also duty-free guys falling over and grabbing their shins
- Member for
- 4 years 50 weeks
- View recent blog entries
|20 hours 7 min ago||UM does do something similar.||
UM does do something similar. Scholarship amount cannot be reduced for 4 years. It can be raised, and then lowered, but both parties must agree.
It's one of the reasons some of the smaller teams at UM sometimes struggle. A large scholarship (IE a 80% or full ride) to a player that ends up not producing. It's dead weight, and you cannot reduce it.
|42 weeks 1 day ago||I appreciate the input!||
I appreciate the input!
|47 weeks 4 days ago||Athletic campus is still||
The area around athletic campus is still around 600+ a month (no bills). It's not that much cheaper. A lot of guys/girls live by the mall or further down packard and use the athletic campus parking pass.
|1 year 20 weeks ago||not for the faint of||
not for the faint of heart:
|1 year 20 weeks ago||By the way, Mich made a nice||
By the way, Mich made a nice chunk of change by hosting those games, and it also helped with recruiting. It remains to be seen if Bakich will continue the trend started under Maloney.
|1 year 20 weeks ago||One of the huge issues with||
One of the huge issues with the current grass is the fact it's extremely hard to get. It's some kind of super Canada grass, which is only grown by one company.
So if any area needed repair or replacement, the in house supply was very very small. (The small patch under scoreboard in right field... For both softball and baseball.)
Drainage was actually pretty good, and the field staff work their ass off to have the field ready. But the Michigan weather is very blah as we all know. And I'm guessing this will be in the outfield too? That's where the worst puddles were.
|1 year 23 weeks ago||6.94 isn't very fast. and at||
6.94 isn't very fast. and at 5'11 170lbs...
and a RHP throwing 85? Those are a dime a dozen.
These recruits look more like projects, more than ready to play...
Plus Illinois has pretty bad prep baseball (like all northern states), so there is huge learning curve as well.
BTW the class of 2014 rankings will be much more accurate after the big national tournaments over the summer. I'd say check back in August to get a better picture of where these guys stack up.
|1 year 37 weeks ago||What a great game... I don't||
What a great game... I don't blame richt for not spiking there... Bama was confused, uga had matchup, and they got lucky a tipped pass floated to another receiver. Not nearly as bad les
|2 years 3 days ago||I no longer live in AA, but||
I no longer live in AA, but that may change come january!
Hoke does run a very tight ship though...
|2 years 3 weeks ago||I just gave you the reasons||
I just gave you the reasons why most of the guys drove "nice" cars. Not to mention if you are pocketing $700+ a month in unused living expense money and want a car, why not go get a lease for $300 a month?
|2 years 3 weeks ago||You are making some huge||
You are making some huge assumptions here.
Ever think that all players did not come from nothing? I know one football player who drove around in a porsche... his parents were loaded. Not to mention some player's parents saved for college, and when that account was no longer needed due to scholarship, that money was spent on a nice car and clothes.
This doesn't just apply to football or basketball either. It is even more prevelant in lesser sports as well.
PS players are paid... the university gives them money every month for living expenses, rent, food, etc. if you are on full scholarship. This check is around 1200$. Live off campus for around 500$ a month, you can pocket the rest.
|2 years 3 weeks ago||I doubt the players have even||
I doubt the players have even been in the stadium that much so far. It would be much more significant if it was in the locker room in Schembechler. Plus things like that get stolen or the player takes them home after every year (I know several people who do this).
|2 years 8 weeks ago||Don't ever think velo in high||
Don't ever think velo in high school comes to college. I've seen maybe 1 or 2 guys maintain velo from high school to college. Most drop 3-5mph. Not to mention, most of these kids are used to throwing a flat fastball that blows kids away, with average offspeed, but no control over it. It's always funny to see the first couple of outtings they have in fall ball (they are not pretty).
Maloney didn't get fired because he couldn't recruit.
|2 years 23 weeks ago||GT is pretty well thought of||
GT is pretty well thought of acadmically, I'd be surprised if they were turned down.
