Super early, but we know Alabama / Clemson / Oklahoma will be back in the CFB playoff mix in 2019. Meh. Yawn.
More fun to project those "sleeper" programs that might surprise in 2019 (like Northwestern did, Purdue did), or at least cause some chaos/upsets. Based on my view of 2018 and the Big Ten in particular, here are my picks.
What say you?
1. Big Ten East: would watch out for Indiana in the East. Sounds crazy, but don't fall asleep - they have a QB and a RB (Stevie Scott) and host OSU early (week 3) and host NW and then host Michigan. Have played Michigan, OSU and MSU tough in 2018. I see them at 8-4 or 7-5 with a home upset of one of the better B10 East programs.
2. Big Ten West: Nebraska. Definitely see them improving year 2 of Scott Frost. Hosting OSU, NW and Wisconsin. Fan base is starved for a winner. See them improving to 8-4 and with the right bounces, even better and possible contention for Big Ten West.
3. ACC: See Boston College doing better than expected again. Bring back QB, RB (Dillon) and should be solid on defense again. 7-5 this year, faded down the stretch.
4. ACC: UVA. Can see the Cavaliers getting even better in year 3 of Mendenhall. Can they beat Va Tech? You think UM vs OSU is on an epic losing streak, UVA hasn't beaten Va Tech in about 20 seasons.
5. PAC 12: Arizona State. Herm Edwards wasn't a complete disaster like some predicted. Week 2 at Sparty. Think they could surprise some people, be even better than this year.