OK, here's the latest. BTW, when i said Team ... I meant Hackett's team. Hackett has a few folks in the AD's office working through the holidays (including Sat and Sunday), collecting info. and ready to respond with anything that comes up.
1) They do NOT have word yet from Harbaugh's agent if he will come home. They still are expecting word today on serious interest level (see my post from last week for more info.). Again, if Harbaugh wants to entertain serious NFL offers before the Michigan decision then Hackett will look at plan Bs and start initial DIRECT discussions.
2) NO DIRECT discussions have occurred with any plan Bs. Hackett has been clear that NO direct discussions will occur until Harbaugh's decides on if he's going to consider NFL offers.
3) The ceiling for Harbaugh is $53MM ... 48 and 5 (for the buyout) ... Hackett has the authority to move the 53 around any way he would like ... including bonuses for championships, etc. Harbaugh's agent discussed more performance based $ vs. salary because it will provide a more palatable (sp?) story. The example given to me ... $6MM per year, $1MM for academic results, up to $1MM for on the field results .... and possibly 3 year rolling longevity bonuses ... Dumbtonio / Izzo model.
4) They believe that Harbaugh's agent has an understanding with the 49ers on the buyout. The agent is saying that this will help speed up the process after his last game. "Ready to Roll" as soon as the clock hits zero (referring to the last game).
5) Hackett is running the show ... pure executive doing his thing.
6) Tension is fairly high in the room ... it's a noticeable change from last week to this week. Waiting on word today .... is a big deal.
7) I asked him at the end of the discussion, "What do you think?" His response ... "He comes home."