1012 is in the news today as they look forward to possibly creating a BTN-like network.
It strikes me that they have a natural three-division alignment:
- Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State
- California, UCLA, USC, Stanford
- Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado
Surely there is some way to make this work. They already have a nine-game conference schedule in place, so it seems simple -- you play three games in each division each year and you don't play a championship game. There might even be some fair way to use the divisions in a tie-break formula, I'm not sure.
Note: Although I favor two divisions and a championship game for the Big Ten, the above could also work for us (although it would not be as geographically elegant), precisely because there would be no championship game. So it wouldn't really matter if one division is far weaker than the other two:
- Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State
- Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue
- Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska