Someone asked for it in the RR press conference post comments, so here is my attempt at it. I'm just going off the MSU athletics site's press conference notes, but helpfully (hopefully) distilling it into the salient points. If I'm actually diligent enough to keep this up (between work, school, and family), I'll try to do this every week for all our opponents through the end of the season. We'll see what happens.
- Starts off with some comments about being disappointed in the 1-3 start, but encouraged that the losses have been close. Also is very complimentary of Tate; the "big playmakers on the offensive side of the ball" in Denard Robinson, Carlos Brown, Brandon Minor, Martavious Odoms, and Greg Matthews.
- Comments that we're on our 3rd DC in 3 years, so learning curve and all that but, again, complimentary of our "very good players," citing specifically Obi Ezeh, Brandon Graham, and Donovan Warren.
- On the Defense: need to be aware of the deep ball, as well as tackling better. He mentioned something about being better structurally, which I take to mean coaching and calling formations on the defensive end.
- On the QB situation: doesn't commit to one QB. Suggests it's a momentum thing and that he'll play the guy who gives them the best chance to win. Says there is no sense of frustration that one QB has not emerged. (For the record, it seems sparty fans are calling for Kirk Cousins to take over.) Also has 10 positions on the depth chart with "Player A or Player B" listed as the starter. He says it's a competition thing. Here is the link to the Depth Chart.
- On their OL: says the starting C being out the last 2.5 games has affected their running game negatively. Current guy, John Stipek, was recruited as a DL. A bit of a revolving door on the right side of the line (RG, RT). Also had an injury at LG. Says that although their technique is lacking, they haven't missed many assignments.
- On the DL: have had a couple minor injuries and youth affecting level of play. Basically need to get better at everything - "provide more pass rush, get off blocks and use our hands better, and apply four man pressure a little bit better."
- On Greg Jones: great player, but in a new position this year (Mike, was Sam last year) and can still improve.
- On punt/kick coverage: this question was probably asked with Daryll Stonum in mind. Dantonio responds that punt coverage has been good, but that they lost their kicker (Boleski), who could kick it deep. Other than a long return last week to the 40 (on which he claims there was a clip), they've generally contained the returns.
- On the rivalry: they, too, are in a little more of a bunker mentality with closed practices, etc. Intense focus because this is an intense rivalry. The reporter mentions the "bow down little brother" thing and Dantonio basically validates that feeling. He says every team needs a rival, and that this is it for most people in the state, "at least if you're green." (note the subtle dig)
- On the WRs: Blair White has been emerging, with a solid 2nd half of the season last year. (He is their go-to WR at this point, leading the team in yards, receptions, and TDs. Dell appears to be their big-play guy, though)