OT: If RISK and WORLD CUP SOCCER can be considered off topic at MGOBLOG
Having been a world cup fan(atic) since 94', in 2006 I thought of this idea for a world cup bracket type pool and it worked pretty good with about 10 entrants last time so I thought I would throw it to the Mgoblogship for usage/feedback.
The abridged rules are below. I rigged up an excel file for databases that is also crude by modern standards but functional in case any mixmasters want to try it at home. I am also interested in feedback, suggestions on the rules, statistics, grammar, etc.
- Ante/Country Selection/Rank Assignment (Before Round 1 – Due June 10th, 2010)
- Round 1 Scoring – Matches 1-48
- Round 2 Scoring – Matches 49-64
- World Domination vs. Surrender (tournament ends in early July/payout)
Ante & Selection
Ante $10 with entry, mail to MIXMASTER prior to first game kick off on 6/11/10.
Include your email with picks if you want updates on standings.
Entry should include your selection of 16 teams from the 32 team field according to the following scheme that borrows from “RISK” board game jargon.
--Choose 2 “Cannons”: These are your 2 overall favorites to win the WORLD CUP
--Choose 6 “Cavalry”: 4 are work horses you expect to win games and advance to round 2, and 2 are dark horses you expect to overachieve relative to their FIFA world ranking as of 3/31/10.
--Choose 8 “Infantry”: who you expect to survive and advance into Round 2.
Country Selection/Rank Assignment RULES
--You MUST choose 2 teams from each of the 8 Groups A through H to make up your alliance.
--Your alliance MUST include at least 1 team from the 4 Geography Categories listed below.
--Your 2 Dark Horses MUST be ranked 3rd or 4th by FIFA within their Group (ie., listed 3rd or 4th in Groups A-H below).
- For a good general resource web page for match schedules, team rankings, team news, tv schedules, South African Stadia, team & world cup history, check out http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/index.html.
Round 1 Scoring.
In Round 1, each team in your alliance earns you 5 points for a tie, and 10 points for a win in the 3 games against other members of their group. Two teams per group advance to the second, knock out round.
At the end of Round 1, countries advancing to Round 2 earn the following REWARD points:
Infantry, Cavalry, Cannon = 20 points
Dark Horse = 30 points
Round 2 Scoring.
In Round 2/Single elimination, only winning counts. Here each win earns a premium reward. The 3rd place/consolation game counts. If a team in your alliance wins the world cup, their reward is doubled for that game (ie. Cavalry winner = 60 pts for championship game).
Infantry = 20 points
Cavalry = 30 points
Cannon = 50 points
Enjoy 4 years as a champion of world cup football or continue to find other ways to take over and dominate—either way -- cheers! If there is a tie, pool pot is split between those tied at the end.
World Cup 2010 Groups & FIFA World Ranking on 3/31/10.
Pick 2 teams from each group for your alliance (Worksheet #1). Dark Horse Candidates in Italics.
France 8th (E)
Mexico 17th (N&CA/Asia)
Uruguay 18th (SA)
South Africa 88th (Af)
Greece 11th (E)
Nigeria 22nd (Af)
Korea Republic 49th (N&CA/Asia)
England 7th (E)
United States 16th (N&CA/Asia)
Algeria 27th (Af)
Slovenia 29th (E)
Germany 6th (E)
Serbia 15th (E)
Australia 19th (N&CA/Asia)
Ghana 31st (Af)
Netherlands 3rd (E)
Cameroon 20th (Af)
Denmark 34th (E)
Japan 45th (N&CA/Asia)
Italy 5th (E)
Paraguay 23rd (SA)
Slovakia 33rd (E)
New Zealand 79th (N&CA/Asia)
Brazil 2nd (SA)
Portugal 4th (E)
Cote D’ Ivorie 25th (Af)
Korea DPR 105th (N&CA/Asia)
Spain 1st (E)
Chile 13th (SA)
Switzerland 20th (E)
Honduras 36th (N&CA/Asia)
Select at least 1 team from each category as part of your alliance. Teams listed before the / qualified for WC 2006, teams after the slash (/) did not qualify in 2006. (Worksheet #2)
- Europe (13):Netherlands, Spain, France, England, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Serbia / Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Greece
- North & Central America OR Asia (8): US, Mexico, Australia, Korea Republic, Japan / Honduras, New Zealand, Korea DPR
- South America (5):Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay / Uruguay, Chile
- Africa (6):Cote’ D Ivorie, Ghana / Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, South Africa
ALLIANCE SELECTIONS and Score at Home Grid:
Alliance NAME ______________________ Email: ______________
RND 1 RND 2 Country
Country T (x5) #W(x10) ADV-Bonus TOT #W TOT TOTAL
1. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
2. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
3. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
4. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
5. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
6. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
DARK HORSES (must have lowest two rankings of the 4 teams in their Group A-H)
7. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
8. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
9. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
10. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
11. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
12. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
13. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
14. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
15. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
16. : / / / _______ // / ______ // ________
I'm in if we can pay via paypal. I don't remember the last time I mailed an actual letter. It may have been 2003.
I can't believe what I just saw....
This is impressive. I was going to have my colleagues pay $5 to pull one of the 32 out of a hat...
For MgoBloggers interested in playing in this WC/Risk Pool, I'm okay being your moderator if we do it via exchanged emails and paypal.
If just a few of you opt in, you would be added to the existing pool which should be between 10- 20 entrants not counting MgBers.
If more than a few MgBers want in, I would moderate a separate pool of up to 20 MgB entrants (the first 20 payments received). I won't accept additional payments in the unlikely event that over 20 of you want in. Either way, I would post all the picks and give weekly point total updates during the games. With 20 of you in, the payout would be $210 since I would be in it to win it if I'm crunching the numbers...
If you interested, I just set up a new email account at excite.com for this endeavor. Here is the address to acquire an entry form: [email protected]
PS: I do have a paypal account for receiving entry fees and payout if you win.
I like the concept of a WC bracket, but what's the deal with the cannons, etc?
This is awesome. I'm too intimidated (and lack the knowledge) to play, but this is a great idea.
Can you send money via online poker transfer? Full Tilt or Poker Stars.
when I have figured out the explanation you've just posted.
Great idea! Where do we send out picks? I'd prefer paypal too.