I did not make this headline up
Michigan's camp starts today and run's to the 23rd. I'm obviously not there, but here's who has told me they will be there at least one of the day. There is going to be a ton of kids at this camp, since it's back to being big and open to everyone.
- RB Juwan Lewis (5'11", 208 lbs) 3 star from Muskegon
- QB Austin Appleby (6'5", 228 lbs) 3 star from Ohio. Hoping to earn an offer.
- OL Steven Elmer (6'6", 297 lbs) 2013 prospect from Midland, MI. Just received his Michigan offer today, they're on campus. Already has Michigan State, Mississippi State, and Wisconsin.
- QB Brian Blackburn (6'5", 197 lbs) from Detroit might be there.
- DT Danny O'Brien (6'2", 293 lbs) 4 star from Flint. This camp could help him and Michigan get back on the same page. He'll be there Monday or Tuesday.
- OL Daron Brown (6'5", 312 lbs) from Detroit. Just received an offer from Akron to go with Buffalo.
- RB Alden Hill (6'2", 220 lbs) 3 star from Ohio. Hoping for a Michigan offer.
- OL David Dawson (6'5", 305 lbs) 2013 kid from Cass Tech. I'd imagine there will be more Cass kids like Kenton Gibbs, who will be there 20th and 21st, coming with him.
- DT Vontrell Williams (6'2", 265 lbs) 3 star from Illinois. Trying to earn an offer. The 21st is when he'll be there.
- Maybe: Michigan commit Anthony Standifer and his 2013 teammate WR Laquon Treadwell.
- QB Robert Gregory (6'3", 181 lbs) 3 star, teammates with Jordan Diamond is supposed to be there.
- DB Cameron Burrows (6'1", 175 lbs) 2013 prospect from Trotwood, Ohio. He isn't sure if he's coming or not yet.
- DE Matt Miller (6'4", 240 lbs) 2013 prospect. He's '11 signee Jack Miller's younger brother. I confirmed with Jack that Matt will be there. He said the coaches are interested in Matt and they're excited to see him at camp.
- RB/FB Wyatt Shallman (6'3", 245 lbs) 2013 instate prospect will probably be up on Monday to hang out. He won't be participating.
This is just a small list of notable people I've confirmed. I'll post them as I hear of more.
The link below is to a report on the Big 33 game that mentions Antonio Poole favorably and notes Keith Heitzman created pressure as a DE and scored a 1 yard TD(?). No mention of Frank Clark, but the header on Scout says he played well. Any more definitive info out there?
For sagging his pants, Deshon Marman was 'escorted' off the plane if you hadnt already heard.
There is a thread behind the paywall on one of the Ohio HS sports sites (jjhuddle.com) that is titled "Maty Mauk headed to Michigan." The last poster on the thread is someone I communicate with that is from one town over Kenton, where Mauk is in school. I have pinged him for more info. Anybody else hearing anything about Mauk? Tom VH?
Scout has him as the #10 QB and 4 stars. Rivals has him as a 3 star.
Georgia wide receiver Jason Croom (6'5", 215 lbs) is fresh off of receiving a Michigan offer just yesterday. The Wolverine staff had great timing because Croom's mom just happened to be in the state of Michigan. She got a chance to check out campus and meet the coaching staff today. Jason wasn't with her, but here's what she had to say.
TOM: You told me that you were visiting with the coaches, was that over the phone or did you go check everything out in person?
MRS. CROOM: I went over to campus and met everyone. We are originally from Detroit, and our older daughter got married up here yesterday so we are here. We just happened to be here when they made the offer. Jason didn't come because he was doing a 7 on 7 tournament. Since we were already up here we decided to check it out. I was able to talk to some of the coaches, we didn't get to meet Brady [Hoke] because he was in a meeting.
TOM: Do you think Jason will make it back up to see everything you just did?
MRS. CROOM: Yes, we will be back up in August for unofficial visit with Jason. We'll be up the last week of July to the first week in August to see Michigan and Michigan State with Jason. He won't be taking official visits probably until December.
TOM: Since you're originally from Detroit does that mean you all are Michigan fans?
MRS. CROOM: Yes, we are Michigan fans. We've only been away from Michigan for six years. Jason isn't as familiar with the program as we are though.
TOM: I know Jason said that he had a top three of Tennessee, Miami, and Mississippi State recently. Is that final, or where is he at?
MRS. CROOM: Those are just the three schools that he hears the most from. Those coaches have taken the time to get to know us as a family, that's all.
TOM: I know this is all early and happening fast, but does Michigan have a chance to get in that group?
MRS. CROOM: From a parent stand point this is home, from an academic stand point it's great, and distance wouldn't matter because he would be surrounded by family. It's convenient. One of the [Michigan] coaches actually grew up in the same neighborhood as me and we didn't know it. We had a good conversation, we knew a lot of the same people. The other coaches are all new to campus so they don't really know us yet.
TOM: It's tough to really gain a comfort level with someone in such short time, but what are you and Jason really looking for out of a program or coach?
MRS. CROOM: With him it's going to be a coach that he can truly relate to. It's someone that is going to deal with him being a direct person, somebody that's open, and can create plays around him. It's going to have to be a coach that's very creative. Most schools, including Michigan, are recruiting him as a Z receiver.
TOM: What other visits have you taken so far?
MRS. CROOM: We are actually on tour this week. Last weekend we visited Mississippi State and Alabama. My husband took him to Georgia, Auburn, Clemson, FSU, Florida, and we just got back from Miami and Tennessee. This won't be a snap decision. We have a lot of SEC schools, but things are starting to branch out so we'll look at everything. We have a spread sheet with pro's and con's of each school. We'll begin to narrow things down and go from there. It's definitely an honor to get a scholarship offer from a high institution like Michigan.
Josh Hemholdt is reporting that Stanford isn't coming to Ann Arbor this weekend. He says he may still make it in sometime this month. Supposedly the reason has nothing to do with Washington, so don't bother speculating that. He just couldn't make it in.... The link is behind a paywall, but for any Rivals subscribers, here it is.