further adventures in Jed York being unsuited for his position
IIRC, the ring was posted on eBay previously, and either didn't sell or the original "winnig bidder" sold it for a loss?
Sold for the asking price, $16,449.
[Not seeing anything on site search about this, nor on the mod thread canning the subject, so here goes...]
Sports Illustrated is set to break a major, major story on alleged naughtiness by the Oklahoma State football program this week. The lowlights:
- Paying players
- Phony/nonexistant jobs for players (maybe it's an OSU thing?)
- Academic fraud: systematic outsourcing of player's classwork to others, and adjusting their grades upward
- Campus hostesses providing sex to recruits
There's a few things to note about this that suggest this might be, like, an actual thing and not just a media spectacle
- The timeframe stretches across more than a decade, since the Les Miles days.
- The University (and WVU, who currently employs Joe DeForest, an assistant coach at the center of the allegations) have already started damage control. They're shocked, shocked, that improprieties are going on in here.
- If you're going to flat-out state that the University is paying players (about the most damning allegation possible), you better have dang good evidence.
Now, it's much too early to say which of these allegations will or won't be substantiated, and the NCAA hasn't said a word on the subject. But SI is planning to run a multi-part exposé on the subject, so this might get ugly, at least publicity-wise.
Edit: Many of these violations are alleged to have occured between 2001 and 2007, outside of the NCAA statute of limitations. Howeva, SI insists that DeForest paid players as recently as 2011, which is fair game.
Per ebay, the auction ended and the winning bid was $18,100. The score of The Game is engraved in the ring as well.
Well, um, I'm not sure what to say other than to quote and link this article. Terrelle Pryor details the story of selling his Gold Pants for $3,000, money he says he used to pay his Mom's rent and heat bills.
Whenever I write my book the proof will be in there, the receipt that the money I gave my mother was to pay the electric and heat bill. The truth is going to come out one day when the time is right. I don't think I deserved (being punished) in that way, because of the reason I was doing it. I felt like I was doing God's work in a way, and I was getting driven into the ground.
Strangely, he mentions nothing about tattoos, loaner cars, etc. Some people are just crazy enough to believe their own nonsense.
Anyone know what's become of ESPN's FOI petition to see all the Tatgate-related emails?
Curious minds would like to know.
The Ohio season is finally over. 6-7 finish topped off by loss to a mediocre Florida squad 17-24.
2011 counts the first losing record for Ohio football program since 1988 (John Cooper 1st year) and 1966 (Woody Hayes) before that.
No championship and no bowl next year for Ohio, so only role to play appears to be "spoiler" in 2012.