I waste way too much time on Michigan athletics. Here are some things I felt like summarizing / predicting based on known information from the B10 meetings (and cryptic TomVH / Rivals mods posts):
On this season:
1) Stonum will play again for the Maize and Blue if he satisfies Coach Hoke's requirements. Word is that keeping Stonum on the team was a battle between Coach Hoke (keep him) and Dave Brandon (let him go), and Coach Hoke has won. I rationalize this because of all the players saying, "It's up to Coach Hoke" as to what happens with Stonum.
2) There are four true freshmen competing for significant playing time at two positions: running back and nickel back. Not to say there won't be another freshman who steps up and sees the field, but I think it's pretty safe to say the most likely are Rawls, Hayes, Countess, and Brown. I think Rawls and Countess could be household names among Michigan fans by seasons' end. Would love to see Rawls as primary back and Hayes as a third down option for the next four years (wait, didn't we say the same thing about our incoming RBs in 2008?).
3) Expect more than just one player to step up this year and become a difference maker. Glowing reports from coaches and players on Will Campbell's progress. Reportedly he is down from 340 lbs (!!!!), close to 320. If he can keep the weight off and play "every down", he will be a key to our success this season. On the offensive side of the ball, if Rawls/Hayes can't contribute then someone has to step up (don't they?). On the WR side, word is that Hemingway has lost weight and is primed for a monster year. Both Robinsons and Drew (what's the) Dileo have looked great in 7on7's and will push for serious playing time.
On this weekend's BBQ:
1) Do not be surprised if we get 1-3 commitments from Sunday's affair - all of which will be high profile names and one of which would be in the 2013 class. The Pipkins information is obvious. I am not going to shed any new light on that. There is a "chance". But given cryptic messages from our TomVH and others at paysites, it seems that a certain RB/S who is very highly regarded for the 2013 class could be ready to announce this weekend.
On the basketball team:
1) We have a legit shot at a top 5 2012 recruit, Mitch McGary. Whether we're in his top 5 or his top 3, it is impressive to be listed among the UKs, Dukes, and UNCs of the world.
2) Without McGary we still have a top 10 2012 class. GR III is primed to be a top 25 recruit in the final rankings and Stauskas could move up into the top 75 or even the top 50.
3) With the results, the recruiting, and the renovations, Beilein has this team heading in the right direction. And that's a total understatement. With him at the helm, we should have expectations of making the tournament every year, and finishing in the top 25.
Anyway, some of this is probably old hat to some of you. Figred it would be worth mentioning though for the majority of the readers. I am not Ace Williams, and I approve this message. So, what do you think?