Member for

6 years 6 months
Points
2377.00

Recent Comments

Date Title Body
11/09/2018 - 1:39pm Here here!  +1 to the OP

Here here!  +1 to the OP

Not sure what value most of the other replies have here, except to say what we're all already wanting.

11/09/2018 - 1:37pm I really like this analysis…

I really like this analysis.  +1 to you!

Georgia would be the stiffest competition in that scenario, but I agree with you we should have the edge (especially since we'd have a league title and they wouldn't).

11/09/2018 - 1:21pm Hot take:  Zach Charbonnet…

Hot take:  Zach Charbonnet will win the Heisman trophy while at UM.  Calling it now.

11/09/2018 - 1:15pm Has ANYONE ever gone from…

Has ANYONE ever gone from trouble spot to a danger man in one SEASON?

11/08/2018 - 12:38pm Speaking of this, it just…

Speaking of this, it just occurred to me that if OSU beats MSU this weekend, we could claim The traveling The vs the Buckeyes in a couple weeks! 

How sweet would that part of the revenge tour be?  OSUs arch rival, for the first time, grabs hold of the The traveling The!

11/07/2018 - 9:12pm No team in college football…

No team in college football deserves a bye.  There is too much hand waving with rankings to reward a 1 or 2 seed that much more than the other seeds.

I've always preferred the 8 team playoff format.  5 conference champs.  3 at large, with one of those at large generally geared toward a non-power 5 team (but not required).  Home field advantage for higher seeds until the championship game.  Simple as that.

11/07/2018 - 3:30pm Still not fully fixed until…

Still not fully fixed until the up and down votes are separated out.

If someone got 10 points on a post was it...

10 upvotes and no downvotes?

100 upvotes and 90 downvotes?

Those are two very different (and telling) pieces of metadata about the post!

11/05/2018 - 9:15pm We absolutely root for MSU…

We absolutely root for MSU to beat OSU.

Not only because OSU is the worst, but a guaranteed shot a big ten title happens if MSU beats OSU (assuming we take care of Rutger and IU of course).

I'd rather have a guaranteed shot at hardware than not.

11/01/2018 - 7:00pm This is an interesting…

This is an interesting discussion.  I see both sides, but I'm leaning in the camp of I really don't care if Michigan ever reunites with Webber.  The program has moved on and he's moved on.  Both are doing fine without each other.  Not every separation needs a happy reunion.

11/01/2018 - 1:30pm Question:  When one goes to…

Question:  When one goes to a college game not involving Michigan, do you still wear Michigan gear?  Pick a side and wear their gear (or colors)?  Or just go neutral?

10/31/2018 - 1:10pm We didn't play them last…

We didn't play them last season so the rage subsided.  Next year the rage will be boiling over.

Yeah, that's the reason!

10/29/2018 - 12:49pm To answer the OP's question:…

To answer the OP's last question:  The fetal.

10/29/2018 - 12:34pm Indeed Clemson's SOS is…

Indeed Clemson's SOS is horrible.  If they lose one game (and unfortunately, they don't play anyone to make that look even remotely possible), they should drop out completely.  Hell, I'd have to think about an undefeated Clemson vs. a one loss other major conference winner pretty closely.

10/25/2018 - 12:52pm Focus the shit on beating…

Focus the shit on beating PSU.  With double the time available, double the time prepping for PSU and PSU alone.

Leave nothing to chance.

10/25/2018 - 10:02am (No subject)

dbush.jpg

10/24/2018 - 4:18pm My wife went to Stockbridge…

My wife went to Stockbridge high school (in Stockbridge, MI) and they used the exact Spartan flight song as their fight song.

10/24/2018 - 10:16am For some reason I clicked on…

For some reason I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be about Nick Bosa. 

10/22/2018 - 12:57pm A lot went into both wins…

A lot went into both wins the past two weeks, but in my mind the read option has been the single most effective add to this offense since all the way back to the Denard Days.

We have a bonifide Dual Threat QB!  That makes me happy.

10/10/2018 - 1:07pm If we had just beaten…

If we had just beaten fricken' Iowa.  GAHHHHHH!

