Bill Self gets a pass by many. Being Lawrence Kansas the local media and much of the school is in his hip pocket and very little is done to dig deep. Yahoo sports is at it again sniffing around KU athletics.
If you are curious here is a TLDR of Bill Self in all of his Francis Underwood of NCAA basketball glory...
Interesting article in USA Today about the 25th anniversary of Loyola Marymount's amazing 1990 team:
I'll never forget the way that team bulldozed us in the NCAAs, 149-115. We were a 3 seed and they were an 11 seed, and we had no idea what hit us.
EDIT: Original title was Michigan certain 9-seed in BTT after Wiscy beats Minny, but I didn't notice Northwestern one game behind us also at 6-11. Derp
Of course, Indiana and Illinois are out of reach.
Michigan will be seeded above Minnesota since
- After the loss to Wisc tonight, Minn can at best tie us
- We beat Minny in the only meeting this yr
To grab the 9th seed from us, NW needs
- to win @Iowa
- for Michigan to lose at home to Rutgers
- for Ohio State to lose at home to Wiscy
Let's go through the tiebreakers
- Results (Mich 1, NW 1; Mich 1, Minn 0; NW 1, Minn 0)
- In case it's a three way tie, Minny drops out here
Records against individual teams in order of standings
- Group tied teams together as single group
- Sudden death, first advantage found wins
- No wins for either Mich/NW vs Wiscy
- No wins for either Mich/NW vs MD
Wins against the four tied 11-6 teams
- MSU (no wins for either)
- Purdue (no wins for either)
- OSU (Mich 1-1, NW 0-1)
Iowa (Mich 0-1, NW 2-0)
- Note both Iowa & OSU
- lose to NW & Wiscy
- this weekend
- by definition of the scenario
Consequence (NW 9th Seed, Mich 10th)
- Group OSU & Iowa together
- Results (Mich 1-2, NW 2-1)
So the likelihood has increased (derp) that we will be the 9th seed in the Big Ten Tournament and will start play on the 2nd day on Thursday, March 12 against either Indiana (if Illinois wins @Purdue & Indiana loses at home vs MSU) or Illinois (the other three combinations of Indiana/Illinois wins/losses).
With its win tonight, Wiscy clinches the Big Ten regular season title and will be seeded first. The winner of the 8/9 game plays the 1-seed on the third day of the tournament in the quarterfinals. Thus, should we win our opening game, we likely will be facing Wisconsin in our second game.
2014-15 Big Ten STANDINGS
|#23 Ohio State||11-6||4||22-8|
Who would you rather face in the opener?
GR III has been waived by Minny per Stein.
I for one would not miss Hitler Hair in the slightest.
The rise and fortunes of Indiana (athletics) is with Indiana basketball. Everybody thinks the guy with the clipboard, the next guy, can be better. But starting over is overrated. You can't be willy-nilly about it.
- Fred Glass, Indiana Hoosiers AD