These are from the mouths of a couple ardent PSU fans who relayed to me some of the things other PSU fans talk about. This is what happens when its You vs. The Rational World. More proof that truth is stranger than fictio -- you couldn't make up some of these (#2 and #4 in particular), I mean, unless you actually believed them to be true.
1. ITS THE SANCTIONS -- You've all heard this, but it continues to this day. Why did PSU not have backup linebackers? B/c the sanctions crippled recruiting over the years. Why does the OL suck? B/c for years the sanctions deprived them of having full teams for practice. It's the one excuse that explains everything away, and continues to do so.
2. COACHING CONSPIRACY -- This one's my favorite. We all "know" B1G schools have been negatively recruiting PSU. And coaches who have been most successful at this have been "rewarded" with HC gigs "in PSU's main recruiting territory," to continue that negative recruiting. The proof:
MSU DC Narduzzi --> PA (Pitt)
OSU DC Ash --> NJ (Rutgers)
UM DC Durken --> MD (UMd)
See? You can't deny those "facts." People involved in negatively recruiting PSU for things that aren't PSU's fault (Sandusky, media frenzy, Hackenberg, etc.) are now put in position to further undermine PSU's ability to restock itself.
3. ITS NOT THE COACHES -- Franklin is a great guy and no one could be expected to do well against the forces against him. Oh, and Bill O'Brien? He didn't abandon ship. Rather, he wants to be HC of the Patriots when Gawd retires, so he wanted to get into the NFL as an HC as soon as he could and prepare himself for that.
4. IT'S ACTUALLY ALL HACKENBERG'S FAULT -- Kid was a mess between the ears, and because he sold the program to rely on him so much, he single-handedly tanked the program's recovery. Had the kid been good, we wouldn't be here talking about the demise of PSU. They'd have been winning, getting top recruits as a result, etc.
5. IT'S THE MEDIA'S FAULT. The media LOVES tearing down successful programs. They's rather that USC, PSU, etc. all suck than be successful. (Of course if you take this logic to the extreme... then the media would prefer that all the blue bloods suck, and the national championship be decided between Boise St., Northern Illinois, Connecticutt and Purdue.)
Dudes and dudettes, when you have this much blame to go around ... of course PSU fans can feel victimized by everyone else.