Michigan swept Minnesota in Minneapolis in hockey this weekend. If it seems like it has been a while since they have done that, that's because it has been.
Michigan picks up monumental sweep at No. 9 Minnesota, sweeping in Minneapolis for the first time since 1977 and returning to the NCAA Tournament conversation.— Zach Shaw (@_ZachShaw) January 14, 2018
Story: https://t.co/QRRJaG5KmC pic.twitter.com/dOUc60POKy
Michigan and Minnesota have been in separate conferences for much of this time and played single games instead of series, but it remains a remarkable stat. Consider, In 1977:
- The prototype space shuttle Enterprise made its only gliding flights; the first orbit of a space shuttle was four years away.
- Former president Barack Obama was in high school in Hawaii. Former president George W Bush married his wife Laura, and current president Donald Trump married his first wife, Ivana.
- A loaf of bread cost 32 cents.
- The Chevrolet Impala/Caprice overtook the Oldsmobile Cutlass to become the nation's top-selling car.
- Apple Computer introduced the Apple II.
- Of the top 13 companies in the Fortune 500, 10 were oil companies or American automobile manufacturers. IBM, at number 8, was the top tech company.
- The Dow started the year at 1004.65 and finished at 831.17.
- Red Berenson played 80 games for the St. Louis Blues and scored 38 points.
Most of us weren't born yet. It was a looooong time ago.