Like most of you, I have been unable to focus on much else besides The Game this week; while perusing various OSU and UM websites, I found two interesting polls (one conducted by each fanbase) to detail anxiety levels for The Game. The scales/questions were not identical, but it's interesting to see responses from both sides of this great rivalry given both polls had large sample sizes.
First, the enemies (http://www.elevenwarriors.com/polls/2016/11/nervousness-for-the-game). Eleven Warriors conducted a poll measuring "Nervousness for The Game" (3,208 respondents)
- 32% of Buckeye fans say they are "Extremely" nervous
- 49% of Buckeye fans describe themselves as "Moderately" nervous
- 13% of Buckeye fans are "A Little" nervous.
- Only 5% of Buckeye fans say they are not nervous.
Maize n Brew's poll had 2,732 responses; the question asked about "Confidence" instead of nerves. You can still vote at the following link: (http://www.maizenbrew.com/2016/11/21/13625024/michigan-wolverines-ohio-state-buckeyes-so-how-confident-do-you-feel-about-the-game)
- 3% of Michigan fans say they are "Very Confident"
- 7% describe themselves as "Confident"
- 45% of Wolverine fans describe themselves as "Optimistic"
- 25% of UM fans are "Definitely Getting Worried"
- 17% of us are "Very Worried"
- 2% of Michigan fans are so hopeless they are having an "Existential Crisis"
Overall, Michigan fans seem more nervous/less confident on the aggregate which makes sense given recent history, home field disadvantage and that we have the most significant injury of either side going into The Game. However, both fan bases are definitely on edge, given over 70% of Buckeye fans are at least moderately nervous.
We are finally back to the way things should be for this great rivalry: tensions and stakes high for both sides.