Good update. Can't afford to have Warren out due to depth. Sucks Forcier couldn't get 5th year, but will be nice to for him to stick around and give Tate support. First time I've heard praises on Floyd from coaches, so good to know he's progressing well. Here's to JT Turner stepping up to be that fourth corner.
Presser Notes 8/18
Ricky Barnum and Thomas Gordon have minor ankle injuries, Mark Moundros has a minor foot injury, and Donovan Warren has a minor knee injury. Walk-on Zach Johnson is also slightly dinged up.
Fitzgerald Toussaint is out for 2-3 weeks with a shoulder injury. With the running back depth the team has, he might end up redshirting unless he can make some serious strides when he is back healthy.
The UConn series was officially announced, and the 2013 game in Hartford will be Michigan's first on the East coast since traveling to Boston College in 1995. Playing in front of 40,000 fans is not as exciting about playing in front of 110,000, but Rodriguez doesn't worry about how many people attend away games. This will be a good opportunity for Michigan fans in New England to see the team in person. If the return game is moved to another venue (Foxboro was mentioned), Michigan wouldn't have the say, that would be on UConn.
QBs We Have:
The young guys are still learning the Michigan offense. Then next phases are learning what defenses will do, then knowing how to counter the things the defense will do. Denard and Tate aren't flustered, despite their inexperience, though Sheridan is the seasoned vet of the group. Talking to Sheridan, he says he's fully healthy from the broken leg. He's up to 220 lbs, and says he's a whole new player from last year, making quicker & better decisions.
QBs We Don't Have:
- Jason Forcier will not be playing for Michigan, as the grad school and eligibility things didn't work out. Though Rodriguez would let him be around the program, it's likely that Jason is ready to move on from the football chapter of his life.
- Greg Paulus has been named the starter at Syracuse, which doesn't surprise Rodriguez. He's a great athlete and person, and he's very intelligent as well. Rich wouldn't be surprised to see Paulus have great success.
Ryan Van Bergen Notes:
Says he's 6-6, up to 275lbs. He plays inside, also learning some 5-technique. The defensive line likes GERG - he's a front 7 coach, and he teaches players why they're doing certain things, rather than just saying "Do it because I'm the coach." Van Bergen also said there is a marked difference in guys going harder during practice this year. The offensive line is a good example, as they've been staying after practice to fine-tune things.
- GERG will be on the field for games, and Gibson moves up to the box to make room for that.
- The changes to the roughing the punter rule will not have a huge effect on Michigan's punting game, as most of their roll punts are still kicked inside the tackle box.
- Justin Turner is practicing in pads, but he's slightly behind in his conditioning.
- There won't be as much DL depth as RR would like this year, but there are only about 2 senior starters on defense, so it will improve next year.
- The corners look good with Warren, Cissoko, and Floyd, but they need a fourth to step up.
STILL no word on witty?!
They still don't know on Witty. I would interpret that as negative news (or lack of news, as it were), obviously.
that the UConn series has been finally announced. I like the opponent and the opportunity to travel to an east coast game. Get healthy Donovan.
I haven't heard anything about Gallon from practice. Does anyone have word on how he has progressed, or impressions that he has made?
He's in the mix, but RR specifically noted slot as one of the positions where there are some truly quality players.
It's good to know that Warren, Cissoko, and Floyd are playing well. Hopefully Turner gets in condition and can be that fourth corner.
Thanks Tim. We all really appreciate it. I can't wait to see the variety on offense this season.
Tim - what affect, if any, does Witty's eligibility have on Denard?
I know it would be a disappointment, but would it negatively affet him further than that (i.e. McGuffie and homesick).
Can someone explain to me the GERG thing. I think I missed whatever it is.
Needing one more corner to step up sounds like the least of our problems. Turner should be able to cover any team's #4 WR right now, right?
Not if he's out of shape and only has 2 weeks to get there. I'm hopeful he will, but he might not be good to go for Western, but probably by Big Ten games.
Wow. RVB is tall.
is he a DT or a DE now? or both?