A couple weeks ago, I put together a google map with all of the Michigan bars I'm aware of (and also everything from the spreadsheet that bouje has been maintaining.) The map is here.
Hopefully this will prevent the "where's the Michigan bar in Pittsburgh/Fresno/Topeka/wherever" threads that pop up every week, but if your favorite gameday hangout isn't on here, put it in the thread and let me know. I'll do my best to keep the map up to date.
With 10 or so days to go I will just do a running update to keep this stuff on page 1 of the diary, and with new updates as needed. Here is V1.0.
Aside from the 2 commits the # of open spots is in question; with scholarships assumed to be offered to both Glasgows and Kerridge there would only be 4 open spots left. Howeva.... if there is some attrition that has happened but not yet announced there may be more. Also we don't know Harbaugh's stance on grayshirts. And we *do* seem to be recruiting as if we have more than 4 spots - but maybe that's just Harbaugh covering all bases. So instead of 6-8 spots I am going to go 6-9 on our commit board. 9 new commits (inclusive of the 2 Saturday) would give us 15 in the class.
My pulled out of rear end class then falls like this
- TE Chris Clark OR non Clark TE (Matt Snyder?)
RB Mike Weber OR RB/ATH John KellyJake Pickard DE
- FB Reagan Williams
- CB Damon Arnette
- (Committed) DE/OLB hybrid Reuben Jones
- (Committed) QB Zach Gentry
- (if room) A second CB - too foggy to tell but not likely Marshall; Lockett/Adams/Bush most likely
- (if room) OL Nolan Ulizio
RB Mike Weber/ATH John Kelly - edit: Zach Gentry (?)TE/DE Ty Wheatley Jr? LB Roquan Smith?
- 2 commits - QB Gentry and DE Jones
- Jake Pickard is being recruited as a DE not a TE which makes him a much more serious candidate. He also has had UM as his dream school. If anyone else commits this weekend he sounds like the one.
- RB/DB John Kelly committed to TN and it sounds like UM does not have much chance although Harbaugh supposedly will keep recruiting til NSD
- I've soured on RB Mike Weber flip due to him "most likely" not coming to visit and him attenting OSU's NC celebration. Now he is a local guy so he need not visit to commit but tea leaves seem to working against UM.
- I thought OL Ulizio was a no brainer if we offered but apparently his dad works in Pittsburgh and he has a bevy of former teammates who go to Kentucky. So not a slam dunk.
- I thought the same for FB Reagan Williams but again he sounded as if Michigan is more of an exploratory visit at this point. Of course the Harbaugh charm can change that. Still projecting him.
- We have a new CB Markel Bush who is not rated or offered anywhere, but UM seems interested in.
- CB Will Lockett sounds open to flipping and he is not going to wait until NSD to decide between UM and UCLA. So we should know his decision early this week I imagine.
- Jay Harbaugh and Drevno visited TE/DE Wheatley so maybe they are viewing him as a TE even at 260 lbs? The recruitment of Pickard/Jones as DEs would seem to support that. Wheatley continues to have a mean poker face.
- The recruitment of CB Chris Williamson seems to be blowing up with a lot of southern schools involved; he will be a very tough pull now.
- In house visit with CB Iman Marshall Monday; still considered a massive USC lean but UM has done all it can do - Iman's dad seems to be very important to "flip".
- LB Roquan Smith has a final 3 of that includes UM. Cross fingers he leaves GA.
Just for kicks section - a 13 man class with Clark, Arnette, Williams, Lockett, Pickard added to our current 8 would vault the class from current #72 to #34 via 247.
Position by position
- Chris Clark - target #1. NSD decision between UCLA and UM. Gut feel says UM despite recent comments about neck and neck with UCLA. UM offense focuses on TE, UCLA does not. UM coaches have developed NFL TEs. Heart was once with UM.
- Matt Snyder - current NEB commit set to visit this weekend. Followed Riley from Oregon State to Nebraska.
- (sorta) Ty Wheatley - seems to project more to DE but some feel at 260 lbs he can still be a TE as he grows in the coming years. Durkin and Jay Harbaugh visited so maybe UM views as a very large TE down the road.
Projecting - Chris Clark
- Reagan Williams - Stanford commit visiting this weekend. With Kerridge and Houma both graduating post 2015 and Shallman the only type on roster to fill this roll this position is a need. Looks like he will be visiting for 3 days so serious interest. Can play close to home as he is from Ohio. 50/50 chance perhaps.
Projecting - Reagan Williams. Harbaugh magic works this weekend.
- Mike Weber - former UM commit who could see the competition crowding at OSU. Yes UM will probably get a good back in 2016 as well to provide competition but the entire roster not named Ty Isaac clears out at RB post 2016. Clearer path to playing time here, close to home, etc.
Projecting - Looks like tea leaves read none; maybe an unknown emerges next week at the last minute.