That being said, UGA dominates the state of GA. GT is probably third behind Alabama.
|2 years 23 weeks ago||He's a sophomore.||
He's a sophomore.
|2 years 27 weeks ago||Zoltan also had a 4.0....||
Zoltan also had a 4.0....
|2 years 36 weeks ago||"Toughness is doing the right||
"Toughness is doing the right thing in life. We talk about -- that's what we talk about. So if that's the case, you're being provoked, or this or that true toughness, you walk away. You take your ass-whipping and you go home. And you get better."
This is one of the best quotes I've ever read. It applies to everything.
|2 years 36 weeks ago||Elijah Craig, splash of coke,||
Elijah Craig, splash of coke, a black keys bootleg and a view over the water.
|2 years 36 weeks ago||1) At Michigan, every team||
1) At Michigan, every team had meetings and presentations from the compliance department before, during, and after the season. We had to sign forms saying we understood the rules and what we should and should not do. We mostly policed ourselves, and to those who don't have that discpline or leadership, problems can and will result.
My take is this: The guys who recieved the free tattoos and sold their gear knew it was against the rules. I cannot believe otherwise. They thought they could get away with it and were above the system. Tresseling lying to NCAA was unacceptable, and he recieved proper punishment. I'm a little fuzzy on the details but didn't Tressel hide it from the compliance department as well? If so, shows their merit.
I'd have to pick B, because it was a personal decision by the players, and a bad apple can ruin the bunch, but the Tressel thing was an A.
2) Yes, you were not friendly to everyone on the field, but for baseball and it's summer ball season, a lot of guys knew each other. I can imagine the same is true for most sports due to the rise of travel teams etc. The players do buy into the rivialry, and get amped about it, but it's a respect thing (to the game and other players) as well.
|2 years 36 weeks ago||1) Most athletes, in my||
1) Most athletes, in my experience, didn't come with friends to school, so their exposure to others was limited, outside of dorms, class, etc. It one of those things where most guys have classes together (especially freshman due to their core classes and time restraints) then practice together then study/live together as well. But, that being said, athletes hung out with other athletes, mostly, not to be "better" just more in common and seeing them more (training room, academic center etc.) People tend to gravitate towards people like them. That being said, most athletes are outgoing and sociable, just their exposure is limited. Denard is a great example of this.
2) No such thing as special dorms! The freshmen are split between South and West Quad and randomly dispersed throughout. I know some girl sports room with other girl sports and most guys room with teammates. That being said, I do know some athletes who had non-athlete roommates, and it was no big deal.
3) I won't get into names, but, our compliance department got wrecked and they were always on top of their game. I feel they have a unfair rep now, but they are top-notch.
|2 years 36 weeks ago||Don't you mean what toppings||
Don't you mean what toppings I like on my vegetable?
mushrooms, peppers, a meat of some kind, extra cheese.
|2 years 36 weeks ago||From what I've heard, Hoke||
From what I've heard, Hoke was the number one choice all along. He "consulted" with Miles and Harbaugh, more to please the masses, though.
|2 years 36 weeks ago||Ha! The locks on the gate are||
Ha! The locks on the gate are pretty good...
|2 years 36 weeks ago||No problem!||
|2 years 36 weeks ago||I answered this earlier||
I answered this earlier (baseball), but I love me some golf... Just got to figure out how to not slice!
|2 years 36 weeks ago||The true question is... When||
The true question is... When does a narwhal bacon?
|2 years 36 weeks ago||I lack the chromosome.||
I lack the chromosome.
|2 years 36 weeks ago||Ah! Fergodsakes! The current||
Ah! Fergodsakes! The current students and student-athletes are Wolverines!
|2 years 36 weeks ago||But can one Occupy Mordor?||
But can one Occupy Mordor?
|2 years 36 weeks ago||Pancakes... If you can spray||
Pancakes... If you can spray it like canned whip cream, in a hotel, it's not as good as pancakes.