Especially with 2019 DTs Smith and Hinton in the fold, maybe Michigan has built up some recruiting momentum on the d-line to start thinking about uber-recruit Zach Harrison as at least possible, if still very unlikely. By way of background, here's the 247 profile (link) for the 4th-ranked 2019 prospect. His OV to Michigan was this weekend (June 21).
In this brief clip from Sam Webb and Josh Newkirk (link), overall, it seems like Michigan did as well as they could, though the long-term impact has yet to be seen. Other highlights:
- Sam feels like this moved them past Penn State, but not Ohio State. Wolverines are still chasing the Buckeyes.
- Al Washington seems to be Michigan's point man and is developing a good relationship with Harrison. He's had a 'significant impact' on improving the relationship.
- Paye, Kemp, and Vilain are his student hosts/recruiters.
- Michigan effectively addressed some negative recruiting issues, which Sam says didn't necessarily come from Ohio State.
- Unfortunately, his OV to Ohio State was right after his Michigan visit. I have found no articles on how this went, though I'm sure it was more than fine.
- Sam thinks Harrison is sincere about looking at schools outside of Ohio State.
- Harrison will look to end his commitment around his birthday in mid-August.
- Michigan's Recruiting BBQ will take place right before Harrison's decision date.
Michigan and Ohio State both have strong arguments to make when it comes to success on placing DL guys in the NFL. Interestingly, Michigan has the better DL class for 2019 at this point, though OSU's historic recruiting success and strong overall class probably minimizes that.
Harrison plays it pretty close to the vest; there aren't many reports on his preferences, objectives, leanings, etc. I have read some conflicting things about Michigan fandom in his part of the state (which is basically a suburb of Columbus). If Michigan has a legitimate shot, what I think ultimately messes things up is his commitment date. If Harrison was committing later in the year, Michigan would have more time/opportunity to pitch replacing Gary and a righted ship (assuming Michigan won some games). On the other hand, if he shows up to the BBQ...