John U. Bacon talked to Sam on WTKA this morning. Here are some of the more interesting things he said:
1. The administration's timeline for picking a new AD may be very different than the fans' timeline. He referenced athletics/football as being "not Schlissel's thing."
Neither JUB nor Sam have heard anything about having a new AD by the end of this month. JUB referred to "very good sources" who haven't mentioned this...Note: JUB was not saying that Michigan won't have a new AD by the end of the month. He just hasn't heard that it will.
2. He mentioned that, in his opinion, it's easier to hire a new AD quickly than it is a coach. He also said that it might be more important for the new AD to have Michigan ties than the new coach, because the new AD will have to unify various factions.
3. Hackett, not Schlissel, appears to be running things as far as finding a permanent AD.
4. He thinks Coach Hoke will be back if he manages to beat OSU and finish 7-5. He believes Michigan would prefer not to make a change. EDIT: Let me add one thing: He was talking about this in the context of saying Michigan is conservative (in a non-political sense) when it comes to making changes with regard to any issue.
5. He thinks there's a 50-50 chance of landing Jim Harbaugh if Michigan fires Coach Hoke. He said it's "far from a done deal" and said Harbaugh wouldn't come back to college for any other program.
6. He thinks an experienced AD will be important if Michigan can't land Jim Harbaugh.
7. He would "bet against" Michigan landing John Harbaugh.
8. The "Michigan Man factor" will be an issue when hiring a coach but not an overwhelming one. He thinks Michigan learned from hiring Coach Hoke that being a "Michigan Man" is overrated.