10/10/2018 - 1:02pm If this was an away game I'd…

If this was an away game I'd agree with you.  But we beat a top 10 (!) Wisconsin team at home 2 years ago.  This is "just another one of those". 

Beat a highly ranked team on the road... and then we're talking.

10/10/2018 - 11:58am No.

The most important game…

No.

The most important game of the Harbaugh era up to this point was 2016 Ohio State. 

The most important game of the future is 2018 Ohio State.

The most important game of the season so far is, well, yes... 2018 Wisconsin.

10/02/2018 - 12:33pm This evidence is damning. …

This evidence is damning.  There is no reason other than refs hating Harbaugh/Michigan that this should be the case after 3 years of sample size.

09/24/2018 - 12:28pm In before the predictable…

In before the predictable and stupid response of: "Let's focus on NW first." (as if our focus matters).

Before the season started I pegged Wisky and MSU as our only 2 loses on the season.  Now that we've lost to ND, I actually see us winning the Wisky game.  Strange logic, I know.  Despite them winning at Iowa, they did lose to BYU and I think UM is starting to gel.  Evidence for this is the much easier time UM had against the soft portion of the schedule relative to last year's frustrating early wins.

09/20/2018 - 1:43pm TLJ was horrible.  Just go…

TLJ was horrible.  Just go to YouTube and look up "what's wrong with TLJ" and the most popular video will probably explain.  I had the same thoughts as said video before even watching it.

But if you enjoyed them, more power to you.  To me, there is a difference between "this is an enjoyable couple hours of action" vs. "this movie makes no freaking sense in the context of the Star Wars franchise"

Original trilogy and Rogue One are great.  All others?  Blah.

 

09/20/2018 - 1:40pm There is an entire 2 part…

There is an entire 2 part episode of Star Trek: Voyager titled after this story.

09/18/2018 - 5:14pm Wow, this might be a new low…

Wow, this might be a new low for the board.  Not talking about the OP.  That's actually a fine and relevant question.  I'm talking about 90% of the responses in this thread.  I mean jesus, the guy is just getting an (on-topic) convo going, not speculating doom and gloom this season or trying to "suck the joy" out of anything.  What's the point about asking this question at this time?  Well, the same as asking any question any time.  This is a message board to discuss things.

So, aside from addressing the a-hole responses, I personally don't think we have any shot at holding onto Shea for 2 years.  Even if he were to get injured (god forbid) or have a mediocre season, I still think he's going to declare.  The guy transferred to Michigan to play and get into the pros.  I don't think, and this is just my opinion, he's fully on the "Team Michigan" bus.  He signed with 'Ole Miss and is coming here toward the end of his college career to just get playing time exposure and get taught by Harbaugh.  I don't think any loyalty to Michigan will play a factor. 

09/12/2018 - 9:42pm I graduated from Grand Blanc…

I graduated from Grand Blanc High School.  Class of '99!  Go Bobcats!

09/07/2018 - 1:13pm I'm no expert of course. …

I'm no expert of course.  But I would think spreading the field and letting your athletic playmakers "make plays" with only a couple blocks would be better than condensed manball with O-linemen rubbing shoulders.  Especially at the college level.  I guess I'm just a solid advocate for the spread offense.

09/07/2018 - 12:07pm Very much appreciate this. …

Very much appreciate this.  Thanks again!

Two observations:

1 - On play 6, Patterson should've faked the pitch. 

2 - Our offense, for the umpteenth year in a row, relies too much on everybody doing their job perfectly to succeed.  We need to run an offense where only 3 or 4 guys need to "get it right" for the play to succeed.  That's what it feels like, anyway.

09/04/2018 - 3:27pm "Michigan won't be a great…

"Michigan won't be a great shooting team this year..."

That right there tells me expectations for basketball should be a 2nd round exit at best.  Le sigh.

 

... but see, this is why rooting for Michigan basketball is more fun than rooting for Michigan football.  With basketball, there are no "we're the #1 program of all time" expectations to live up to.  You get the occasional Big Ten title, and the occasional Final Four appearance, but seasons where you don't achieve that are ok no big deal.  At least Beilein gives us paydirt every couple seasons or so.

