[Ed-M: Cleaned it up and bumped to Diary for excellence, and because I'm as anxious as the rest of you for what could be the first UFR of middle linebacker competence since David Harris. In lieu of the real UFR, which I imagine Brian will have up in the next few days, here's a whet. Note, probably best to read it while re-watching game on DVR or torrent -- there's no context written in]
1.) I will not make any conclusions from this. It is only one game. However, feel free to look at my other post: http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/demens-vs-ezeh#comment-716323 which, together with this, describes all his playing time.
2.) I tend to be more negative towards Demens. This is out of fear that if I get my hopes up I will somehow jinx him. Therefore, what you see will be more negative than positive. HOWEVA: He's still better than Ezeh.
3.) Thank you Mods for cleaning this up. I am working on making all my future posts beautiful, but appreciate the help for a novice.
4.) BTW: this wasn't meant to be a diary but hell I'll take it.]
This is not a UFR but a UFR on Demens. I hope that this helps everyone and should be an addition to my earlier post about Demens' vs. Ezeh. Here is my analysis of Demens against Iowa.
- First play: Good read and was one of three tacklers
- 3rd down: Bad angle, but the play was dead before he had to make a play. Lead to a PUNT!
- Bit on the fake, but was there in time to make a nice hit
- Almost intercepted pass, but not in his zone. Again bit up run, even though it wasn't even a play fake! Still was in the relative area of his zone. I’d give him a -1. On that though, Mouton was also in the zone. Someone help. MAGNUS/BRIAN/OTHER?
- One other play we gave him a blitz, but it was a false start. He was blocked.
- Pass play right to the guy that #22 was covering. Demens at least siddled back, but was out of the picture. I’m assuming he was the OLB on the top of the screen. If he wasn’t apologies.
This is when Obi comes in and gets pancaked. Ignoring this crap/drive.
- Demens back in at 2:02 and he either misses his guy or there are two in his zone. Still can’t tell because he’s covering the deep middle, but isn’t that the safeties’ responsibility? Anyways, he gets the tackle after a bad (not poor, which I grade as “worse than bad” angle)
- Next play: I blame this on Mouton. Demens gets off his block, but that was Mouton’s assignment.
- Next two plays: I couldn’t tell if Demens was in (edit, it was Demens. Look at the time 2:57. That‘s him on the bottom of the pile), but the first one was a penalty on JT for “holding” or “PI” and the one after that the MLB stuffed the play. I don’t think it was Ezeh tho, so I’ll have to believe it was Demens.
- On the TD that started at 3:06: Demens slams the TE to the turf then goes back to his assignment (the middle protect). This one wasn’t his fault since I believe we’re in a zone. Who had flats? #5. Damn his slip.
- Demens slips outside with the TE then runs up on the QB. Not sure if this was him knowing or DERPing up. Either way, an incomplete pass.
- Next: screen play. He’s the ONLY ONE who reads it. He gets blocked by one of 4 linemen in front of him. Still, he at least read it.
- Failed on the counter. The gain was only 2 yards, but he bit.
- On the weird “barely caught” TD: He was guarding the RB. Nothing special here.
- Got blocked on the 4 yard gain. At least he attacked. At most he attacked.
- Pass to McNut but Demens left his man open too on a man-to-man assignment. The dude (that Demens was covering) was only a TE also.
- Demens wasn’t on the screen in the next play, as Stanzi ran for like….1 yard?
- Covered the RB out of the backfield so well he still pushed him after the incompletion.
- Wasn’t in on the first down @ 4:38. That play was also a 3rd and 14, and Roh was the MLB.
- Failed play on the 1st&10 that gave them 5 yards. The whole LB corps bit on that counter.
- Blocked on the next play as well. Mouton makes the tackle.
- Covered the RB but the play was away from him.
- Last play of the 2nd quarter: misses the hole. Might have been assigned to the wrong gap, but he hit the non-RB hole.
- HIts the hole and stops the OL from doing anything. Hits it with authority. The play goes for nothing.
- Pass play. Again he covers the RB. Again, not a pass towards him.
- RVB makes the play, but Demens was blocked while trying to read the play. This was the only time I’ve seen him play like Obi so far this game. Seriously. Play starts at 5:45 for those lost.
- After the punt: great sealing block by the lineman on Demens. Demens wasn’t out of position, just the OL was in great position.
- Demens hits his hole with authority, preventing a cutback. The play is to Mouton’s hole, and Mouton makes the play.
- 3rd down. He’s out of the screen because the play is a deep pass (Cam is the only one on the screen).
- PUNT! (one of many, I just wanted to say it)
- Lots-of-yards pass to McNutt: Demens didn’t screw anything up here. He had a zone, and he was in it. Maybe minus for him not seeing that no one was coming to his zone, but I doubt it. We’re not in the NFL. (We’re at 6:36 if you’re wondering)
- Again, zone pass protect. He lost the #38 player (Rogers) here. Pass protect fail.
- Good job reading the run on the next play and hitting his hole.
- HIts the TE on the next play as the TE goes out on a route. However, he’s too slow to guard the TE. The play ends up going to another man, but Demens misses the play.
- On the last play of the 3rd quarter TD: Demens does a great job and if Mouton/RPS (from Brian) doesn’t F-up then it’s a good play for Demens and the whole D.
- Not Demens’ fault. Mouton misses the guy. (as an aside, listen to the splice of 7:27-7:32) really funny how that worked out.
- MY FAVORITE PLAY YET! Demens plays his hole, reads the OL, and then hits the RB backwards. Imagine the opposite. You’d have Ezeh. (starts at 7:47)
- Gets blocked by the C but still makes the tackle even though the play runs towards Mouton’s side (away from him).
- Bring the house blitz. Couldn’t do anything there. Maybe could have been offsides and sacked to stop the pass? (It went for a TD)
- Reads, and the play goes to his hole. Tackles. 1 yard gain. Check that: he hits, but the RB goes forward after contact to make it a 4 yard gain. Fuuu…
- Again, hits the hole. Doesn’t get off the block (nor does anyone for that matter) and the DBs have to make the stop. Also, the play was away from him. He again got mixed in the counter.
- You might remember this play: ball is fumbled and we come down on it….anyways….false start.
- RB runs a stretch and then tries to cut back. Demens says “no” and tackles him. PUNT!
- Fake to the RB. Demens bites. So does everyone else. Play goes for a 1st BUT….illegal formation. HAHA
- Then…(Is this a mistake?) the same play? Same exact results? WHAT?
- Then Kovaks says “give me a 4 year scholarship” and gets a TFL. Demens sidesteps a defender on this play.
- Demens has the RB again on a pass play, but McNutt gets the 1st.
- Good flow to the ball and then gets the stop for ½ yards.
- Couldn’t watch the last two plays.
This is supposed to be a summary of Demens' play. I do not want to give him my UFR because me:Brian::suck:awesome.