In light of the Ndamukong Suh suspension, I got to thinking about Detroit athletes that have been hated by the rest of America. Of course everyone always points to Bill Laimbeer (deservedly so), but it goes much further than that. So with that in mind, I thought I'd compile who I thought were the most hated Detroit athletes. Turns out, Detroit probably has the biggest collection of hated athletes in the history of professional sports.
1. Ty Cobb- Meanest son of a bitch that's ever received money for playing a professional sport, hands down, end of discussion. Would recieve death threats by the hundreds every week, in addition to the standard hate mail.
2. Bill Laimbeer- To this day, will still get booed by NBA crowds. Once named by Sports Illustrated as the most hated man in sports.
3. Dennis Rodman- You'd be hard pressed to find an basketball player more disliked.
4. Bobby Layne- People hated his night life, and how all the morning cab drivers knew his name. Only professional athlete since Babe Ruth that could perform at an all star level completely drunk.
5. Bob Probert- Opposing fans opinions of him ranged from thug, goon, and hack artist. (F*uck them though, I loved him growing up)
6. Isiah Thomas- Most would agree he's one of the 50 best players of all time, but the snubbing of the bulls after they eliminated the pistons, really harmed Zeke's image around the league.
7. Dick "Night Train" Lane- His ferocious play infuriated opposing fans, and like ohio fans of today, fans would constantly hope injury on him.
8. Rasheed Wallace- "Ball don't lie" and neither did the boos that Sheed got while playing in road games.
9. Hank Greenberg- Being the first Jewish sports superstar, came with a lot of drawbacks fort the times Greenberg played in. The racism and anti semitic actions and comments he'd have to endure, rivaled what Jackie Robinson experienced.
10. Ted Lindsay- It was impossible to for opposing fans to hate Goride Howe, given his peaceful demeanor, so they chose to hate Lindsay.