Would you be in favor of M Football playing a game @ Comerica Park?

Submitted by Wolverine Devotee on September 15th, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I was just thinking about this the other day when I was watching illinois vs northwestern at Wrigley. Would you be in favor of Michigan playing a game at Comerica Park in the future? And if so, who would you want them to face?

Comments

DutchWolverine

September 15th, 2011 at 8:03 PM ^

No way.  That is a gimmicky thing to do for programs that need to drum up more hype.  That would be an MSU thing to do.  We don't need extra hype for our program.  Besides, why would we pass up 110,000 tickets sold at the Big House in exchange for 40,000 tickets at Comerica.  Silly idea.

BLUE HIKER

September 15th, 2011 at 8:04 PM ^

with your mother-in-law.  99% of the population would be upset with the thought of it.  The remaining 1% who might actually go through with the idea (after enough alcohol), would wake up in the morning asking theirselves "What in the Hell is wrong with me?"

 

 

.

jethro34

September 15th, 2011 at 8:43 PM ^

Not a chance.  UM draws 115,000.  There's no need for a novelty game that gets 1/3 of that plus potential safety issues for the players.  Worst. Idea. Ever.

m1817

September 15th, 2011 at 10:31 PM ^

Moving the UConn game may be more likely than you think.  Moving the game would give UConn more revenue and U-M more exposure than playing at Storrs in a 40K seat stadium.

I remember reading that there is a buyout clause in the U-M / UConn contract.  The revenue from additional home game for U-M would more than pay for the buyout.  Dave Brandon could use that as leverage to "encourage" UConn to move the game to Yankee Stadium or the Meadowlands to their mutual benefit.

Sir Guy

September 15th, 2011 at 9:13 PM ^

Sorry, the Big House is just too awesome.  It would have to be something like an Aircraft Carrier to get me to want to watch a game anywhere but the Big House.  Shoot, I even want hockey to play more games there!

StephenRKass

September 15th, 2011 at 10:03 PM ^

Well, under certain conditions

1)  Guaranteed gate of $10 million to Michigan.

2)  Counted as an away game for Michigan, so we play eight games in Ann Arbor, one at Ford Field, and three elsewhere.

3)  Better yet, a "home and away" in Ann Arbor and Detroit with Alabama or Florida or USC, or MSU or ND.

However, since I don't see any of these conditions ever being agreed to, no, I would never want a game at Ford Field.

MichiganPoloShirt

September 15th, 2011 at 10:13 PM ^

Hell Nawl not a good idea that area of downtown is not equipped for madness that would ensure crowd would ne too big traffic would be a nightmare and comerica just seems too small to host a college team with the following Michigan has it would be like the Superbowl depending on who the opponent would be. Dam I love Michigan GO BLUE

Zone Left

September 15th, 2011 at 10:44 PM ^

If Indiana sells a home game to play at Comerica like they sort of did against Penn St, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, Dave Brandon thinks playing good teams out of conference is a bad idea. This is much, much worse.

TruBluMich

September 16th, 2011 at 12:16 AM ^

Now you find a way to raise Tiger Stadium from the rubble, and then you may just have a good idea....  Only other stadium, other than the Big House where I got goosbumps when I walked in and saw the field.  But even with that scenario, it is still a bad idea to hold a Michigan home game at a Baseball field.

ClearEyesFullHart

September 16th, 2011 at 9:03 AM ^

It would be a fun venue for a basketball game, if Michigan could bring in a Kentucky or maybe Louisville. That would be worth the trip into Detroit, and would obviously be more likely to sell out than the Big House. I'm not sure how much that would help Detroit recruiting(if at all) but I dont think it could hurt. It would be pretty cool to play a non-conference game against state there in a year the big ten only gives us 1. Not sure if that is still possible, but it would be cool.

Look Up_See Blue

September 16th, 2011 at 10:19 AM ^

I wouldn't want them to play at Comerica.  There's no way Dave Brandon would sacrifice a home game and all those dollars for a neutral site game in Detroit.  It sounds cool but doesn't make much financial sense.  If for some reason they did play such a game it would only make sense to play sparty there.

MDave

September 16th, 2011 at 10:43 AM ^

Personally, I vote for a neutral site night game vs. OSU (on OSU's home year of course) at the Indianapolis Speedway.  They already have 250,000 seats.  And then they can add as needed.