spoiler alert: i linked this
I'm starting a Pick'em tournament through ESPN http://games.espn.go.com/college-football-pickem/en/frontpage, the group name is MGOBLOG password is hoke. The winner at the end of the year gets a case of Arcadia beer!
EDIT: I didn't think about those under 21, so the winner has a choice, the case of beer or a shirt from the mgoblog store!
Just a note: Writing your picks in the comment section is NOT a valid entry. You must enter your picks using the form below or at this link. Feel free to discuss your picks here, but you must submit the form in order to enter the contest.
[ED: Bump. Get your picks in!]
After a great first year of Pick Six on MGoBlog, we’re back by popular demand. Unfortunately, we never had a results post in order to honor the original creators . (The MGoBlog summary will be posted after Blue-Gray Sky releases their results from 2009) This year I will be handling the technical details but we are going to have somebody else write the recaps. If you are interested in the job of writing the weekly summaries send an email to [email protected].
Onto the contest. Here's how it works.
1. We divide the top 25 into 5 groups of 5 based on the preseason AP Poll: 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc. For this year's poll, the groups are:
- A: Southern Cal, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon
- B: Georgia, Florida State, Michigan, South Carolina, Arkansas
- C: West Virginia, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Clemson, Texas
- D: Virginia Tech, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, TCU
- E: Stanford, Kansas State, Florida, Boise State, Louisville
2. Before the season starts you pick one team from each group, plus one unranked team. You're trying to pick the teams you think will finish highest in the final AP poll (after the bowl games).
3. Each week we'll try to update and publish the standings in a spreadsheet so you can track the progress of your teams. You get 25 points for having the #1 team, 24 points for the #2 team, on down to 1 point for the #25 team. Unranked teams get zero points.
4. The winner is the person with the most points (i.e. the highest ranked teams) after the bowl season. The midseason standings are only for entertainment purposes. Only the final AP poll counts.
5. And the grand prize? I will personally give the winner 10 meaningless upvotes. Plus, last year some guy named Brian offered a small prize.
Throughout the season someone will hopefully give regular updates on the progress of the contest in the Diaries.
That's it for the Pick Six: short, sweet and simple. The entry form closes on Thursday August 30 before the first kickoff, so get your picks in now. Good luck!
I've been busy so I haven't been promoting the contest as much this year. So, here's a quick reminder to enter the contest today before football kicks off.
Use the form in the comments below, or read the directions at the original page http://mgoblog.com/diaries/pick-six-2012
As the name would suggest, this thread is for your season record predictions for 2012. Feel free to predict the record for other teams besides Michigan.
Notre Dame 6-6 (or 7-5, I haven't decided yet)
Yeah, I'll drink that Kool-Aid.
Pretty cool graphic, and Michigan ranks near the top. OSU , PSU .... not so good.
Also, listen to the audio... lots of UM talk with Herbstreit.
May require WSJ subscription).
Here we go!
The start of the 2012 football season and with that come a few changes that are in place for better safety of the players. What do you think? Are these changes for better play or a chance to cause controversy?
What jumps out to me on the the helmut rule is what stops the opposing team from intentionally popping a helmut off a playmaker to get him out of the game for a play to disrupt the momentum?
What else do you see?