Thought I would start a chain about what our wish list would be for the basketball team next year. This year was a bigger roller coaster than I can remember for a long time. I know everyone is concerned about recruiting and overall upside, but here is a start:
- Wagner needs to put on 20 pounds of muscle and start to cut out some of those bonehead freshman mistakes that limited his minutes.
- Start to build the offense more around Rahk. If anyone is going to play hero ball, it needs to be him, not Irvin. I want Irvin to be the role player and spark he's best suited for, not the over-dribbling shot-chucker he is sometimes tempted to be.
- I'd like Xavier Simpson to come in right away and be good enough to deserve 20 minutes per game. Walton can't play 36mpg next year and he needs to be able to play off the ball and return to that corner shooter role that he was so good at earlier in his career.
I want to see the front-court start to sort itself out. We will have a whopping SEVEN players that are exclusively front court players. That's too many for a team that plays about 1.5 of them at any time. Chances are that Teske and/or Davis will redshirt. It is getting hard to justify two roster spots for PF like Wilson/Chatman that can't get off the bench. I guess what I'm saying is that if any of these 7 players express an interest in transferring.....maybe you don't discourage them unless it is Wagner.
- Then you figure out if Wilson or Chatman can improve enough to justify playing 10-15mpg against big teams.
- I think you also spend some time trying to figure out if Donnal/Wagner have any chance of playing the PF spot against big teams. I doubt it, but worth considering.
- Robinson has a chance to be a real star if he broadens his game more. He shot 45% despite slumping late in the year. How does he generate more offense? How do they get him open?
Walton & Irvin are great role players, but not alpha dogs. They hit their ceiling and actually regressed badly in the case of Irvin's shooting. Someone needs to step up as the leader and personality of this team. I see three candidates - Rahk, Robinson, or Wagner.