alternate headline: man does job
Bang me, but be gentle. It's my first time.
[ED: Covered on the front page:
Funny money. OSU announced a huge Nike contract that was a ton more than Michigan in the same way that NFL contracts have a huge headline number but are actually something less remarkable under the hood. The OSU edge is in apparel awarded, which the Buckeyes padded out for the shiny number. The actual details:
- Both schools have a 15-year deal; Michigan has an opt-out after 11.
- Michigan gets 12 million upfront; OSU gets 20.
- OSU gets 3.44 million for the first 11 years and 4.44 for the last four.
- M gets 4.82 million for the first ten years, 5.32 in 11, and 5.82 for the last four.
- Total dough: Michigan, 88.8 million. Ohio State, 75.6 million.
OSU gets more upfront but inflation isn't sufficient to make up the deficit, especially since Michigan has an opt-out four years earlier. So OSU's "biggest ever contract" actually delivers 13 million fewer dollars than Michigan's. But OSU gets more Nike volleyballs so they've got that going for them.
OSU's deal is not better. Those who'd like to argue Hackett was "fleeced" (including the OP) please contact seth for a great deal on a bridge.]
Rumor has it that at least two MgoBloggers won the $1.5 billion dollar Powerball prize. It is not entirely clear which ones, but you have to figure that it might include MgrowOld, Hatter, robf, Putin, SD Mick, Grendel, or even MeanJoe and a few others.
I wonder how they are going to split the $, and what they'll spend it on. Let the speculation begin...
p.s. It goes without saying that if WD won it then Nike will be bought before the stock market closes today.