I know only about 10% of readers will even care about this, but it is Michigan lax related regardless.
The NCAA has proposed rules changes for the upcoming 2013, the rules will go to the Playing Rules Oversight Panel in September. Here is a link to the article from laxpower.http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=30895
The highlights are:
1) The addition of a shot clock after the stall warning has been put into effect. A shot is only considered if it hits the goalie, hits the post, or goes in, obviously.
2) A few changes to stick checks, nothing unexpected really.
3) Restarts are going to much quicker; play will start as long as a player is at least 5 yards from the player with the ball. There will no longer be a "grace period" to allow the defender to gain the position.
4) Numerous changes to face-offs in general. The major ones are after 2 pre-whistle violations in one half teams will serve a 30-second technical foul, a player no longer has to leave the field if they commit a violation on the face-off and 4 players must stay back on defense during a face-off and 3 on offense.
5) There is talk of moving players on the face-off from the current 4" to 12".
6) Subs will only occur on the fly, no more horn. Again, to speed up the game.
For the most part I like the proposed rule changes. The majority will make the game more entertaining for TV, faster paced and more emphasis on scoring with the shot clock. The one rule that I hate is moving the face-off guys from the current 4" to 12", I think this will only lead to guys diving down head and neck first to get lower and more crashing together of heads. In a time in sports when we are trying to prevent concussions this rule change seems to be moving in the opposite direction.