As you can tell from other posts on this board, we're currently a 3 seed in the bracket matrix. That's likely as high as we can go. Although we'd like to be in Detroit, we'd have to be a 2 seed to get there, but that seems unlikely because the teams in front of us would have to lose, but such loses likely would be to teams currently behind us, making us unlikely to advance. In my view, the goal is to preserve a 3 seed. The other current 3 seeds are MSU (no further games), and Tennesee and Auburn (SEC tournament upcoming). We also have to be careful of being caught from behind by Texas Tech, Witchita St., West Virginia, Gonzaga, Clemson and potentially Florida or Kentucky. With that in mind:
- WCC - root against Gonzaga;
- SEC - we don't want Florida or Kentucky to get on a roll and pass us, and since only one team can win the SEC championiship, that means that either Tennesee or Auburn has the potential to fall back. It appears to me the best case scenario is Auburn winning the SEC, with Tennesee losing to LSU, which would boost our NCSOS. TL;DR on the SEC - root for Auburn and LSU, and against Florida, Kentucky and Tennesee
- ACC - it's unlikely we can catch UNC or Duke, but UNC can boost our NCSOS, so root for them. Clemson could catch us from behind if they win the championship because that would mean wins over Virginia, and either Duke, UNC or Miami. TL;DR - root for Virginia and UNC, and against Clemson.
- Big 12 - if Kansas wins, we can't catch it, and Kansas winning means it beat either WVU or Texas Tech. We probably can't catch Kansas even if they lose, but if they lose, we want them to lose to Texas. TL;DR - root for Texas to beat Kansas, but if not for Kansas to win it all, WVU and Texas Tech to lose.
- Pac 12 - Arizona could pass us by winning it all. UCLA is a bubble team that we beat. A Stanford win might pull Penn St. to top 75 RPI and help us. TL; DR - root against Arizona, for UCLA (but Stanford in the first round).
- American - Cincinnati could lose thereby opening up a spot for us on the 2 line, but if it does, that likely means it was beat by Witchita State, which then, having beaten Houston and Cincinnati, could catch us from behind. TL;DR - root for Cincinnati to beat Houston.
It's likely that at least a few of these are wrong, but hey, at least it gets a conversation going.