landing spot. will be interesting to see how he does.
USMNT at Guatemala
TV: BeIn Sport & NBC Universo
World Cup Qualifying
Howard, Cameron, Gonzalez, Orozco, Castillo, Yedlin, Bradley, Bedoya, Dempsey, Wood
John Brooks sent back to Hertha, Besler suffered a concussion yesterday in training and Fabian Johnson not yet recovered from an injury suffered with Gladbach.
Coming off road wins against the Netherlands and Germany, the USMNT kicks off at 5:30pm CT in Nashville at Nissan Stadium (formerly LP Field - naming rights changed last week). Anyone going? Looks like it'll air on Fox Sports 1.
My prediction: 3-1 U.S.
For all the MGoSoccer fans out there, the USA U-20 team takes on Serbia in the World Cup quarterfinals at 12:30 tonight on FS1.
These games have been really late/early in the morning since the tournament is in New Zealand, so i'll happily take a 12:30am kickoff on a Saturday night. Exciting to see the future of US soccer with this squad.
1-1 at the mid-way point. Zardes with the equalizer. Streaming on watchEspn app. Pretty good live stream quality. Work suffering.
Let's do this, America.
I know we have a POSbang thread, but I'd like to start one with a more strategic dialogue.
So what do we know about the USMNT this World Cup? We are prone to making some mistakes, but also seem to be prone to some amazing play.
I think we have more playing in our favor come Thursday than we do playing against us. Portugal will not let Ghana surprise them, as did Germany. If Ghana wins, it is not due to oversight.
I think that Germany will be content to play keep away, as a draw eliminates the other game from becoming a factor at all. Germany knows that even if they lose to us 1-0, they get through as well, due to GD. I hope for a very passive game from both sides.
Our worst case scenario is that we lose and Ghana wins, but we'd still have a solid shot at making the knockout round, even then. If I were a betting man, I'd say that Thursday is not our farewell performance.
- Howard looked a lot shakier this game. I'm a former keeper myself, and he didn't seem to have that killer instinct on when to come off or hold his line. His athleticism saved him a couple of times.
- I really liked Yedlin's cameo, a lot. He looks like a bright spot for our team in Russia.
- Dempsey played very well for what he is being asked.
- Bradley played like himself, which thank God. He had a couple of mediocre balls, but mae some really nice reads as well. Our whole team played some amazing through balls.
- I wonder/worry about the extra day of recovery that Germany gets, and for that matter, Ghana as well. That could be a big factor to play out to our disadvantage.
As a hypothetical, if the US were somehow, someway, able to make it to the finals, I will guarantee that the viewing for that game will match or surpass Super Bowl ratings in the US.
Another hypothetical, to test the chemical makeup of the board: What 2014 Michigan football game(s) would you assign a loss to the good guys, if it meant that the final cross was shanked by Portugal and that the US would be through? Just curious...