OT: Musberger

Submitted by Engin77 on November 23rd, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Was anyone else watching Oregon ( LIVE !) at Arizona? First half, after a nice tackle by the 'zona MLB, Musberger says "That's the young man the coaches call Vuna, ... because that's his first name." Herbie was speechless. see Vuna Tuihalamaka

It was so very strange.

Comments

Sgt. Wolverine

November 23rd, 2009 at 1:58 PM ^

Brent isn't there to add to the game or the audience's understanding of it; he's there for two purposes:

1)to use players' nicknames a lot (BIG KAT!) to sound like he knows them well and,
2)to make 90% of the plays sound far more dramatic than they are and to make the other 10% sound comical because he goes over the top to exceed his usual level of vocal drama.

pjmasi

November 23rd, 2009 at 1:36 PM ^

Did he ever make this leap? I know that towards the end of his career you could catch him making up the play - what you saw live was not the same as what he just said (of course, there's some wiggle room in radio for things like that, as long as you get the result right).

For the most part, though, I'd say he never became a caricature.

Sgt. Wolverine

November 23rd, 2009 at 1:29 PM ^

That threw me off as well. I couldn't tell if he was trying to be funny or if he thought Vuna was a nickname and had to try to make a quick save. Either way it didn't work out well.

Undefeated dre…

November 23rd, 2009 at 2:03 PM ^

We caught that on our home viewing and cracked up immediately. Then we started on the jokes, e.g., "This is my dog, we call him Fido, because that's his name."

That said, I love me some Brent Musburger. For me he has become the new Keith Jackson. I don't expect him to nail everything, but his mere presence is enough to kick a game up a notch.

And yes, I know he can be obnoxious. And overly dramatic. But my man got caught for an open container in the passenger seat in Lincoln, and for that he has my eternal admiration.

jfox

November 23rd, 2009 at 2:38 PM ^

It sounds dumb the way it was said - however don't most coaches call their players by their last name. If so, in this case it would be much easier to call him Vuna - his first name than his very difficult to pronounce last name. Making it not that bad of a comment in theory.

A side note - I used to hate Musberger's announcing. He was such an MSU homer, and always had something bad to say about Michigan. In the last 10 years that has changed. He has become more like Mr. Jackson in that you almost feel he is a fan of each team that he announces games of.

Mich95

November 23rd, 2009 at 2:49 PM ^

Later in the game, he was talking about tOSU - M game. He started off fine, calling OSU's unis ugly. But then Herbie said something about how it was good for OSU to beat us, and Musberger followed up with, "Well, be careful, it's only Michigan." I turned him off right then.