09/03/2018 - 2:47pm I think the reason it's…

I think the reason it's hardest to be a Michigan fan is because we are the "winningest program of all time" (TM).  Take that away, and my personal emotional investment into each and every game wouldn't nearly be so high.  Like a weight lifted off one's shoulders, I would probably enjoy Michigan football more.

Let me give a few different takes than the O-line one that's been discussed already.  I'm not a football X's and O's junkie by any means, so these are just layman opinions...

> Harbaugh should absolutely stay until he's ready to retire.  He's not the best coach in America.  He's not even the right coach for Michigan IMO.  But he's the best fit for what Michigan wants to be.

> I'll get right to it:  I believe the best coach for Michigan would be one that runs a full spread offense like Ohio State's.  Rich Rod had the right idea, but was just the wrong person with an unfortunate defense.  Pair someone with RR's offensive philosophy with Don Brown's defenses and now you're cooking.

> Harbaugh just seems to me like someone who's stuck playing 1980s football.  The game has evolved since that time but Michigan just hasn't evolved with it.  (Or when they tried, with RR, they just get unlucky with defense, abandoned it, and reverted back to Neanderthal Ball.)  Heck, even the likes of Alabama and Notre Dame have incorporated major spread components into their offenses.  Michigan just dabbles with pseudo-mobile QBs and tries to win championships with outdated power formations - without the talent gap it enjoyed in the 80s and 90s no less.

> Spread offenses go for chunks of yards or TDs on every play.  When they fail, the next play tries the same.  Power offenses (at least the variety Michigan seems to employ) seem to rely on getting 4 yards a play to move the chains.  So when you miss one, the whole machine breaks down and you're forced to punt.  This goes along with Brian's notion of "very large percentages" he mentioned last week.  Rely on 80% success enough times, and it's just doomed to failure unless you happen to get lucky.

> Ending on a lighter note, I find it ironic that a team with the motto "The Team. The Team. The Team." is one of the few in college football that wear helmet stickers to highlight individual accomplishments.  I'd rather the clean look of the best helmet in college football.  :-)

TL/DR - I think Michigan's want to be a power football team has been the single biggest problem for the larger part of the past 10 years.  We need to evolve to the spread n' shred.  Also, get rid of helmet stickers.

 

08/31/2018 - 1:57pm As long as a) we don't have…

As long as a) we don't have a critical injury and b) the refs don't give us a screw over, I think we'll do fine and win this game 23-17.  I truly think our position groups are better than theirs for every position on the field save OL and Punter.  Being better at QB, RB, WR, TE, DL, LB, CB, S, and K should equate to a win.

Heck, if both of the above are true and we lose, I'd still be fine.  I just don't want it to come down to a freak play injury or ref screw job.

08/30/2018 - 9:51am All I see are the nice legs…

All I see are the nice legs on the left.

08/28/2018 - 2:36pm Was talking with fellow M…

Was talking with fellow M fans down here in the South and we're all pretty even keeled.  We don't always predict Michigan will win a game.

That said, just about all of us felt that we're not only going to beat Notre Dame, we're going to crush them.

It's hard for me to disagree.  I mean, it just seems to me we have the better team at every position except maybe OL and Punter.  I'm trying to not get too excited.... but it's not working.

08/28/2018 - 9:03am I'll admit the player I was…

I'll admit the player I was most excited to see this season was Tarik Black.

So of course this would happen.

Glad Nico is there to fill in, but I fear the physiological effect Tarik's injury will have on the coach's playcalling.  I don't want them subconsciously turtling up the offense because they fear losing Nico or Donovan to injury too.

 

08/24/2018 - 1:24pm OMG Exactly!

This is spot…

OMG Exactly!

This is spot on. 

... And it pisses me off.

08/23/2018 - 10:38am Since we're putting out…

Since we're putting out predictions again....

I predict the only two games we lose this season are Wisconsin and MSU. 

08/20/2018 - 12:43pm From 1997 Michigan football…

From 1997 Michigan football wikipedia page...

(Bolded emphasis mine.)

