Dream job alert, see below announcement. The position is part of Dave Ablauf's Athletic Media Relations team.
Best of luck to those inclined to apply.
University of Michigan
Athletic Communications Coordinator for Football
Supervisor Name: Dave Ablauf, Associate Athletic Director/Public & Media Relations
Full Time or Part Time: Full-Time
Exempt or Non-Exempt: Exempt
The Athletic Communications Coordinator serves as the communications specialist for the football program and works directly with the U-M administrators, coaches, and student-athletes. This person promotes and maintains a revenue producing sports program and the U-M athletic department brand to a wide variety of external media and stakeholders.
This individual has a range of responsibilities that includes writing, editing, designing, archiving, event management, facilitating interview requests and suggests story ideas to various media outlets about the football program. He/she is also responsible for working with all related departments to ensure that the communications department is providing an integrated message with the other department’s initiatives.
1. Candidate will coordinate communication efforts for the University of Michigan Football Program
2. Serve as the primary media contact for football and is the liaison between the coaches, student-athletes, administrators and external constituents.
3. Write and edit weekly game note packets, releases and advisories.
4. Event management on game days.
5. Facilitate interview requests.
6. Work with Michigan Sports Television, the Big Ten Network and TV/radio production crew throughout the week and on game days.
7. Generate content for blogs, features and 'M' Magazine as assigned by Publications Director.
8. Produce original multi-media content for web (audio, video, Twitter, Facebook, podcasts).
9. Serve as media coordinator for events involving assigned sport, managing media operations and computerized statistical program for official game stats and live event coverage. Coordinates post-game press conference or media availability and distribute/post final official statistics to media, coaches and public.
10. Following the season, archives statistics, results, news clippings, photography and bios for coaches and student-athletes following the season ending checklist.
11. Responsible for layout, design and writing a variety of publications for both print and MGoBlue.com -- including yearbooks, record books, supplemental guides, postseason and game day materials for assigned sport(s) with publications coordinator.
•Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or related field.
• Minimum of 5-8 years related experience in communications and sports information/media relations.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Able to handle difficult and challenging issues/situations immediately.
• General knowledge of various collegiate sports and how they operate.
• Ability to coordinate sport game operations and event management.
• Knowledge of the following software programs: Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite particularly InDesign, Photoshop and Bridge.
• Familiarity with sport specific statistical programs (Stat Crew).
• Ability to publish web content using CBS Interactive content management tool (Netitor).
• Compliance/understanding of Big Ten and NCAA rules.
• Must be able to establish and maintain positive working relationships with staff, coaches and student-athletes and external entities.
• Must possess outstanding interpersonal and communication skills -- verbal and written; excellent problem analysis and problem-solving skills; attention to detail and accuracy; outstanding customer service orientation; adaptability; initiative; and stress tolerance.
Go online to apply:
All materials must be uploaded to the University of Michigan job posting website. Please do not send resumes or writing samples to the Media Relations Department.