- McClane Carter - wasn't much interest in Carter nationally until Jim sniffed around which brought along some other interests. Not sure if this is a scholarship type of guy or someone who you bring in for a year with a chance to earn a scholarship when more open up in year 2.
Projecting - We are done here.
- Ryan Davis - super fun HS QB who might not have top flight speed but ridiculous change of direction and vision. Will know better in the coming days if there is anything real here. Would love this guy for punt returns and as a slot WR.
- [Edit] Austin Aaron - Cal commit, some noise early in Harbaugh chase with him ; not hearing much lately.
Projecting - none.
- Nolan Ulizio - lightly ranked OL out of OH, committed to UConn getting some love from Michigan, Kentucky. On paper seems like a no brainer to UM. But if higher rated prospects at other positions are in play he might be told there is no room in the closing days of the signing period. If this class was 16+ spots he'd probably be a close to sure yes.
Projecting - maybe Ulizio - some of this is due to openings and he has reasons to choose Pitt or UK.
- Damon Arnette - SC commit getting the most attention of a host of CB prospects. Was in town this past weekend and was visited by Harbaugh, Durkin, and Mattison at home Wednesday. His HS is a NFL factory so is a key bridge to get into that school.
- Chris Williamson - late riser on recruiting boards out of GA getting interest from UF, UM, NC, Cal and GA. Was at NC last weekend, will be at UM this weekend, then UF the following weekend.
- Will Lockett - UCLA commit who will be in town this weekend
- Jarius Adams - Rutgers commit
- Iman Marshall - obviously a crown jewel but some believe to be a silent commit to USC which of course they deny. Dad did not join him on trip. Sounds like UM did a great job hosting but most likely too little too late and a 2nd/3rd place finish for his services.
- Markel Bush - little is known of this mystery candidate
Projecting - serious chance for 2 CBs even if we only have 6 slots. Guessing Arnette is 1. Hopefully Williamson is impressed this weekend but still has a visit to UF next weekend. Most likely the 2nd spot is Lockett/Adams/Bush.
Jake Pickard - current WIS commit who seems to have UM as his dream school, in town this weekend - seems to be on commit watch.
- Jalen Bates - ASU commit but not much noise here after some initial excitement. No crystal ballz to UM.
- KLS - sort of been a tease from afar thru the Hoke era, but a UCLA commit and it seems solid.
- Ty Wheatley (more likely here than TE) - dude could play a great game of poker.
Projecting - Jake Pickard.
- Roquan Smith - highly ranked GA LB is a major target for UM, who has a chance due to Durkin. Most still think he is headed to GA but this past weekend seemd to do UM a lot of good. The longer his recruiting process goes the better for UM's chances.
Projecting - none.
OFF THE BOARD / UNLIKELY
John Kelly (also a potential DB) - Harbaugh is saying very nice things about him and crystall ballz trending our way but UM was late to this game.
MSU andTN seem to be the major competition. Just committed to TN, UM will continue to pursue to NSD.
- Marcus Lewis CB - this seemed like a sure commit post summer BBQ. But his final 3 is Kentucky, Miami (YTM), and WSU (?!).
- Nate Dalton CB - visited in home and at school by Harbaugh Tuesday but more interested in Liberty. Or Bret B at Arkansas.
- Arrington Farrar S - a Stanford decommit who sounded like a natural fit but the last 5 crystal ballz have him headed to ND.
- Drew Lock QB - Missouri commit looks like a no.
- Joe Burrow QB - OSU commit apparently told Jim no.
- Cordell Broadus WR - his dad wants him to go to USC, and other than some nice words before Harbaugh was hired about Harbaugh there doesn't seem to be much connection there.
Auden Tate WR - committed to FSU last summer,
not much smoke anymore. [edit: Harbaugh apparently visited 1/22]
- David Moorman OL - exiled WIS commit seems to want to hear from UM; not sure if there is any smoke there.
[edit again] Joshua McMillon - Alabama commit out of TN who was once sort of high on Michigan during the Hoke period
is set to visit. He cancelled his visit.
It seems that the rate at which Patriots fumble is statistically highly unlikely.
Do you think the coach was not aware of this fact?
Harbaugh attempts a half court shot today. He misses . . . did not have his Khakis on!
When you follow the link it shows him making the same shot over and over in Kansas!
Stumbled across this NFL films documentary/discussion between the three oldest Harbaugh coaches (sorry Jay) and Tom Crean (meh). Not sure when it first aired although clearly while Jim was at Stanford, but it's fun seeing how the brothers interact, the reverence they show for Jack, etc. Jim's "I must win!" vs. John's "I must compete!" is an interesting distinction.
Anyway, it's a good watch. It's on Youku, China's YouTube, so hopefully the embed works fine: link to the site directly is here
EDIT: There's a countdown on the video once you click play but the embed should work fine after that.