Former Daily writer Michael Florek contributed a great piece on the start of The Wave at Michigan. I have some extra space in that article to add a sidebar, and thought to collect some Wave Protocols--you know, the rules of the Wave and the different types of waves that roll around the Big House. Since every stadium does the wave I thought it would be nice to highlight some of the special things about ours.
Please add and correct me:
Protocols (to get us started):
- The wave is initiated in the student section.
- Students at the bottom of the section turn around and wave, and when all the students are waving, they turn in the direction the wave shall go (it always begins counter-clockwise).
- The students in the front rows then initiate it.
- The cheerleaders do not take part.
- Normal wave
- Speed wave (students wave their arms up to prep the stadium as the last wave is about to arrive)
- Super-slow wave (students wave their arms down to prep the stadium as the last wave is arriving)
- Reverse wave (students will point back the way the wave is coming from
- Double wave (students will poitn both ways)