that you don't like||
We get that you don't like Michigan Mark, but shouldn't you be preparing for Iowa?
|1 year 20 weeks ago||Canteen's path wasn't flat enough to get that cut||
Canteen's path wasn't flat enough to get that cut
|2 years 12 weeks ago||I thought the guy behind Irvin was on his back||
I thought the guy behind Irvin was on his back
|3 years 23 weeks ago||4 for Akron||
I have four tickets available for Akron for $65 each. You can contact me at [email protected]
|4 years 12 weeks ago||But that's the point. Those||
But that's the point. Those banners will never be hung at Chrisler, and the Fab Five will most likely not be invited back for acknowledgment. Ohio just honored a guy who lied to the NCAA 3 times in the same investigation.
|4 years 12 weeks ago||I do think it was terrible||
I do think it was terrible play calling in the second half. Borges went away from everything that was successful in the first half. How many a gap iso's did they run in the first half? And how many times did they get denard to the edge for nice yardage in the first hald? And you repeatedly roll Gardner to the left in the second half which is a tough throw for a righty? I get that it was the wide side but he's just not as accurate on a roll out that way. I was puzzled to say the least. It will be better when the interior o-line has guys built for what Borges likes to do, but I don't think Borges put his guys in the best position to win. That is the frustrating part.
|4 years 16 weeks ago||It looks like on the first||
It looks like on the first Mealer and Omameh play, the DT might be aligned closer to head up on Omameh and then slants inside. In the second play, he is lined up in the gap and Mealer helps. Their blocking rules might dictate that Omameh is on his own if he's back side with a head up DT.
|4 years 16 weeks ago||Yes, its usually the center||
Yes, its usually the center or the QB who identifies Mike. The QB has to know as well if he is making a run/pass call at the line of scrimmage.
|4 years 16 weeks ago||It looks to me like there is||
It looks to me like there is a miscommunication on the iso as to which player is the Mike linebacker. I don't know their blocking rule specifically, but it almost looks like Mealer is blocking like #45 has been designated as MIke, and Schofield is blocking like Compton has been designated as Mike. But that's just a guess.
|5 years 15 weeks ago||If the backside DE stays home||
If the backside DE stays home every time, then there is 5 on 5 blocking for the Oline. Thats the whole point of running the play. It gives you a numbers advantage regardless of how the defense defends it. You want to bring a safety into the box? I'll hit a seam behind him. You want to run the scrape exchange? I'll run the zone read with a bubble or a triple option. When an offense like that is executing at a high level, it can make the defense wrong on almost every play.
|5 years 18 weeks ago||Quarterbacks do practice||
Quarterbacks do practice throwing without stepping into their throws. They practice throwing on rollouts and squaring their shoulders to the target while throwing on the run. They practice throwing while hitching up into the pocket under pressure. But when Manning had time on a three step drop, I bet he stepped into the throw. Denard still hasn't mastered that basic throw especially when throwing to the left. I think he will master this and other skills, but I don't think we will really see the results until next year. Michigan did not play well today, but Sparty beats us 4 times in a row once a century. Denard and Michigan will bounce back from this, and they will continue to improve.
|5 years 18 weeks ago||its disappointing because we||
its disappointing because we did not play our best game. I hate to say this, but we kind of choked against good competition. The dropped snaps, fancy play action on fourth and inches when the a gaps were open for a few inches, and maddening incompletions to open receivers. I figured state would make some plays on D, but way too many missed opportunities and unforced errors. I also thought there were too many deep routes. Let the rb slip out and take the place of the two backers blitzing A gaps. Give Huyge some help on #28 blitzing, because he obviously could not handle him one on one. Do something to stop them from blitzing. I personally did not like taking Denard out of the game as much as they did. I don't know if that didn't allow him to get into the rythm of the game. We saw some glimpses of Devin's talent, but his involvement was too sporadic, and he just wasn't seeing what msu was doing. Now I'm writing half drunk run on sentences. This one is going to hurt, but they have to regroup and play better in two weeks. They still have a chance to win the division.
|5 years 19 weeks ago||A few things I'll be||
A few things I'll be watching
|5 years 22 weeks ago||"Passing Game: Benny Friedman||
"Passing Game: Benny Friedman and the transformation of football" by Murray Greenberg. It tells the story of Benny Friedman's life and his great career at Michigan including the famous Benny to Bennie connection.
|5 years 25 weeks ago||LOIC? repeat offender? Just||
LOIC? repeat offender? Just what does it take to get any real punishment?
|5 years 32 weeks ago||Two things: The NCAA hates||
Two things: The NCAA hates liars, and the penalites are generally double the violations. So you've got a head coach who lies three times to the NCAA and has ineligible players on the field for an entire season. That seems like a 10 scholarship reduction for 2-3 years and a 2 year bowl ban to me.
|6 years 12 weeks ago||There is nothing wrong with||
There is nothing wrong with the 3-3-5. We ran it in college and shut down power running teams. Its a matter of having a defensive coordinator who understands how to run it and talented players to execute the scheme.
|6 years 20 weeks ago||I disagree about a hard cover||
I disagree about a hard cover 2 corner. Generally, the corner will funnel to the inside. If he funnels outside, he turns his back to the QB and loses anybody coming into his zone. Also, the receiver and QB and hook up for an easy cover 2 fade. Thats why you always run double slant against cover 2 and not the slant/arrow combo on the 3 step. That being said, most teams I played against ran a soft two where the corners would get depth until their flat was threatned.
|6 years 20 weeks ago||If you're looking for a||
If you're looking for a breakfast place, The Farm on 5th street is outstanding. I think I will be their myself on Sunday morning.
|6 years 21 weeks ago||Yes it is under that policy.||
Yes it is under that policy. Her purse will not be allowed in the stadium.
|6 years 23 weeks ago||It was 10 yards from the spot||
It was 10 yards from the spot of the foul which occured downfield.
|6 years 23 weeks ago||Fans can't enjoy a win, and||
Fans can't enjoy a win, and have to immediately question the competency of the defense? Michigan just won in South Bend which is a rare occurence. Fans should be happy and drink beer.
|6 years 23 weeks ago||Can anybody enjoy a win for||
Can anybody enjoy a win for at least 24 hours? even the players get all day tomorrow to enjoy it.
|6 years 27 weeks ago||If it really came down to||
If it really came down to game day, they would not dress. It is against the rules for somebody on the same team to have a different uniform. We did something like this in college. If you didn't pass the conditioning test at the beginning of camp, you didn't get your helmet logo stickers. Anybody who didn't have them had to do extra conditioning at the end of practice every day or way early in the morning. Once you passed, you got your helmet logos, but if you didn't manage to pass before the end of camp, everybody got their stickers the Thursday before the first game. I don't know if RR would actually keep anybody from dressing, but nobody will be out there in a solid blue helmet.
|6 years 41 weeks ago||Perhaps Desmond is the guy||
Perhaps Desmond is the guy who can return the smoke monster to the waterfall and Jack takes over for Jacob?
|7 years 5 weeks ago||They probably only wrote that||
They probably only wrote that so if the defense is bad again they can say something like "coach rod BAD for DEFENSE and also whole PROGRAM. WE sAid this in JanruARY. WE ARE SO SMRT. no SUGARCOAT."