A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to play with some web scraping and RShiny and thought building a toy for the MGoCommunity to be able to look at old players would be a fun project.
I now have the points to actually post a new message and it's all up-to-date, so here it is:
I've put the project up on github:
for anyone to grab and improve. Until I move it to a different host, I'll need to keep the live version updated if anyone makes changes.
Things it can do:
- Make plots of individual players pluses, minuses, and total +/- from the charts of all the UFRs since the end of 2005.
- Look at position group totals as well in the same way as above
- Aggregate numbers to their mean by year for cleaner viewing
- Compare players +/- side-by-side on the same scale
- There is a sortable table for looking at best/worst career/season/game or for looking at the raw data for any players
- RPS/other team metrics can be viewed in the Single Player Tab, their position is "TM" in the Sortable Table if that matters
- Top 10/Bottom 10 lists - quick look at a wall of fame/shame to get context for particularly big or rough games.
- Automatically checks for new UFR data on viewing. Should keep it up to date as long as it's used (probably at least by me) every 4 games or so.
Things to fix:
- Pressure metric for D is missing since 2010 due to a typo in my scraping. I'll fix it at some point but this is a side project for me so timeframe is unknown
- iOS support bug - for some reason there is a resizing issue on iOS devices. No clue why; will try to fix it later
- Possibly change hosting do to some of the restrictions on that current host. I'll assess that based on traffic
Things to add:
Panel for Top 10/Bottom 10 lists - I already have the functions to do that and it's easy for anyone to check on their own with the table, but it would still be nice to have a dedicated panel to quickly look at a wall of fame/shame to get context for particularly big or rough games
- "Similar players" tool for trying to get an idea for who is grading out similar to players past - good and bad.
- Add ability to adjust for # of plays in a game. Would be even better to adjust for playing time per person, but that might be ambitious.
I've started sharing a few of the plots in UFR threads in order to finally get the mgopoints to be able to post (Been a lurker since forever...). Some examples are below. The x-axis labels should be more legible on the web app:
I hope the community likes it, please give feedback! Feel free to "Save Image As..." and share images at your leisure, though obviously I'd appreciate the source being mentioned.