A recent (yesterday or the day before?) post noted the deafening lack of offseason football chatter. It even seemed to the poster that the Board has avoided talking about football and has kept to posting on other more light-hearted—or flatly benign—subjects.
The reason is probably superstition. No one wants to say/ask what many MGoBoarders are thinking. And although not superstitious myself, I am a little stitious, to quote Michael Scott, so I won’t say/ask it either. But...We have all been watching, and what we’ve seen has led simultaneously to Notre Dame-like levels of expectation and Kansas-like levels of silence:
1. Drevno and his lawyer-speak convolution of blocking schemes hit the bricks, and the O-line Whisperer was brought in.
2. Any QB that could be described as a lumbering gulumpus is gone, and more athletic QBs, including a highly-touted SEC gunslinger, moved in.
3. The “strength” coach who got ahold of, and apparently took seriously, a copy of the fake schedule that included opponents like C.E. Williams Middle School, Little Sisters of the Blind Convent, Maizen’s Fortnite crew, and Rutgers, was fired. Some guy from Game of Thrones replaced him.
4. Don Brown is still down to clown. And the D is reloaded.
5. And Jimmy. The coach who, at first, seemed just happy to be home, climbing trees, playing frisbee, sleeping over, starring in commercials, trolling D-bag coaches deep in D-bag territory, playing around on Twitter, has been different. He does not any longer seem happy just be home. He is quieter, he is calmer... He even put the meritocracy to the test by dismissing a close friend who has been at his side for quite some time. He seems determined and poised to accomplish what most of us expected in Jabrill’s 3rd year.
Yes, there is radio silence, because no one wants to jinx anything. So I’ll just quote Grant Newsome’s tweet from New Year’s day:
“Everyone take your shots at us now. We deserve it. But I promise this time next year you won’t be doing the same. Believe that.”
Less than 5 weeks...Hail.