Going into the 1997 season, the Wolverines were ranked No. 17 in the pre-season Coaches' Poll and had experienced four consecutive four-loss seasons for the first time since the 19341937 Michigan Wolverines football teams.[1] Michigan had not won a national championship in nearly 50 years and had not played in a Rose Bowl Game since the 1992 season. The 1997 Michigan team was the first since the 1969 team to have no Rose Bowl veterans.[2][3] In early September 1997, The Columbus Dispatch wrote off Michigan, noting that "the longtime beast of the Big Ten ... has lost much of its aura" and predicting that Michigan's 1997 schedule "doesn't create a feeling that the pendulum is about to swing back."[4]

Let's doooooooo this!!!

08/20/2018 - 12:30pm I actually think Michigan…

I actually think Michigan should be #6.

I look at each of those teams and think, right now, based on the limited info on each team, who do I think would win on a neutral field?

I believe Michigan would lose to all the teams ranked 1-5 and beat the teams 6 and below.

(Polls should never be predictive of season performance or strength of schedule.  They should just be snapshot on perceived team strength, IMO).

 

08/20/2018 - 12:27pm I think the divisions are…

I think the divisions are fine.

What needs balancing is the out of division schedules.

08/10/2018 - 9:01am Love the graph. I'm glad… Love the graph. I'm glad you separated out each conference into its divisions in this analysis. Very interesting. Thanks!
08/02/2018 - 1:17pm Then why shouldn't Michael…

Then why shouldn't Michael Drake be fired?

08/02/2018 - 1:16pm I dunno man.  I get why we…

I dunno man.  I get why we're ranked here (based on our performance last year).  But aside from Bama and OSU, I think we have the most talented team in the country.  Yes, our O-line is an injury away from being essentially what it was last year... not good.  But we have to be given benefit of the doubt with our QB situation now, right?  I'm not saying we should be number 3.  But top 10 at least?

Also, when I was looking at rationales for why some folks ranked us in the teens, I was upset to learn "their schedule is tough" as one of the reasons.  Having a tough schedule should have no bearing on where you think a team should be ranked in the preseason.  The ranking should be how strong you think a team is, not a prediction where they will end up.

08/02/2018 - 12:38pm I'm not sure Gene Smith…

I'm not sure Gene Smith should be fired.  I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm just not sure yet.

Reason is this:  How far up the accountability chain does should something like this reasonably go?  You have:

Level 1 - The perpetrator himself

Level 2 - His boss (Urban Meyer)

Level 3 - The next boss (Gene Smith)

Level 4 - The next boss (Michael Drake - OSU president)

Level 5 - The next boss (board of regents?)

Level 6 - ???

I mean, by the same argument that Gene Smith should be fired, you could say Michael Drake should be fired for hiring someone like Gene Smith who would hire someone like Urban Meyer.  And so on up the levels.

Again, I'm just not sure.  I'm curious on folks' perspectives on this.

 

 

08/01/2018 - 4:50pm -1 to you for assuming his…

-1 to you for assuming his excitement was as you say instead of at the prospect that assholes are finally getting their just deserts.

I dislike moral police... especially when the original statement is ambiguous.

07/30/2018 - 9:32pm I don't recall this July…

I don't recall this July being any slower than July's in year's past.

07/29/2018 - 8:12pm Plz put "Ole Miss..." in…

Plz put "Ole Miss..." in your title.

My heart got all warm and fuzzy inside.  And then...

07/19/2018 - 12:24pm One downvote to the first…

One downvote to the first person that responds, "Going to the gym/working out".  That's not something you do to "stay busy".  That's just a look-at-me-I'm-awesome response.  #grouchymood

07/16/2018 - 1:37pm When I lived in South Quad…

When I lived in South Quad for 4 years (1999 - 2003) the answer was Chicken Broccoli Bake.  Do they still make that in the dorms today?

07/02/2018 - 2:51pm Huntsville, Alabama

PROS

Huntsville, Alabama

PROS

  • Nice weather in the Spring, Fall, and Winter
  • Driving distance to the Gulf of Mexico
  • Huntsville is a rapidly growing tech city with folks from all other the country
  • College football is a year round obsession

CONS

  • Summers get ridiculous (although, like in Michigan when you adapt to cold, here you adapt to heat)
  • Hearing and seeing "Roll Tide!" All.  The.  Time.  (When I first moved here in 2005 I pitied the Crimson Tide for not winning anything in decades.  I felt so bad I cheered for them.  Now their fans are so smug its insufferable.)