I have a hunch that Brian Kelly is just playing with the Irish about their open HC position. A few reasons:
1. Note the wording of his tweet:
"Just informed our team that Notre Dame has contacted me and I will listen to what they have to say."
Gives him room to say later that he wasn't really interested, and that his heart is really with the Bearcats. Great motivation for his team's Sugar Bowl practices.
2. With Clausen and Tate leaving, ND is looking at 2-3 years of rebuilding. Again.
3. Kelly can see what the ND HC position has been recently: a ticket to eventual obscurity. Their non-aligned status doesn't fit in the BCS era.
4. He knows he has a good QB following Tony Pike. Cinci figures to challenge for the Big East title again next year and another possible BCS berth.
5. He has a chance to beat the Chosen One (Tebow) and the Arrogant Asshole (Meyer) in the Sugar Bowl. Why would you want to leave when you have the chance to do that? Even if he comes up short, it's a great chance to be on the big stage and try to pick off the reigning national champion.
6. Kelly will likely have a choice for a better position next year.
Bottom line, I think he wants to be first in line for the interview, and I bet before the week is out he will tell them "no thanks." It could happen as soon as tomorrow.
That will be great for two reasons:
1. Michigan won't have to face a Brian Kelly coached team each year.
2. It will absolutely crush the Irish faithful. Kelly says no, Stoops and Harbaugh are out, and Gruden has a great gig for now. They will scramble, and have to go for a Butch Davis or a real Hail Mary, such as Randy Edsall.
Notre Dame searching for a Head Coach is great to watch: they are a desperate buyer and they don't know it.