Hockey pet peeve: "when a teammate tips a puck in on you, which is exactly how my first collegiate goal against happened. Thanks, Copper."
Just saw this picture tweeted out by @umichbaseball on twitter. Great and much needed addition. Hopefullu we see one at Alumni Field as well. I like the style of the venue name on the top of the screens (Yost, Crisler etc.)
It's a slow day at work, slow down on the board, so I figured you guys would appreciate this. ESPN has an article on all of the wildest, weirdest, and wackiest feats of the 2012 regular season. Here are a couple:
• There was a rain delay in a domed stadium (in Milwaukee).• The Pirates hit back-to-back homers that clanked off the same foul pole.• Todd Frazier lost the grip on his bat in mid-swing and still hit a home run -- even though he wasn't holding the bat in his hands at the moment he hit it.• Michael Morse hit a grand slam, trotted three-quarters of the way around the bases, then reversed himself and circled the bases backward after a video review, returned to home plate, pantomimed his home run swing with an invisible bat and ball, and then rounded the bases again.• In 328 of Dunn's always-entertaining trips to home plate, the ball never got around to leaving the batter's box (222 strikeouts, 105 walks, 1 HBP)!• Adam Dunn hit his 30th homer this year before he hit his 30th single! And kids, all we can say is, don't try that at home.Strangest game of the year :Orioles 9, Red Sox 6, in 17 surreal innings at Fenway, back on May 6.
Well, it looks like Dombrowski signed Anibel Sanchez for a 5 year hitch at $80M. I'm very curious to see what happens with Porcello now that Sanchez is wrapped up for the foreseeable future.
I thought Sanchez was (imagine Ernie Harwell voice here) long gone. Looks like more evidence to support the theory that Mike Ilitch is in "win now" mode. I wonder if this is a deal the Tigers will regret at their leisure - Sanchez is below .500 in W/L for his career, although sabremetricians will quickly point out there are better measures of a pitcher's worth than W-L. In any event, Ilitch gets a lot of credit for investing in his club and giving Dombrowski the ability to do deals like this.
A10 is thinking about taking the 7 non-football members of the Big East into their conference. That would leave the Big East with 8 basketball schools. Have to think they'd let Boise St. and SD St. in for basketball as well if that happened. Its strange they didn't let SD St in for basketball from the start considering how good their program is.
2 years $26 million deal. According to MLB Network.
"We're excited about our 2013 schedule," first-year head coach Erik Bakich said. "Our non-conference slate should be very competitive in preparation for Big Ten play. We are fortunate to travel to different parts of the country with trips to California, Florida, South Carolina, and have a tremendous opportunity to play in Citi Field."
- Feb. 15-17: open season with three games at California
- Feb. 24: exhibition against the New York Mets at Port St. Lucie, Fla.
- March 7-10: trip to San Deigo to play four games against four different opponents; this trip and the one to Cal might well pay off on the recruiting trail as Bakich has already gotten one California commitment in the 2014 class
- March 15-16: two games at Coastal Carolina
- March 22: home opener against Western Illinois
- March 26: game against Yale to be played in Citi Field